Tac vanes

Was kinda looking at tac vanes the summit, matrix due to the weight being low. I was wondering if anyone has had issues with them like being brittle specially in the cold? That was one I have read but it was an old thread. Thanks

wapitibob

WKR
They aren't nearly as brittle as the old fita vanes from the 70's. I have had zero issues on my target arrows but haven't used them for hunting yet. I don't anticipate any problems though.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the Matrix style, but used the 2.25 drivers all season. No issues with those at all. Only complaint has been using their glue. Think I'll go back to using AAE for future arrow builds.

CB4

WKR
I have some drivers being delivered today. Supposed to get down to -7 this weekend. I will leave one outside to see how brittle it will get. Currently have blazer and max stealth too so may do a comparison

I have been using them since November and did a lot of shooting in my yard at -20 degrees in December prior to a Coues Deer hunt in January. I didn't have any issues with them in cold weather while practicing.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have been shooting the AAE Max Stealth for years, Thought I would try something different. So I have been testing 2 different vanes the last week. The TAC Driver Vane, and Bohning Heat Vane. I three do very well steering a Valkyrie 180 grain Jagger Broadhead (full disclosure the farthest I shot the broadhead was 40 yards and my bow is not overly fast 250 FPS). The easiest to fletch out of the three vanes is the Heat Vane, followed by the AAE, the TAC Vane took some practice because they are so stiff. Once I got the TAC Vane figured out it wasn't that bad to fletch

OP
J
I have been shooting the AAE Max Stealth for years, Thought I would try something different. So I have been testing 2 different vanes the last week. The TAC Driver Vane, and Bohning Heat Vane. I three do very well steering a Valkyrie 180 grain Jagger Broadhead (full disclosure the farthest I shot the broadhead was 40 yards and my bow is not overly fast 250 FPS). The easiest to fletch out of the three vanes is the Heat Vane, followed by the AAE, the TAC Vane took some practice because they are so stiff. Once I got the TAC Vane figured out it wasn't that bad to fletch
Were you running a 3 or 4 fletch with the heat vane? Love my max stealth vanes just wanted to lighten the back up a little.

xcutter

WKR
Got some buddies running TAC vanes and they haven't had any issues with cold temperatures. The only issue they have noticed is that the vanes don't seem to remember there shape if you leave them in a bow case or quiver while deflecting the vane. They shot them through several deer this past season and they are durable. In there opinion they don't retain shape memory as well as a Blazer vane.

OP
J
I have some drivers being delivered today. Supposed to get down to -7 this weekend. I will leave one outside to see how brittle it will get. Currently have blazer and max stealth too so may do a comparison
Let us know what you find on the comparisons. That would be great.

Vandal 44

WKR
I shot a three blade Valkyrie Jagger 180 grain head, my longest shot was 40 yards (my arrow speed is 250 FPS)

I will be heading out this weekend and will to stretch the distance out to 80 yards and post back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerksc

WKR
I'm shooting Tac Drivers on my target arrows, they are a stiff vane. It really hasn't got cold enough to see if the temp will effect the "brittleness" stiffness, towards cracking or breaking. I'm liking the flight. The vane is touchy in the jig, make sure they are seated, there is not much flexibility, the vanes feel way different from Blazer vanes on the install.

I had an issue with the edge curling over on some. Not all, but some. Certain colors seemed to have more of an issue. I’ve gone back to Max stealths.

OP
J
Yeah I said hell with it and ordered more of the max stealth. 6g more won't hurt. Also max stealth has done me good. Thanks everyone

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
Got some buddies running TAC vanes and they haven't had any issues with cold temperatures. The only issue they have noticed is that the vanes don't seem to remember there shape if you leave them in a bow case or quiver while deflecting the vane. They shot them through several deer this past season and they are durable. In there opinion they don't retain shape memory as well as a Blazer vane.
That's interesting. I've actually had great luck with their memory. Which style of the TAC Vane are they using?

Here is the issue I had with them. Probably not a big deal, but some were a lot worse and I just didn’t like the look. Those were offset straight.

Attachments

• A33AE348-8C06-4296-BB5D-2E2AA2771F2D.jpeg
    A33AE348-8C06-4296-BB5D-2E2AA2771F2D.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 44