Tacoma Upgrade

Well my 2019 tacoma got hit last night in front of my house. Woke up to a messed up front bumper and no note. Good way to start off the day. Anyways I looks like I am going to be out a $1000. I can either get it fixed and have the same bumper put on or maybe make and upgrade to it. I am not really into adding stuff just to make it look better. But if there is a performance advantage to adding an aftermarket bumper I might as well since I am not money anyways.

Anyway upgrade their Tacoma front bumper besides just for looks

Thanks

CorbLand

WKR
My buddy ended up in a similar situation but he hit a deer. He put a bigger bumper on so that if he hits another one, the bumper wins. That is about the only advantage you will get with bumpers. Durability and the ability to put a winch on it if you want too.

Opah

WKR
You can Fabricate or purchase a good push bar bumper that will protect your front end in the future.
most at tubular and do not weigh much more than stock bumpers. and the usually come with a receiver for a tow ball or winch.
Step up and prevent this from happening again, the next time you'll come out to a little scraped paint and someone's rear bumper with the license plate.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bumper gives you a better approach angle and Option to have a winch. I’ve taken my Tacoma in/out of places because of the approach angle.

It does add some weight depending on the one you put on though.
e3b71445dcbced3dbc01610eb659a90d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
If you do any amount of off-road driving I would say there would be an improvement in performance, durability and less fear of cosmetic damage. I wish all trucks with a factory off-road package included decent bumpers. I would not be inclined to replace it with an OEM bumper if I was paying for it.

A while back my wife decided I needed to replace both hers and my back bumpers... anyway on my truck an all steel bumper was only $40 more than the stock bumper. Insurance covered the stock cost and I just had to pay the guy the difference. I would definitely upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The best part about the heavy front bumpers/grill guards is when your 1,000 miles from home and hit an animal you don’t end up with a busted radiator or cooling fan. Been there and done that. All of our trucks now have heavy aftermarket bumpers and grill guards.

GotDraw?

WKR
Count on needing to buy heavier springs if you hang a big ol piece of heavy steel on the front end, add that to your cost.

And then you'll probably also decide to put on new shocks at the same time.

and so it begins...

JL

matthewmt

WKR
Id opt for a ARB or similar front bumper and deal with beefing up the front suspension. Living in northwest MT its like driving the gauntlet sometimes and I've always thought if anything protecting the radiator is pretty key espc in remote areas.
Approach angle will be improved 100% as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
The best part about the heavy front bumpers/grill guards is when your 1,000 miles from home and hit an animal you don’t end up with a busted radiator or cooling fan. Been there and done that. All of our trucks now have heavy aftermarket bumpers and grill guards.

This. All day long. I don't have bumpers and have lost that game.

GotDraw?

WKR
Hop on tacomaworld.com and take a look at some of the bumper options people review. I would definitely upgrade if you use your truck as a truck.
AGREED 110%
In fact, on Tacoma World you'll learn it's even MORE important to upgrade the bumper and also get dark tinted windows and a $200 lift kit if your ride is really just a panty-waisted mall-crawler so that folks will KNOW just how bad-ass you could be if you wanted to be...

JL

OP
M
Thanks for the advice. I use a truck like a truck. Not to many places that turn me around. Just use common sense. I have never worried about looks and what other people think. Had a Z71 before this for about 15 years and 200,000 miles. Never made upgrades just point it in the right direction with good tires and never disappointed. Got the Tacoma and plan on getting 200,000 plus on it before I pass it along.
Never needed a winch but have come close a couple times.
Around talked to my insurance and I am out a $1000 no matter what at this point. I hoped my neighbors cameras might have picked something up but no luck.

Se7en39

Lil-Rokslider
A bumper gives you a better approach angle and Option to have a winch. I’ve taken my Tacoma in/out of places because of the approach angle.

It does add some weight depending on the one you put on though.
e3b71445dcbced3dbc01610eb659a90d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice ride! Ugh I miss mine. Had a 2015 it was a great truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro