T3 or Kimber Hunter

Ive just had my 2nd knee surgery & the other knee aint that great either @ 53 years old. Ive lost 30 lbs. this year & the backpack hunting gear I have is top notch & I cant get much lighter there. Thinking of selling my t3 lite in .270 win. & buying the kimber hunter in .270. I love my tikka but am always thinking of restocking it to get a few oz lighter. Pretty sure I could sell the tikka ss t3 for 600, & the kimber is 775. With my scope & rings the tikka is 7 lbs. The hunter would be 6 lbs & 7 oz all up. That's assuming the kimber .270 is @ 5lbs. & 10oz. I started to say the difference in weight is very noticeable to me, but Ive only handled my 7lb. tikka rig compared to the naked hunter. Don't really have a desire to shoot another caliber but I am open to other opinions, & I do reload. Any & all opinions welcome & hoping Mr. Price & Luke Moffett will chime in.(I know you hate the .270 Luke) So fire away yall!

OP
B
alot of hassle for no gain
I would stick with what you have and know.
Be way easier to cut that weight somewhere else in you gear
Got the Kifaru pack, sleep under tarps & skeeter bivys with quilts & wear "First Lite" clothes. Almost was going to say how wrong you are about my gear. Then I decided to weigh my rain gear. 3 1/2 lbs. Kuiu has a sale on rain gear, & when its all said & done, I can cut 2 1/2 lbs there at less than what I would spend on the kimber once taxes dros fees are added. Thank you. I feel much better now. Going to the gun store got me all wound up. Im all better now. But once I get that new rain gear........

elkguide

WKR
I'm a Kimber fan over the Tikka, just on feel. In your case, I would stick with what you have and what you are comfortable. as one of those "more mature hunters" myself, changing rifles for a few ounces isn't going to be that big of a gain. I find that even though I am in pretty good shape, (5'9" @ 160#) I always try and shed a few more pounds come fall before the hunt begins and that seems to be my best answer.

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
In aviation you spend millions to save ounces. It does make a difference. Every ounce counts.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
no opinion one way or the other, but my 6.5 Hunter weighed 5# 8 oz, .270 should weigh a fraction less- so you can probably shave a couple of ounces off your estimate

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
no opinion one way or the other, but my 6.5 Hunter weighed 5# 8 oz, .270 should weigh a fraction less- so you can probably shave a couple of ounces off your estimate
Why do you think it would weigh less? Shouldn't it weigh more short action vs long?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
I'd skip the T3 and Hunter and move straight to a Montana if I felt the need for something else. Guys are on the 6.5 CM bandwagon and the Montana could very well be the best of it all.

bhylton

WKR
carry 1 or 2 less rounds of extra 270 in your pack.. there is your few oz weight savings ;)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you think it would weigh less? Shouldn't it weigh more short action vs long?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

yup- you're right :) it will weigh more- 2" of barrel + fractional increase for the longer action

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO as I am same age two problematic knees and own a tikka👊 I would look elsewhere towards fitness and other options to shaving the ounces your looking for..

GKPrice

Banned
I have a Hunter 30.06 leaning in the corner naked, 5 lb 11.8 oz - all I shoot is Tikka superlights and Kimbers - size and "in shape" matter a lot but there are other things that matter too - I'm 5'10" (now at 65) 205 - I've "slimmed" down from 220, been aiming for 190 but I can't seem to alter my lifestyle and exercise patterns to do so, I don't throw weights around like I used to but can't leave 'em alone altogether either - That said, I don't have large hands and I'm not as "robust" as I used to be in the standing arm strength arena - I've noticed that 8-10 oz IN THE HAND makes a big difference, it's not when it's slung over my shoulder or hanging in front on a "Safari Sling", it's when I actually carry or handle the rifle in my hands that I really notice the ounces (I also have 4 rotator cuff surgeries under my belt, that surely makes "some" difference too) You guys with those "meathooks" probably don't relate to this, I've comparatively small hands too so a "natural" strong grip is just short of a struggle for me, short fingers I guess (NO JOKES ALLOWED) IF my planned hunt doesn't call for much hiking I'll normally grab the Tikka but these new Hunters seem to have just a little bit different curve in the grip or something because I'm feeling the love sweep over me for it the more I handle it - Identical barreled action as the Montana (but I'd buy at least 1 extra magazine) that's my take on it - Bad knees too, along with lumbar spine stenosis I'm a wreck right now - I had bilateral knees docketed for Feb 15 but cancelled until I can get some nerve blocks done in the back first, I've been bone on bone for several years (medial surface both sides) but the back has changed my perspective a lot, don't think I'll have many "back pack hunts" in my future now - IMO the .270 is a fine cartridge (unless maybe you live in AK or B.C.) that will and has killed many truckloads of moose and elk and at decent ranges too (on a closing note, don't ya need a "backup" ?)

GKPrice

Banned
on Sierra Trading Post there are Simms Hyalite rain jackets in XL & XXL for $70 right now - as good a rain coat as I've ever had, Simms is good stuff

OP
B
Yeah Im leaning towards just guying another rifle down the road instead of selling my tikka. Ive sold rifles before & it really didn't bother me, but to sell my tikka I think would bother me, plastic & all! Another thing you touched on is,"how it feels in your hands". I have no complaints about carrying the t3 lite, but I do hunt with my rifle in my hands prolly 90% of the time. When I glass, it goes in the kifaru gun bearer. Seems like I could appreciate the 1/2 pound or so difference. I think Ill stick to my original plan & buy a kimber in 3006 down the road.Thanx for the tip on the sims rain gear. Keep the opinions coming guys.

OP
B
I'd skip the T3 and Hunter and move straight to a Montana if I felt the need for something else. Guys are on the 6.5 CM bandwagon and the Montana could very well be the best of it all.
Living in cali. I prefer calibers easy to get in factory loads & components for reloading. I know, I know,I should leave this commy state, but I stay because family wont move with me to Montana! Anyways, too much uncertainty with gun & ammo laws here to change to something too far out of the ordinary. Never know when we could have another ammo shortage here.

OP
B
I'm a Kimber fan over the Tikka, just on feel. In your case, I would stick with what you have and what you are comfortable. as one of those "more mature hunters" myself, changing rifles for a few ounces isn't going to be that big of a gain. I find that even though I am in pretty good shape, (5'9" @ 160#) I always try and shed a few more pounds come fall before the hunt begins and that seems to be my best answer.
Im 5 11 @ 225. You think I could stand to lose even more weight? What do want me to do starve to death!?:eek: