T/C Strike and Conicals

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a CO muzzy tag and unfortunately my Knight Ultralite is not CO legal so I'll be borrowing a T/C Strike for this trip. Does anyone on here have any specific experience using a T/C strike will conicals? My current plan is to start with sizing kits from Thor bullets and another of the Fury star tips. Once I have the sizing squared away I'll start testing them over T7 and BH209. I've read on here that there seems to be some concern with the QLA on certain T/C barrels that causes issues when shooting full bore bullets. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

If the Strike has a QLA there could be a problem when shooting conicals. You really will not know until you try shooting. The problem does kind of disappear when shooting powder belts. The plastic skirts normally solve the problem.

This drawing tries to show the possible problem with the TC QLA muzzle. Not all TC QLA's will show this problem some shoot conicals very well.

TC-QLA.jpg

I am assuming that your ULite is not a Western ULite so you do not have the ability to install a front sight. Since it is really early another thing you could do is send an email to Justin at Knight Rifles and ask him if Knight would drill and tap the muzzle so you can make your rifle Colorado legal. Actually any really good gun smith could do the work also. With thin diameter of the ULite barrel at the muzzle getting the right depth is essentual.

This is my Western Ulite with a NECG peep site installed. You could also use the less expensive Williams WGRS peep

NECG-a.jpg

Williams also make a front ramp to fit a Knight rifle hole pattern

Front-Sight-set-up.jpg

OP
R

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
It does have the QLA according to their website. I won't know for sure how it shoots until I try it. I saw that diagram in another thread and that is what made me check the gun and ask my original question. I had thought about the power belts but there is a lot of negativity surrounding them (from what I have read on here anyway and everything on the internet is true) but it also looks like guys are trying to run light and fast and that causes them to come apart. My inclination with those would be to run as heavy as possible and see what kind of accuracy I could get with between 85 to 100 gr of powder.

I had not considered having the barrel tapped for a front sight but I had seen the dovetail peeps. I'll reach out to Justin and see what the cost would be. There is a company close to me that builds custom, long-range muzzleloaders and I may talk to them as well and see if they have the capability. If the heavier power belts will work then that will definitely be the easiest route. Thanks for the info.

It does have the QLA according to their website. I won't know for sure how it shoots until I try it. I saw that diagram in another thread and that is what made me check the gun and ask my original question. I had thought about the power belts but there is a lot of negativity surrounding them (from what I have read on here anyway and everything on the internet is true) but it also looks like guys are trying to run light and fast and that causes them to come apart. My inclination with those would be to run as heavy as possible and see what kind of accuracy I could get with between 85 to 100 gr of powder.

I had not considered having the barrel tapped for a front sight but I had seen the dovetail peeps. I'll reach out to Justin and see what the cost would be. There is a company close to me that builds custom, long-range muzzleloaders and I may talk to them as well and see if they have the capability. If the heavier power belts will work then that will definitely be the easiest route. Thanks for the info.

I hate PowerBelts… but, they are certainly accurate. The heavier power belts would/will work just don't drive them to hard that is normally the reason they fail - but wait in Colorado you can use the better PowerBelt! Lost the name right now. These!

These by most accounts are far better than the lead PB's at staying together...

Not sure what Justin might charge but the cost of shipping could mess that up....

Your Custom guy might actually be the best bet. I think he would be use to dealing with the thinner type barrels.

Here are the part numbers for the front sight:

Brownells
NECG Peep

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/peep-sight-prod9643.aspx

Warne Bases W826/826B

947-000-166WB
Maxima 2-Piece Base Knight Disc Matte
Mfr Part: M826826M

Front Ramp
962-020-097WB
Streamlined Ramp 3/16" 1.625 Hole Spacing Screw-on
Mfr Part: 1690

Williams front fire Sight
962-564-350WB

Red Fire Sight fits .343N
Mfr Part: 56434

Fire sight Hood
962-000-016WB
Fire Sight Hood
Mfr Part: 70031

Hope some of this helps... if you go with the Williams might want him to install the sight - he will probably have to shorten the installation screws.

OP
R

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info. You’ve been a great resource. I have an email in to Knight so we’ll see what they say. Those powerbelt platinums may be the most cost effective and most simple solution.