T-minus 294 Days until my first western hunt

Youngbuck

FNG
Apologize in advance for the long post. Purpose of this thread, wanting to document everything I've done/doing, to help someone else who may be doing the same thing, and also to seek advice from some of the guys with more experience. This site is loaded with great info and has been invaluable to me thus far. If you see something I'm missing, or maybe something I should do different, please feel free to comment or PM me. Over the past three years, I've been planning and collecting gear for a western hunt. Initially, wanted to head out this year, but again, it was pushed back another year.

Well, I've finally put in for vacation from work for 2020, and planning to head to Idaho Sept. 25th-Oct 23rd. I would've loved to come out the first of September, but I wasn't able to take off until the last week of Sept. Current plans are to leave SC Friday afternoon and head to Idaho. Total drive time will be around 36 hr. Will try to drive around 15-16hr Sat and Sun, with hotel stops in between to rest up. Hoping to arrive Monday around noon and hike in to set up camp and start scouting until the season starts Oct. 1st, and will hunt until the 23rd. as I have to be back to work the 27th. Hopefully, it won't take that many days, but wanted to have flexibility to relocate should I start off in a bad spot. I've been using OnX maps heavily and have a few different spots (plan B, C and D) picked out should I not find elk or something else come up at the first location I go to.

I've toyed with the idea of flying, as it will save a considerable amount of time, and no doubt, I'd be more rested, but I've also seen where some people have had trouble with rentals, and then the issue of shipping gear, meat, antlers etc. comes into play. I'm not completely convinced it would be worth it, but that is subject to change between now and Sept.

At the start of my planning, it was supposed to be me and a co-worker that was going, but the more we have talked about it, I think the less he is wanting to go. He is a hardcore whitetail hunter, and while I'm 27, he is 45, and I think he is intimidated by the rugged terrain.(to be honest, that's probably my biggest concern as well coming from low elevation). He has also mentioned he is concerned with coming all the way to Idaho, spending a lot of money on gear and license, and not even seeing an animal. He has talked about going guided, which I would be fine with, but he doesn't want to pay the guided price. :rolleyes: So as of right now, I'll be going solo, unless I find someone on here with similar plans for next year.

As far as a certain unit, I have several I've been researching for awhile, all within 2 different zones. Only way those would change, is if I somehow draw a controlled hunt since Idaho doesn't require points. (side note, I will also be applying in Wyoming for a controlled hunt. I have one point there. highly unlikely, but possible I guess) I'm planning to buy the Idaho combo tag, for deer and elk so I'm hoping that will up my chances of not coming home empty handed, as I'm pretty sure you can also use for bear, lion or wolf in place of an elk/deer. 🤞

Currently, my biggest challenge, will be getting into shape. I've seen several post, about how no matter how much preparing was done, they were still not prepared for the rugged and steep terrain out west. My current elevation is a whopping 425ft! Yes, that's four HUNDRED , 23ft. Big difference from the western mountains. Of all the units I'm looking at, the steepest elevation is around 7800', so not as bad as some of the others I've read about. I've been hitting the gym several times a week and trying to up my cardio to prepare my lungs. I wasn't in bad shape before, but nowhere near where I feel like I need to be.

I'll try to list out the gear I have, and if you see something I should add, something I should change, or maybe something you used that didn't work out, please let me know. Again, sorry for the long post, but you guys have helped me a ton over the last few years, and if I'm being honest, without this site, probably wouldn't have made it this far. Thanks again

Werty

WKR
If you're taking almost a month off, I would definitely drive.
I agree that you can never be in too good of shape, but acclimating to elevation is something that just takes time. I live at 4800 and I deal with it at the beginning of the season. I'm a big fan of burpees and stairs.

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
So here is my gear list of things I have so far. At the bottom, I will list the things I still have to get. Another thing I didn't mention before, this will be a rifle hunt. Rifle is a x-bolt .300 win mag, Leupold vx5hd 3x15x44

Clothes - Mostly Sitka, Timberline pants, merino core zip, midweight zip, traverse zip t, mountain vest, lightweight hoody, jet stream jacket, kelvin active jacket, Under armour base 4.0 base layers.

Boots - Irish setter Vapr tek. I've had these for awhile and wear great.

Pack - Mystery Ranch metcalf

Bino/harness - Swaro 12x50EL in a marsupial harness

Tripod/panhead - Sirui Va-5 head on a sirui T-S** carbon tripod (cant remember exact model)

Thermorest neoair pad with thermorest pillow

Jetboil flash with long spoon

Garmin inreach mini and 64st

Dark energy Poseidon battery pack with goal zero nomad 7 plus solar panel

Sleeping bag is a Cabela's xpg 30* that I've had for a few years, been thinking of upgrading this

Shelter is an MSR Elixr 2, also had this a few years and have been thinking of upgrading to a hilleberg or possibly a Seek outside shelter tipi, but not sure about the floorless idea.

Misc. - several zippered dry bags, petzl nao headlamp, rocky mountain bugle tube, 2 kuiu medium bone out game bags, roll top dry bag for sleeping bag, Leupold RX1600 rangefinder

Here's the list of things I'm still needing:

Trekking poles, ive been eyeing the leki micro vario's

more game bags, planning on the carnivore III from gohunt

big puffy jacket - Kelvin down WS

diaphragm elk calls, unsure of brand

spotting scope - unsure of brand or magnification

water filtration - unsure of what I want to do here (pump, gravity system, tablets etc.)

as stated above, I'm thinking hard of upgrading my sleeping bag and tent. As far as the tent, I'm looking at the hilleberg Nallo 2GT. Seems like everyone is going to the seek outside floorless shelters with the stove, which I like, but not so sure of the floorless idea in the event there's a lot of snow/rain etc.

As far as the sleeping bag, i'm still up in the air on it. any input would be appreciated.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing, so feel free to let me know if there is anything you think I should add or maybe don't need or something that you found didn't work out for you.

Total pack weight right now including rifle, is 37.9 lbs., not counting water, food or the clothes i'll be wearing in.

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
If you're taking almost a month off, I would definitely drive.
I agree that you can never be in too good of shape, but acclimating to elevation is something that just takes time. I live at 4800 and I deal with it at the beginning of the season. I'm a big fan of burpees and stairs.

I've been on the stairstepper at the gym atleast once a week and I try to get twice a week. Those stairs are killer 🥴

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
One thing I forgot to list, was a skinning knife. I bought a havalon piranha, but after using it this deer season a couple times, it seems like the blades dull pretty fast. so I'm open to ideas/suggestions about what knife y 'all are using to break down your animal.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get a hot tent and stove setup. If you want to be able to stay backpacked in for a reasonable amount of time, you should have a way to dry your gear. Get a real sleeping bag. Your talking about being at an elevation of 7800' at the highest. In no way should you be running a 30 degree. I would say 15 maybe, I would have a 0 personally.

And be prepared for snow... chains for the truck, tire gauge and be prepared to potentially have to air down your tires to get out if it gets that nasty.

As far as the middle fork and the selway zone... they are nasty. Bad elk/deer populations unless your hunting somewhere closer to private land, which there is essentially none because these are wilderness units. Beautiful country tho. If your in the Selway zone, the whitetail populations are actually decent in certain areas.

I'll be following along here. I'm planning much of the same as you for 2020. I'm not set on a location yet, simply because I do not know enough to make an educated decision yet. I already had a lot of gear, but I'm working on some specifics and upgrading some as well.

On your fitness journey..... the stepmill will help you more than anything. It will get easier and easier as the weeks go by. Also, take your loaded pack to the gym with you. Wear it while you are on the stepmill. You may get some odd looks, but don't worry about it.

Keep us posted.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I forgot to list, was a skinning knife. I bought a havalon piranha, but after using it this deer season a couple times, it seems like the blades dull pretty fast. so I'm open to ideas/suggestions about what knife y 'all are using to break down your animal.
Check out the pathfinder knife shop they make knives that are up for some serious work my sons and I have been using them for around 3 years and couldn't be happier they run around a 120 bucks without the sheath. Unless I lose it I don't see myself shopping for another fixed blade in my lifetime. As far as being in shape being in really good flatlander shape means on days two and three you are just a little soar but are still ready to get after it. The thin air will take time sounds like you have that.

Try the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite knife. Replaceable blades but much sturdier than the Piranta. I have both but don’t carry the Havalon anymore although I have dressed out about a dozen bulls with it.

Your plan is solid but I would change one thing. Don’t pack a camp in from the start. Instead camp at the truck and scout from there. Make sure there are elk in your area before you commit the time and effort to get everything you need in the backcountry.

If I were you I’d also apply for a General license in the Special drawing un Wyoming and see what happens before buying an Idaho tag.

Oh and since it sounds like you like to be prepared you may want to Google up The Wall Tent Shop and get yourself a real elk hunting base camp where you can not only get some sleep but also dry your clothes and gear out. To me no wall tent and wood stove would be like hunting naked! Good luck pilgrim!

jmav58

WKR
Sounds like a good idea not going with your coworker. Seems like he'd look for a way out almost immediately, nothing against him but if you're 1 mile in and he wants to bail that sucks. And even if the highest peaks are 7800' don't let that fool ya, there will be some parts of those mountains that are straight up and straight down regardless of how high they go. But it sounds like you've got a plan and a desire so thats good. Good luck with your prep and keep adding to this thread.

cnelk

WKR
You're going to find out real quick that having a tent you can stand up in is a real benefit.
Even if you have to bring 2 tents for different applications/styles of hunting.

Try jumping rope. It an underrated form of exercise for elk hunting conditioning.

Shoot you bow at longer distances than you're accustomed to - makes those 20-30yd shots feel like chip shots.

You have time to get most of your gear [tent/sleep] in order and go for a weekend to a local woods and give it a try over a weekend.

Just glancing at your stuff puffy layers top and bottom. Rain layers top and bottom. Gloves that will help keep your fingers on your hand. Trash the Irish setters. Get something (like) kenetreks. Basically a mountaineering boot. Doesn’t have to be that brand. But Italian made mountain boots various makers are all pretty legit. You’ll most likely want Them insulated for that time of year in Idaho. That time of year in is freaking cold. The weather will break you if you’re not ready for it. With the feet as well. If they are frozen or if those boots blow up you’ll find yourself driving back early. Glad to hear this friend of yours isn’t going. I took a guy like that with me on my first elk hunt. Deep down I knew he wasn’t as invested as I was. But I wanted to get in the elk woods. Had 10 days mapped out came home on day 5. Just couldn’t take his negative attitude one more second. Trust me hunting partners are just as important as a good fitting pair of boots! Good luck dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty26

FNG
So I live in MD and basically did the same thing, except I didn't plan for 3 years. I decided fall of 2018 I wanted to go elk hunting in 2019. Purchased most of our gear on black Friday sales last year. Me and a few buddies bought a WY point in Oct, and got lucky and drew in the special draw for 2019.

My number 1 recommendation is take all your gear throw it in your pack and do a couple nights somewhere close to home to test your gear. My first local trip it rained and it was a complete disaster. Learned a lot about what worked and what didn't work. Took a few more trips to get things refined but this helped a ton when I got to WY. Your going to have a lot to worry about, knowing your gear works is one less thing.

As for fitness, I live at 500ft, no amount of training prepares your lungs for high altitude. I'm 41 so I knew cardio training would be my biggest friend. Started getting serious about 2 months before my trip, walked 3-5 miles every day with pack loaded from 30lb-50lb depending on how I was feeling that day. Also started a supplement regimen that I feel really helped with joint comfort.

The drive was 28 hours, we drove straight through alternating every 5-7 hours. We only had 10 days so we wanted to waste as little time as possible getting there. We drank a ton of fluids on the way, when we got there and every day of the hunt. Stay hydrated, if you do that you will acclimate to the altitude just fine. We arrived 2 days before the season started and spent those days acclimating and boots on the ground scouting. Found quickly the spots we e-scouted 5-7 miles from the trailhead were loaded with people on horseback. Those 2 days were the key to success as during that time we found an isolated drainage a mile from a road with no other hunters and a ton of elk.

By the 3rd day there, my lungs were doing good and the hiking and camping seemed easy, we really were able to just focus on hunting when the season started. Our fitness and prep ahead of time allowed for that. Then we screwed up an killed elk and had to pack them out, you will never be ready for that, packing one out absolutely sucks and hurts. But its a couple months later right now and I have forgotten the pain and just remember the awesome adventure.

I'm not sure if this rant has helped at all. Feel free to reach out with any questions you have I will help out where I can.

GregB

WKR
Since there are only 2 zone that have a 1 OCT opener I would do a search and read some of the posts about them, there are several on here. this might give you an idea of what to expect. Bring chains and recovery gear. I've been stuck in the snow up there in September. It might be 70 and sunny or 10 and snowing sideways, or both. I would also look at better boots. brands like Irish setters and danners just don't seem to hold up well in the mountains. I would upgrade the sleeping bag, and if a Hilleberg is in your price range I would definitely consider a hot tent set up. I get the impression you are planning on backpacking in so here is my two cents. You are going into the area blind and backpacking in commits you to as far as you can walk, so not a real big area. If you don't find anything then you have to burn the time it takes to get packed up and back out of there. If you truck camp you are more mobile and can cover a wider area. And where you are going there are not a lot of elk and they are hard to find. Also check the weather regularly, a big storm could come in and snow in the pass to get out of there.

Since there are only 2 zone that have a 1 OCT opener I would do a search and read some of the posts about them, there are several on here. this might give you an idea of what to expect. Bring chains and recovery gear. I've been stuck in the snow up there in September. It might be 70 and sunny or 10 and snowing sideways, or both. I would also look at better boots. brands like Irish setters and danners just don't seem to hold up well in the mountains. I would upgrade the sleeping bag, and if a Hilleberg is in your price range I would definitely consider a hot tent set up. I get the impression you are planning on backpacking in so here is my two cents. You are going into the area blind and backpacking in commits you to as far as you can walk, so not a real big area. If you don't find anything then you have to burn the time it takes to get packed up and back out of there. If you truck camp you are more mobile and can cover a wider area. And where you are going there are not a lot of elk and they are hard to find. Also check the weather regularly, a big storm could come in and snow in the pass to get out of there.

Hiiliberg or a slick bag. Agree on the boots for sure. Irish setters = frozen feet & busted feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braaap

WKR
You need a shelter with a stove. I hunted middle fork this year without a stove and I won't go back without getting a proper hot tent and stove.

I would avoid middlefork if this is your first Western hunt.

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Several have mentioned the tent with stove setup. Would you recommend one of the floorless shelters, or would the hilleberg with a stove jack work? One thing that was mentioned was the ability to stand up in the tent, which is one thing I hadn't thought about. Being 6'2, I can see where being crouched over for a long period of time would take its toll.

For the ones using the floorless shelter, what is your sleep system? bivy sack? I've also saw some people using the "tub" footprint for the seek outside shelters. I had been looking at the stoves and from research, the seek cub seemed like it would work for what I'm looking for.

The raingear I currently have is the sitka thunderhead jacket and pants. I bought it to double up for whitetail in SC, since it is pretty quiet compared to most other rain jackets. My only concern with using them for elk is if the face fabric wets out, seems like it may be pretty difficult to dry out.

As far as units, I had been looking at the Selway Zone mainly, and also the Lolo zone. Although the lolo doesn't open up until the 10th, and I wouldn't have as much time in the hunt.

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
If I were you I’d also apply for a General license in the Special drawing un Wyoming and see what happens before buying an Idaho tag.

The only thing that scares me about this is the way tags have been selling like hotcakes. Last thing I'd want to do is miss a tag completely. I think Wyoming draw is sometime in mid Feb. I've saw where a couple zones have already sold out :oops:

Carr5vols

WKR
Go lite as possible without sacrificing your life, no what if items. Being from southeast as well find as many stairs as possible load the pack and hit them 3 to 4 days a week. I would try to get some weekends in the mountains up north of greenville with a loaded pack. Like others also said good boots will make it more enjoyable.

GregB

WKR
The only thing that scares me about this is the way tags have been selling like hotcakes. Last thing I'd want to do is miss a tag completely. I think Wyoming draw is sometime in mid Feb. I've saw where a couple zones have already sold out :oops:
Keep an eye on the IDFG website. the areas you are looking at have almost all of the tags still available.