Tabs???

Sheepdog

FNG
Omnivores Homestead and Quivers 3 under tab.
How do you like it? I was going to pick one of the leather tabs but they are sold out. I like the looks of the snake and alligator skins, just something different.

I mostly use a bates 3 under tab. I have a black widow 3-U as well but I don’t like it as much.

oldgoat

WKR
I’ve been using safari tuff for about 3 years. I like them, but in the past 6 months I’ve been using a homemade tab and enjoy it better... it’s a touch thicker..so it’s more comfy.
I think thicker is better, when I buy a Bateman I always pick through all the ones on the shelf at rmsgear and pick the thicker one, also even if I don't need one, if I see they have gotten some in, I'll look through them to see if there's a good one!

Kentucky

WKR
I think thicker is better, when I buy a Bateman I always pick through all the ones on the shelf at rmsgear and pick the thicker one, also even if I don't need one, if I see they have gotten some in, I'll look through them to see if there's a good one!

The homemade one I use has 2 pieces..the cordovan piece on the back and the piece on the front, that touches string is a sheep leather with the fur still on it.. I took scissors and trimmed it down to where the fur is about 1/4” thick..feels and shoots the same wet as it does dry..

oldgoat

WKR
The homemade one I use has 2 pieces..the cordovan piece on the back and the piece on the front, that touches string is a sheep leather with the fur still on it.. I took scissors and trimmed it down to where the fur is about 1/4” thick..feels and shoots the same wet as it does dry..
Yeah, Dan Toelke sells sheep skin fleece tabs, liked the way the fleece worked, didn't care for the shape or way tab was retained on my hand.

Kentucky

WKR
Yeah, Dan Toelke sells sheep skin fleece tabs, liked the way the fleece worked, didn't care for the shape or way tab was retained on my hand.

Yes he does..I should’ve led with that, credit where credit it due.. I copied mine after his.

Beendare

WKR
I like the Bateman Cordovan tabs and trim them down.

My only complaint with them is the inconsistency in thickness sometimes you will get a real thin one and I typically add a layer to those

Tradchef

WKR
How do you like it? I was going to pick one of the leather tabs but they are sold out. I like the looks of the snake and alligator skins, just something different.

I mostly use a bates 3 under tab. I have a black widow 3-U as well but I don’t like it as much.
I really like them a lot. I just use the regular leather, nothing fancy. I started with bateman years ago, went to safari tuff then yost. I loved the yost but missed having an all leather tab. Mark makes great tabs. They come a little stiff at first but once you break them in they are super nice. This is my second year with his tabs and i don't plan on switching any time soon.

Tradguy

FNG
I've always made my own three under tabs from two thin pieces of leather. I just can't shoot real well with thicker tabs, I have no idea why.

Felix40

WKR
I have a yost and I like it but the metal is hard on my cheek. I covered it in mole skin but it’s still sharper than I’d like.

Gumbo

WKR
I'm new to trad archery but started making my own after developing some significant finger pain and numbness using a really thin Trad Geeks tab. It isn't hard and you can do it with minimal tools. I have settled on three layers for mine, thin kangaroo, thicker leather in the middle for padding, and suede for comfort on the back, then a fourth thick buffalo section for the small rear piece to hold it all together. Might be overkill but it is comfortable and seems to work nicely.

I have been making my own for a few years now. Two layers, the face layer is cordovan and the back layer is just some other piece of leather. Bought some scrap bags of leather and have probably made 20 tabs with it and still have enough to make more. I have them stashed all over in vase I lose one.

Pmringer

WKR
I agree! I have a water snake and iguana faced tab from Mark. He doesn't use cordovan and they are stiff initially but once they break in they are smooth and tough. If the weather is bad they don't get slimy like cordovan leather either and keep shooting. I used to shoot Yost and SafariTuff and won't be going back.

oldgoat

WKR
I agree! I have a water snake and iguana faced tab from Mark. He doesn't use cordovan and they are stiff initially but once they break in they are smooth and tough. If the weather is bad they don't get slimy like cordovan leather either and keep shooting. I used to shoot Yost and SafariTuff and won't be going back.
I've never had that issue with my Bateman Cordovan tabs