T-Rex Killer

Regarding the Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 - I just think this rifle is one bad ass mofo. :) I realize the general advantages and disadvantages of the caliber, but cannot escape admiring this rifle. I have read some online reviews pointing toward quality issues. Curious if anybody has some first hand knowledge to share.

Cracks me up that Marlin lists T-Rex as appropriate game to pursue with the SBL.

Attachments

• BA4B7BA6-F84D-4E4F-8AF4-93D2C9EBFCEF.png
    BA4B7BA6-F84D-4E4F-8AF4-93D2C9EBFCEF.png
    313.3 KB · Views: 132

colonel00

WKR
I've been wanting a Marlin 45-70 for a while but it's on my long list as I just don't have a true "need" at this time and I doubt it would be something I'd consider a fun range gun. Still, there's something about them that always keeps my attention.

I just had a 45-70 built by the guys at Wild West Guns out of Anchorage. It took about three months to get it but it sure is rad. It's actually a 457 mag, I can only shoot one at a time with this round as well as one round at a time with 3" 410 shotshells. I can load the tube with 45-70 and use it as a traditional lever gun. The barrel is cut down from 18" to 16 1/4" and it is about the same size overall as my 14.5" AR. It also breaks down into two pieces for ease of travel.

slick

WKR
I just had a 45-70 built by the guys at Wild West Guns out of Anchorage. It took about three months to get it but it sure is rad. It's actually a 457 mag, I can only shoot one at a time with this round as well as one round at a time with 3" 410 shotshells. I can load the tube with 45-70 and use it as a traditional lever gun. The barrel is cut down from 18" to 16 1/4" and it is about the same size overall as my 14.5" AR. It also breaks down into two pieces for ease of travel.

Justin, do you have pictures? Thing sounds killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
I got one. Put a 12X scope on it just to see how it shot. 1/2 MOA @ 100 yds. with handloads. Unlike other offerings from the Remington/Marlin folks, this one didn't need to go back to the factory. Fit and finis are a 8 out of 10. The lever loop was so sharp, it would draw blood (unacceptable) and the butt stock fit is typical "Remington poor" with a fairly large gap on each side of the tang. That said, it's been 100% reliable, which was a relief, given the incredibly poor quality control coming out of Marlin and Remington these days. It's kind'a heavy. This is a good thing for the recoil, which is also tamed by a nice butt pad. Ghost ring sight is perfect and off the bench I was getting just over 1.5 MOA groups @ 100 yds. Don't expect me to do that with any regularity though. It's not as handy as a Guide Gun but it does have some extras that make up for it. The trigger is fair and IMO, doesn't need to be modified although it feels like it's about 5#. It does break clean. Heavy enough so you don't light one off by mistake but light enough so you don't double clutch it. The fore-stock is a big-ole thick fish belly. It could go on a diet for sure. Grey laminate is my favorite and IMO looks great. It's good that I like it cause there's nobody else to look at it where I go.

For what they're asking for it, the customer only slightly gets screwed. Fit and finish is pathetic for a gun at that price point but if you want a SBL, your gonna have to pony up the caish. Any 45-70 will drop a T-Rex but a SBL will make you look all Hollywood while doing it.

I've got a 1895gs and boy is it a pleasure to carry in the woods, also a proud owner of both a 444s and a 308mxlr all three of which are shooters.

JP100

WKR
Have out a few shots through one(not the exact same model I don think), nice to carry and shoot.

Lots of guides carry them and they seem to work for bear spray

Mike 338

WKR
I have a 444 Outfitter (discontinued), which is basically a Guide Gun. For my money, the Guide Gun configuration is the pinnacle in a carry rifle. Nice balance with a short barrel and a thin receiver. Everything you need. Nothing you don't. Also the perfect rifle to put on a horse. Now that Henry is making a side loading gate, I expect they'll eventually produce a less shiny version which will have the quality in manufacturing that their main competitor lacks. With Henry, it's a honor just to clean one.

OP
Highestrider
I got one. Put a 12X scope on it just to see how it shot. 1/2 MOA @ 100 yds. with handloads. Unlike other offerings from the Remington/Marlin folks, this one didn't need to go back to the factory. Fit and finis are a 8 out of 10. The lever loop was so sharp, it would draw blood (unacceptable) and the butt stock fit is typical "Remington poor" with a fairly large gap on each side of the tang. That said, it's been 100% reliable, which was a relief, given the incredibly poor quality control coming out of Marlin and Remington these days. It's kind'a heavy. This is a good thing for the recoil, which is also tamed by a nice butt pad. Ghost ring sight is perfect and off the bench I was getting just over 1.5 MOA groups @ 100 yds. Don't expect me to do that with any regularity though. It's not as handy as a Guide Gun but it does have some extras that make up for it. The trigger is fair and IMO, doesn't need to be modified although it feels like it's about 5#. It does break clean. Heavy enough so you don't light one off by mistake but light enough so you don't double clutch it. The fore-stock is a big-ole thick fish belly. It could go on a diet for sure. Grey laminate is my favorite and IMO looks great. It's good that I like it cause there's nobody else to look at it where I go.

For what they're asking for it, the customer only slightly gets screwed. Fit and finish is pathetic for a gun at that price point but if you want a SBL, your gonna have to pony up the caish. Any 45-70 will drop a T-Rex but a SBL will make you look all Hollywood while doing it.

Agree on the grey laminate! I like it’s looks along side the SS barrel. So slick I’m sorta compelled to overlook fit or finish shortcomings.

I'd buy a jm stamped marlin but if you cant find one, I'd buy Henry's aw 45/70 over a current production remlin
I have a 444 Outfitter (discontinued), which is basically a Guide Gun. For my money, the Guide Gun configuration is the pinnacle in a carry rifle. Nice balance with a short barrel and a thin receiver. Everything you need. Nothing you don't. Also the perfect rifle to put on a horse. Now that Henry is making a side loading gate, I expect they'll eventually produce a less shiny version which will have the quality in manufacturing that their main competitor lacks. With Henry, it's a honor just to clean one.

I have a Henry in my arsenal so I can vouch for the quality. Very solid. The aw 45-70 is a damn fine looking rifle. A draw back was the tube style magazine in my eyes.

I hadn’t actually realized that Henry came out with a side loader. I’m keen to hear about how it performs, etc. It looks like a good idea to enable both side and tube style loading. I’m not too big on the brass finish. Hopefully Henry comes out with an aw version soon in a T-Rex friendly caliber :)

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Another maker not be be discounted are the modern Winchesters made by Miroku. Their 1886's are heavier but stronger than the Marlin and also available in the larger .45-90 (also make great platforms to build a .50-110 if you don't mind spending the coin). The Winchester 94 is available in .450 Marlin, this gun will weigh less than the Marlin and be a better saddle gun if that's what you're after. Miroku quality is second to none, I've sold all but one of my pre-64 Winchester lever guns and replaced them with reproductions from Miroku. Cry about the rebound hammers and tang safeties all you want, Miroku builds a better lever gun than anyone.

I have both gate and tube loaders.... and the tube loaders have become my preference. As easy to load and easier to unload. Thinking back to before I had Henry I dont know why you wouldn't want the tube loader now having one?