T/C Pro Hunter for western hunting?

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be doing my first muley and elk hunting in Colorado this year. I had initially planned on selling my Pro Hunter ML to get a mid-range bolt gun. The problem is that I have ALL of my other backcountry gear that I need to buy (pack, sleep system, etc.) so money will likely be tight. I've always liked the feel of the pro hunter and started thinking that I should just buy a 308 or 30-06 barrel for it and go from there. It would be several hundred dollars cheaper to go this route. It's a pretty heavy gun but I like it well enough (despite not having much field time with it. I hate ML'ers.). I'm primarily a bow hunter but want a nice rifle for when I decide to go out with one. Any thoughts or recommendations?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
When I had a TC pro hunter I seem to recall that most barrels were in the $300-$400 range. To me that puts ya squarely in the price range of a Ruger American. Keep the pro hunter ML as they are very nice for that and then use that money you would have spent on a barrel and get a Ruger American of your chalice. It'll be much lighter than the pro hunter and give you faster follow up shots if needed than just a simple single shot.

slvrslngr

WKR
Hard to argue with Luke. I might add that if you shop around, there are other options than the American (not that there is anything wrong with them). And the choice of 308/30-06 is a good one.

OP
Felix1776

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I had been eyeing the Savage 116s but I keep hearing nothing but good things about the Rugers. I've never been into Rugers much due to some personal bias based on zero experience with their guns (other than the LC9). I'm a big believer is KISS. I like guns that are simple, reliable, accurate, and very utilitarian. If I drop it down the side of a mountain, as long as it still shoots straight, I won't be crying about it. For me, it's a tool used to collect meat. I'm a lot different when it comes to archery equipment, though. The basic Ruger American has a lot of nice features for less than $500.

hodgeman

WKR
I've had good experiences with the Ruger American and the Savage 16 so it's hard to really go wrong.

Of course- sticking an '06 barrel on your Pro hunter isn't exactly a bad idea either. While most barrels for 300-400 new, there seems to be a big second hand market for all things TC. A buddy just picked up a nearly new stainless 280 barrel for $200. If I recall, you'll need a forend to go with your new barrel as well.

Not sure there's a really bad choice here.

adamm88

WKR
You can get a new bergada 30-06 barrel for about $160 from haus of arms. I dont think you need a new forarm either, but i could be wrong, the tc is about a simplistic as it gets which you said you like but you just dont get a quick followup shot with the tc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Felix1776

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a new bergada 30-06 barrel for about $160 from haus of arms. I dont think you need a new forarm either, but i could be wrong, the tc is about a simplistic as it gets which you said you like but you just dont get a quick followup shot with the tc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a pretty amazing deal considering TC wants like $400.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Like my encore and contender. Unfortunately am hooked on bullberry barrels. Most have been 600+

Axlrod

WKR
I have hunted with a tc in 280 ackley very accurate and compact rifle. Have killed elk out to 722 yards. with a little practice follow up speed shouldn't be an issue

kpk

WKR
I was in the same spot years ago. I went to Cabelas to pick up a rifle barrel for my Encore and ended up coming home with a Savage in 7mm. The Savage was on sale and it ended up being the same price as buying just the barrel for my Encore.

GKPrice

Banned
after reading the "......PBR version" thread I've decided to give an American a try, 7mm/08 I believe - most likely go stainless compact - I've set 2 up for first timers when they were newly out and they both shot and hunted extremely well - thinking it will be a great first game rifle for my Grandson - BUT those T/C Contenders are great rifles and pretty darn versatile (Whew !)

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Hey GKPrice. Post a review on the Stainless American Compact if you do go that route please. I've been considering one of those as well. Seems like a lot of gun for the money.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am looking at getting the stainless compact in 308 win as my beater truck gun. Stock it with some 200 grain partitions as my oh crap there is a bear I can take when out and about ;)

My fro can get them for less than $430 in stainless so toss a redfield 3-9 scope on it and rock on ;)

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
I was in a gun shop an hour from me today they have some encore barrels on consignment. a 7mm rm with forend I think its the pro hunter- 28" stainless fluted for $225. if you want their # pm me. there were some blued ones in 284 win 7-08 and 338 win mag
around $325 if i remember right