T-Mobile in WY Medicine Bow NF

I lucked out and drew a WY Gen tag for this year. I’ll be focusing on units 110, 9, that area.

Anyone ever hang in the national forest with T-Mobile? How’s the coverage? I don’t need 5G data or anything like that; just the ability to check in with the wife via text.
Thanks!

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if this helps but I've hunted 110 for 15 years and there's hardly any Verizon coverage in that entire area unless you climb to a tall NW facing knob. But AT&T and union wireless always seemed to have service almost everywhere in there.

Maybe check to see if t mobile shares towers with any of those I mentioned and that might answer your question.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Not sure if this helps but I've hunted 110 for 15 years and there's hardly any Verizon coverage in that entire area unless you climb to a tall NW facing knob. But AT&T and union wireless always seemed to have service almost everywhere in there.

Maybe check to see if t mobile shares towers with any of those I mentioned and that might answer your question.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
That is very helpful. Thanks! I’ll definitely bug you about 110 as well!

bobr1

WKR
Check coverage maps. I’m not 100% on Wyoming but in Montana Verizon is basically the only provider that gets reception in a lot of the remote areas of the state. I switched shortly after an antelope hunt when I was having to use my inreach to let me wife know I was alive. And my buddies were sending each other images, videos, texts and making voice calls.

Laramie

WKR
I lucked out and drew a WY Gen tag for this year. I’ll be focusing on units 110, 9, that area.

Anyone ever hang in the national forest with T-Mobile? How’s the coverage? I don’t need 5G data or anything like that; just the ability to check in with the wife via text.
Thanks!
You might want to research the Mullen Fire... had a pretty negative impact on the entire region. Like all general areas, there are some elk but it isn't what it was. Cell coverage stinks in general. As mentioned, Union/AT&T has some coverage but it isn't great.

OP
S
You might want to research the Mullen Fire... had a pretty negative impact on the entire region. Like all general areas, there are some elk but it isn't what it was. Cell coverage stinks in general. As mentioned, Union/AT&T has some coverage but it isn't great.
Absolutely. I was planning on bugging you WY folk about the green up later this summer as it will have been 2 years.

I figured the T-Mobile coverage is roaming on ATT/union at best.
Thanks!

bobr1

WKR
Yes I’ve seen this. But as you know these maps are rather suspect, especially the areas marked “partner”.

Zoleo it is!

Good luck,

On your hunt
Yes I’ve seen this. But as you know these maps are rather suspect, especially the areas marked “partner”.

Zoleo it is!
I honestly don't know anything about Zoleo, but if it uses the same satellites as the In-reach (Garmin), then go for it. The Inreach I have allows for bluetooth syncing to your phone and makes it very easy to send and receive messages. But again, I have never used the Zoleo, and don't know anything about it. But regardless, I don't think you will regret having a sat messenger if your lose cell reception.

grfox92

WKR
Yeah you'll have a very difficult time getting cell phone signal anywhere in those mountains regardless of your carrier.

I have Verizon and was able to get cell phone service in one very specific area. I was actually very surprised. But I was on the very top and had a clear open view through a valley down to the bottom where I could see some private ranches and roads so I'm guessing I had a path to a cell tower through there.

Otherwise I would plan on having some type of satellite communicator.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
There is a large Wyoming cell provider call Union, they allow T-Mobile to roam of their towers. You'll have service for calling and texting in a fair amount of spots, but data will be nonexistent.

Look at the Union coverage map, that give you a good idea.