T/C omega 250 gr Thor. BH209 100 gr by volume or weight?

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Drew CO this year. Bought this gun from an individual who said this combo worked great out to 200+ yds . Can't remember if he said 100 grains by volume or weight. Have read others go by each measurement. Not sure which is typical. Thanks

rayporter

WKR
100 gr blackhorn by wt. will get you in trouble. for this reason that load has to be by by volume. powder is meant to be weighted but since you cant carry a scale with you people end up going by volume. if you preweigh at home you can get more accurate loads.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

some checking of volume measures has revealed they are not all created equal.

I would test them by weight. Test 77gr,80gr,84gr lit with a 209M primer. Whatever groups best for you then I measure out at least 6 charges and fill speed loaders to take on the hunt.
I highly recommend using a spin jag for loading also. Much easier than a standard jag.

Drew CO this year. Bought this gun from an individual who said this combo worked great out to 200+ yds . Can't remember if he said 100 grains by volume or weight. Have read others go by each measurement. Not sure which is typical. Thanks

Western Powders strongly suggests that you measure BH by volume. If you use equivalent weight the weight can vary from lot-to-lot. Western says by using volume you will more closely maintain your original velocities even from lot-to-lot

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Went out today and shot 10 rounds from 25 to 100. They're a little hard to seat so I'll get that spin jag. Way tighter than what I expected, but all shots were consistent. Flat out to about 80-85 yards. 2" high at 100. Very impressed with the consistency. My only question is how do you know if 100 gr is enough or not enough. Want to maximize velocity without getting the fouling of too much powder. What do you guys think? After each shot swabbed with a dry patch, another patch with window cleaner and then 2 dry patches. Seemed to work.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
I know it's overkill but my thought process is to keep conditions as close to that 1st shot scenario as possible. Even doing that I'm not getting near the residue as with Pyrodex in the past per shot.

i wrote this big response about experimenting with different sabots to help with the tight bore issue and then realized you guys can't use them in colorodo. not to hijack but what's the reasoning behind that?

FURMAN

WKR
Stop cleaning between shots. You won't be able to do that in the field. You need to know how it shoots with a fowled barrel. I always clean before a hunt and fowl the day before. I know how follow up shots are going to act. I suggest always loading by volume for reasons already stated. I have found 110 grains to work best in multiple guns but you should test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice guys. I'm going to shoot at 100+ yds this next session to verify bullet drop. After that start increasing grains to see if it helps/hurts bullet drop and barrel fouling.