T-minus 294 Days until my first western hunt

I also live at 500 ft and elk hunt 5500-7500 ft every year. I do as much hiking as possible year round. In the 3-5 months before elk season I do my hikes with 50-70 pounds in my pack. This year I started that in April with 70 pounds until season. I hiked a trail near my house for 80 minutes 3-5 times a week from April to August. The trail is pretty evenly spit between uphill and down hill, which is important for your knees. If you only train on a stair master, you don’t condition your body for all the down hill you will be doing when actually hunting.

I have done all this with 40-50 pounds before season for the last 10-12 years. The extra weight of the 70lb pack this year really made a huge difference when season hit. I backpack hunt a lot, and typically have a 45-50 pound pack on. Most of my favorite spots are 6-8 miles out. My legs never really got tired all season, and my cardiovascular system was in tip top shape with that work out also.

7500 feet isn’t all that high, and after the first day there you won’t notice it as much. After 2-3 days you won’t really notice it at all if you get your self into reallly good shape between now and October. I can usually acclimate to the elevation. Within a day or two as long as it’s below 8000 feet. Over 10000 feet I do notice the elevation for most of the trip.

Following along as I plan to be heading to Idaho (from Kentucky)around the same time for my first elk hunt as well. Wish I had a month to take like you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
Apologize in advance for the long post. Purpose of this thread, wanting to document everything I've done/doing, to help someone else who may be doing the same thing, and also to seek advice from some of the guys with more experience. This site is loaded with great info and has been invaluable to me thus far. If you see something I'm missing, or maybe something I should do different, please feel free to comment or PM me. Over the past three years, I've been planning and collecting gear for a western hunt. Initially, wanted to head out this year, but again, it was pushed back another year.

Well, I've finally put in for vacation from work for 2020, and planning to head to Idaho Sept. 25th-Oct 23rd. I would've loved to come out the first of September, but I wasn't able to take off until the last week of Sept. Current plans are to leave SC Friday afternoon and head to Idaho. Total drive time will be around 36 hr. Will try to drive around 15-16hr Sat and Sun, with hotel stops in between to rest up. Hoping to arrive Monday around noon and hike in to set up camp and start scouting until the season starts Oct. 1st, and will hunt until the 23rd. as I have to be back to work the 27th. Hopefully, it won't take that many days, but wanted to have flexibility to relocate should I start off in a bad spot. I've been using OnX maps heavily and have a few different spots (plan B, C and D) picked out should I not find elk or something else come up at the first location I go to.

I've toyed with the idea of flying, as it will save a considerable amount of time, and no doubt, I'd be more rested, but I've also seen where some people have had trouble with rentals, and then the issue of shipping gear, meat, antlers etc. comes into play. I'm not completely convinced it would be worth it, but that is subject to change between now and Sept.

At the start of my planning, it was supposed to be me and a co-worker that was going, but the more we have talked about it, I think the less he is wanting to go. He is a hardcore whitetail hunter, and while I'm 27, he is 45, and I think he is intimidated by the rugged terrain.(to be honest, that's probably my biggest concern as well coming from low elevation). He has also mentioned he is concerned with coming all the way to Idaho, spending a lot of money on gear and license, and not even seeing an animal. He has talked about going guided, which I would be fine with, but he doesn't want to pay the guided price. :rolleyes: So as of right now, I'll be going solo, unless I find someone on here with similar plans for next year.

As far as a certain unit, I have several I've been researching for awhile, all within 2 different zones. Only way those would change, is if I somehow draw a controlled hunt since Idaho doesn't require points. (side note, I will also be applying in Wyoming for a controlled hunt. I have one point there. highly unlikely, but possible I guess) I'm planning to buy the Idaho combo tag, for deer and elk so I'm hoping that will up my chances of not coming home empty handed, as I'm pretty sure you can also use for bear, lion or wolf in place of an elk/deer. 🤞

Currently, my biggest challenge, will be getting into shape. I've seen several post, about how no matter how much preparing was done, they were still not prepared for the rugged and steep terrain out west. My current elevation is a whopping 425ft! Yes, that's four HUNDRED , 23ft. Big difference from the western mountains. Of all the units I'm looking at, the steepest elevation is around 7800', so not as bad as some of the others I've read about. I've been hitting the gym several times a week and trying to up my cardio to prepare my lungs. I wasn't in bad shape before, but nowhere near where I feel like I need to be.

I'll try to list out the gear I have, and if you see something I should add, something I should change, or maybe something you used that didn't work out, please let me know. Again, sorry for the long post, but you guys have helped me a ton over the last few years, and if I'm being honest, without this site, probably wouldn't have made it this far. Thanks again

ive hunted idaho for 25 years and some of those years I lived elsewhere. Driving and flying both have advantages. I decided driving was the better choice for me. I’ve hunted solo, in a pair, and in small pods. I feel that 2-3 people seems to be the most sucessful until you know your hunting area extremely well. Your gear list looks awesome. My personal experience is that you’ll won’t need your garmin 64 if you take your phone whic can upload your onXmaps. I ditched that piece of equipment and weight a few years back and never missed it for one minute. Your goal zero will help insure power for your phone doubling as a gps. With that extra money I’d buy more game bags. I purchased several different kinds but the lightest and my favorite have become the kuiu. For a sleeping bag there are tons of good options. I’m a value shopper and I’ve been pleased with big Agne. They sell for a good deal on discount sights like steep and cheap or others. Trekking poles have been awesome. I bought some from black diamond a few years ago and don’t leave home with out them anymore. Spotting scopes are tricky. There are good values and then some top tier scopes that you know you just crazy $ but they are good glass. Whichever you pick.....just know that in Idaho back country hunts glass makes a world of difference. You’ll see more animals and have more success. Best of luck man.

Wassid82

WKR
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Several have mentioned the tent with stove setup. Would you recommend one of the floorless shelters, or would the hilleberg with a stove jack work? One thing that was mentioned was the ability to stand up in the tent, which is one thing I hadn't thought about. Being 6'2, I can see where being crouched over for a long period of time would take its toll.

For the ones using the floorless shelter, what is your sleep system? bivy sack? I've also saw some people using the "tub" footprint for the seek outside shelters. I had been looking at the stoves and from research, the seek cub seemed like it would work for what I'm looking for.

The raingear I currently have is the sitka thunderhead jacket and pants. I bought it to double up for whitetail in SC, since it is pretty quiet compared to most other rain jackets. My only concern with using them for elk is if the face fabric wets out, seems like it may be pretty difficult to dry out.

As far as units, I had been looking at the Selway Zone mainly, and also the Lolo zone. Although the lolo doesn't open up until the 10th, and I wouldn't have as much time in the hunt.

my bro in law and I switched to floorless shelters. Only because of the stove option and we wanted to increase our mobility if necessar. i have used Bivy and they work great. I found them on some discount sights but I’ve also read of people buying tyvek siding from Home Depot and using that. Lots of options out there.

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
my bro in law and I switched to floorless shelters. Only because of the stove option and we wanted to increase our mobility if necessar. i have used Bivy and they work great. I found them on some discount sights but I’ve also read of people buying tyvek siding from Home Depot and using that. Lots of options out there.

Which shelter did you go with? I was looking at hilleberg, but seems everyone that has the floorless love them. I've been looking at the cimmaron from seek and people seem to like them. I don't see myself needing a shelter any bigger than for two people. It's hard enough finding just one hunting partner, much less a third 😂

Braaap

WKR
You're talking about staying in this shelter for around 3 weeks right? Having a decent amount of space and a stove will go a long way to keeping you comfortable and motivated.

Are you taking only one shelter? I brought three to Idaho with me this year. One for basecamp and two different options for spiking out depending on weather. It's nice to have options and leave something set up at the truck.

Fullfan

WKR
Been hunting Idaho as a non resident since 1983,many years w a rifle but last 8 with the bow. Something to think about, what are your plans for the elk/meat should you score? I have seen cold temps and warm temps in Sept. Need a plan on what to do. Take the required items to butcher, but then where and how to freeze the meat. And many parts of Idaho will humble you real fast, onx and google earth will not show you just how steep and nasty some of the country there is.

Usi05

WKR
As someone who just did his first elk hunt ever in steep country Idaho, I would vote again for testing your gear.

I live in Michigan and had no issues training for the hunt. I found biggest hill in town and hiked it with weight and ran it without weight. Also ran bleachers and did a ton of hiking with pack. I also lost 25lbs prior to leaving. I ran up and down those mountains and did fine. In fairness, I do travel to Boise for work and hiked different spots there though each time which probably helped with adjusting as quickly as I did.

Where I went wrong was not testing gear thoroughly. Shit, I had my weight distributed in my pack all wrong and my buddies didn’t even tell me until say 3 and that made a huge difference.

Test your gear and be honest with yourself about your fitness goals.

The unspoken thing is mental toughness. I would also say to start prepping yourself anyway you can with this. This is something that you either have or don’t. We hiked a ton of miles and I only had one day where I slipped a bit. After hiking 16 miles in rain without one damn bugle I was feeling it a bit.

As someone who just did his first elk hunt ever in steep country Idaho, I would vote again for testing your gear.

I live in Michigan and had no issues training for the hunt. I found biggest hill in town and hiked it with weight and ran it without weight. Also ran bleachers and did a ton of hiking with pack. I also lost 25lbs prior to leaving. I ran up and down those mountains and did fine. In fairness, I do travel to Boise for work and hiked different spots there though each time which probably helped with adjusting as quickly as I did.

Where I went wrong was not testing gear thoroughly. Shit, I had my weight distributed in my pack all wrong and my buddies didn’t even tell me until say 3 and that made a huge difference.

Test your gear and be honest with yourself about your fitness goals.

The unspoken thing is mental toughness. I would also say to start prepping yourself anyway you can with this. This is something that you either have or don’t. We hiked a ton of miles and I only had one day where I slipped a bit. After hiking 16 miles in rain without one damn bugle I was feeling it a bit.

Well said about the mental toughness and also, as has been brought up before, just general mental well being. I know it sounds a bit cheesy but if you have things that are on your mind not in good standing (wife, kids etc. that are in rough shape when you leave) it is easy to talk yourself off of the mountain when you are hunting.

Also, with the change in Wyoming app dates, 2020 the NR draw got moved back to May with the residents. It is no longer the case in WY as NR that you apply in Jan/find out in Feb. It is going to throw a lot of people for a loop this year who depended on Wyoming in the past to dictate the rest of their application strategy. Went from one of the first states to apply to one of the last states. A lot of people are going to miss out on tags IMO this next year because they are going to pass up opportunities to draw a Wy tag, only to not draw because that state is getting so difficult.

Wassid82

WKR
Which shelter did you go with? I was looking at hilleberg, but seems everyone that has the floorless love them. I've been looking at the cimmaron from seek and people seem to like them. I don't see myself needing a shelter any bigger than for two people. It's hard enough finding just one hunting partner, much less a third 😂
We both bought one because we heard different needs. We usually hunt as 2-3 guys and wanted room for 3 with gear. He bought a 6 man and I bought a used one on Craigslist that was a killer deal that was 8. Seems like the 8 was over kill. Side by side I’d choose the 6. He also got the carbon pole which is money. My Al poles are noisy in my bag which I don’t like.

Someone asked about a knife. I've broken down and basically butchered an entire elk with just a cheap $12 moraknife off Amazon. I also carry a small field sharpener. I have zero desire for a "good" knife. The moras are really great value for knife.

As for conditioning, I live at 8000' and the altitude still gets to me when I'm hunting. I would HIGHLY recommend a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) program. I do about 30 minutes almost every day of just body weight stuff, no equipment. I also hike as much as possible during the summer. Do not underestimate the ruggedness of the terrain, and the effect the altitude will have. Before I moved here, I would get "acute altitude sickness" for 2-4 days every time I'd come to the mountains, and that doesn't account for the general lack of oxygen. Get into good shape...you have some time. HIIT stuff is short time frames, and intense. I think it lends itself perfectly to hunting at altitude.

Last bit of advice...load up your pack fairly heavy and train with that for a bit. Adjust the straps, adjust your clothing for the "hot spots", adjust your load to where it is most comfortable. An uncomfortable pack will be miserable. Do the same with your boots so you know the "hot spots" and bring tape and mole skin to protect your feet.

Lefty26

FNG
You asked about tents. I tried a couple on my test trips and settled on the OneTigris Tipinova. Its pretty light, super easy to setup and has a ton of room for you and all your gear. This was invaluable on rainy/snowy days, I didn't have to leave anything outside. I would personally leave the stove for Sept-Oct timeframe. We dealt with single digit temps overnight every night and I never was cold with a good pad and sleeping bag. The cold out there is different than back east. I would take 15 dry degrees at elevation than a damp 30's back east any day.

OP
Youngbuck

Youngbuck

FNG
Ok guys, little update with some questions. So originally I was planning to hunt Selway, or possibly Lolo, but after making this thread, I received some feedback that those units might not be the best fit for a first elk hunt, due to never being in the area, and mainly being the very limited Elk population. So I started to research some other units, that elk would be in season during the dates that I've already been able to get off of work. One zone, which as of this post, still has tags available. but the season is only a week long, which is much shorter than the others I had originally planned to hunt, but also seem like a much better chance of success. One downfall that was mentioned, was the amount of hunters that will be in the area.

Another benefit of me hunting the unit in the southeastern part of the state, is that in March, I'll be in Salt Lake City for about a week, and would be able to drive up and do a little scouting while I'm out that way.

My question is this: What's everyone's opinion about scrapping my plans for Selway/Lolo, and hunting the southern Zone? I've done a lot of research on the other units, but due to the fact I would be able to actually see the place and do some scouting beforehand, makes it seem like a no brainer. Just wanting to get everyone's opinion

https://atomic-athlete.com/preparing-for-a-backcoutry-hunt/

A co worker used this schedule for his work out plan in 2019 to prep for a trip like you're planning and raved about the results. He didn't buy the programs but substituted and followed the scheduling I,E Stronglifts for Max Strength. The Exo program is free on their pack website. I'm trying it this year based on his experience. The video might be worth a watch for you.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you are dead set on rifle hunting I would adjust my vacation dates and bump everything back 10 days or so. That way you are able to hunt anytime in October and that opens up a ton of unit choices for you. Wise decision to listen to those telling you to stay away from the wilderness zones. It's different if you were going with an outfitter, but solo hunting for the first time? No way. You'd be ready to sell all your gear when you got home most likely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Also, just buy a set or two of the Cascade Mtn Tech trekking poles from Costco or Amazon. You can find them on sale for $20, or full price at $30. They work quite well and save you money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sherm70

FNG
Check out seek outside LBO, very versatile. I have 2 with connecting tarp and kifaru cylinder stove. All works well and under 5lbs.

Sherm70

FNG
The cascade trekking poles are great, and you can buy replacement sections if you ever need them.