T1 day pack

littlebuf

Banned
ive answered a lot of pm's on this site and others about my T1 and how I use it for a day pack, or is it too big and specifically about the snow collar. so heres a quick run through of how I use the T1 as a every day pack for those of you still wondering if the T1 or DT1 is too much pack for your needs.

first off heres what a standard day packs contents may look like. some lunch and water, kill kit, lash kit, game bags, tri pod, spotter, TP, gloves ect. and a rain jacket (western Washington hunting here) this is by no means a fully comprehensive list of a day hunts needs but a fairly good representation for this example.

Attachments

• day pack 005.jpg
    day pack 005.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
I start by loading the back pockets with items I may need readably accessible . these items and much more can fit in these pockets no problem and are pretty easy to keep organized

Attachments

• day pack 006.jpg
    day pack 006.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 199
  • Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
next I will tighten up the very bottom straps. I like to tuck the bottom inside itself and tighten up the straps for a nice square shape. I think the gear rides a little better by tightening up the bottom straps before loading it. I will also use the HUGE hydration compartment for stuff like contractor bags or extra para cord. then I load the gear I do not need as instant acces too in the bottom of the pack.

Attachments

• day pack 007.jpg
    day pack 007.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 185
  • day pack 008.jpg
    day pack 008.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 180
  • day pack 009.jpg
    day pack 009.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
spotting scope and tri pod easily fit in the side pockets. but then this is where I think the T1 really shines as a day pack and the snow collar actually becomes a great day pack feature by making your T1/DT1 a two compartment pack. pull the draw string closed all the way on the snow collar and tuck it in. you then have a very nice and large top compartment for the things you want to get to easy. here I have lunch and my tri pod head. I hate to dig for either of these and with the pack configured like this you don't even have to undo the top strap to access this stuff if you don't want. you can just loosen up the draw sting a little on the pack after you flip open your lid

Attachments

• day pack 010.jpg
    day pack 010.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 153
  • day pack 012.jpg
    day pack 012.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 157
  • day pack 014.jpg
    day pack 014.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 143
  • day pack 015.jpg
    day pack 015.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 171
  • day pack 017.jpg
    day pack 017.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
toss the range finder and the gps in the belt pouch suck down the lid and side straps as tight as you want and you've got a very compact day pack that rides better than any day pack ive ever used and also gives you the ability to haul massive loads back to the truck. like a whole boned deer. pretty hard to beat in my book. I will add that you can get the pack even smaller than I show but ive found it not real necessary, I just get it tight and it rides very good plus is easier to access during the day with a little room left in it. any way that's how I do it. you guys have any other techniques that you found work well with this pack as a day pack?

Attachments

• day pack 018.jpg
    day pack 018.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 154
  • day pack 020.jpg
    day pack 020.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 266
The DT3 is quite small. I loved mine but unless you had super ultralight equip you are limited to a night or two at most. My new Bikini frame now sports a DT2 and I really like it. I had originally thought it was just too big for my needs but it really works. I still may pick up a DT3 bag for short overnight trips??

Beastmode

WKR
Thanks Buf, that just answered some questions that I was concerned about as I decide between a DT2 or 3.

If your only getting one pack get atleast a 2 or 1. I use a dt3 for scouting for the most part. It is a perfect size pack for 3 or 4 day scouting trips. Anything more than that and I don't have enough room for food and will soon be getting the dt1 bag. I will use my dt3 for day hunts and quick overnight trips.

The dt3 is not big enough for getting my gear and a deer out on an overnight trip without the use of a grab it. Also I'm talking about blacktail which are much smaller than mule deer. If you want a do it all pack for multiple night trips and want to make one trip out with gear and a deer I would get atleast the dt2. But I would prefer the dt1 for the small weight penalty for 2000 extra CI. These packs compress down extremely well. Good luck

rodney482

WKR
I found the T1 to be an excellent daypack.

I cant see myself even looking at another pack... Unless someone comes out with one that has legs and hikes behind you.

i dig that snow collar pocket idea..

ive been doing similar with my longhunter but its a tad more difficult due to straps and pockets sucking... i suck the 2 bottom common loops up the plastic loops above sleeping bag compartment and they're pinned with tiny 'biners...
IMG_5046.jpg

I have used that snow collar exactly that way Buff but found that I was always digging into the main body of my pack for other things too often. Recently cut my snow collar off and trimmed a few straps and can already tell that I'll like it better. Only lightened it up by 3-4 oz but I did it more for ease of access and to reduce surplus webbing. Pretty hard to beat these packs no matter what configuration you run it as!

Mike

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
Nice, can't wait to get my bikini DT! combo. Great idea on the snow collar.

it works very well. and don't forget you have bottom access through your sleeping bag zipper so if you pack right you never have to pull every thing apart to get all items in your pack. I pack mine so I can pull out my lash kit/grab it and rain jacket from the bottom. only thing I need to open the whole pack for is kill kit and game bags, but at that point your unloading and taking care of game any way.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Which lash kit does everyone find more useful? I was planning on the horizontal.

CaseyU

WKR
I like the horizontal but i keep one extra in the pack for whatever else i decide is needed for the load