Tab Release help

Pgohil

WKR
Striving for a better and more consistent release. Using a yost tab 3 under. When I execute a pull through back tension release, it produces good results, but it kills my fingers. They sting like hell and feel like I shut them in a car door.
When I open my fingers by command this doesn't happen, however I'm shooting consistently left of POA.
What should I do differently?

Thanks

PGohil
WV

Wrench

WKR
How much have you trimmed the tab? I run mine longer than many to stop what you describe. My Yost does not have the same protection as my safari tuff tabs do...and my yost beats my pinkie knuckle when I release. My black widow tabs work well except on my bows above 50ish pounds. I feel they're too thin beyond that.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Thicker tab, deeper hook is what helped me.
I'm hooking in the 1st joint. Holding doesn't hurt at all.. it's the act of letting the string slip off my fingers that hurts

GLB

WKR
Usually when you have finger pain from your release it’s from too much tension in your fingers/forearm and or creeping forward just prior to the release.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Usually when you have finger pain from your release it’s from too much tension in your fingers/forearm and or creeping forward just prior to the release.
Creeping forward just before the release could be the issue. But the way I was taught was to keep pulling just like shooting a compound with back tension. It should feel like a bucket of water slipping from your fingers. So if that's wrong I definitely need to correct it.

mattflint

FNG
I struggle with the same issues.
Deeper hook remedies the finger pain and helps with a cleaner release(plucking sends em left of aim for me)
I recently picked up a Rick Barbee tab. Its a little softer than my cordavan yosts. This actually helps me set a solid deep hook.
Pulling through my shot so my hand does not come off my face during follow through remedies my left impacts almost without fail.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I struggle with the same issues.
Deeper hook remedies the finger pain and helps with a cleaner release(plucking sends em left of aim for me)
I recently picked up a Rick Barbee tab. Its a little softer than my cordavan yosts. This actually helps me set a solid deep hook.
Pulling through my shot so my hand does not come off my face during follow through remedies my left impacts almost without fail.
Okm can you explain what you mean by pulling through your throat so that your hand is not come off your face.? It seems like if you were pulling through your hand would naturally come back away from your face past your ear.

mattflint

FNG
Okm can you explain what you mean by pulling through your throat so that your hand is not come off your face.? It seems like if you were pulling through your hand would naturally come back away from your face past your ear.
Bicep tension I guess. While relaxing my forearm is my focus. Along with constant tension/expansion on my draw side. This keeps my hand in contact with my face when it comes back after release/follow through.
Jake Kaminski has a great video on cleaning up your release. Focusing on the movement involved. Been of immense help to me as of late.

GLB

WKR
Creeping forward prior to release is hard to detect yourself, unless you slo-mo film it or have someone watch you. A stinging sensation on the fingertips is a tale tale sign.

bobinmi

WKR
I haven't watched the video link but I use a drill that tom clum spoke about. I pull through the shot, upon release I practice "catching" an imaginary golf ball thats on my shoulder. Its a solid, blank bale drill.

I dealt with that off and on. I used an EW Bateman cordovan tab, with was pretty thick. I occasionally wrapped my middle and ring fingers in masking tape until they developed a callus.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Creeping forward prior to release is hard to detect yourself, unless you slo-mo film it or have someone watch you. A stinging sensation on the fingertips is a tale tale sign.
I was going to say the same thing.. had no idea I was creeping bc I felt like I was pulling through. Until I watched the slow motion video!