TAG Bags for Antelope?

ChrisAU

WKR
Just planning for this fall's hunt, have really enjoyed using TAG bags for Elk the last couple years. Thinking a couple 14x20's per antelope for the meat and an extra for head and cape?

Jimss

WKR
Really depends on the season date of your antelope hunt. Daytime temps in Sept can be in the 80's in Wyo and Colo. If so, I get my meat into a cooler on ice ASAP. You likely won't need game bags if the meat is in a cooler?

I've used my BOMB bags on about 20 pronghorn, mostly does. Usually I can fit all the meat bone-in in 2 14x34 bags. If you boned it all out, you could prolly manage 2 14x20 bags without any trouble.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
A couple notes I left out:

We'll be backpacking. Yes locals on UTVs will be buzzing around us, but we chose our unit for the lack of public roads. There may be times where getting to a cooler quickly isn't an option, need something breathable that I can hang from the highest bush I can find lol. Will be in late October WY so hopefully will be cool enough. If not, we'll adjust plans accordingly.

I also no longer have the ones we used on the elk.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I've used my BOMB bags on about 20 pronghorn, mostly does. Usually I can fit all the meat bone-in in 2 14x34 bags. If you boned it all out, you could prolly manage 2 14x20 bags without any trouble.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks again!

wapitibob

WKR
Any bag will work, none of the synthetics actually "breath" anyway. I just use my Elk bags or whatever depending on what I've tagged so far.
Don't worry about a cooler, I've never put an antelope in one. It'll be glazed over in 3 minutes with the Wy wind. Set it in the shade, then hang it at night and it'll be colder than it needs to be.

manitou1

WKR
I have used cheap Wal Mart pillow cases for years. Never had a problem and meat is always good.
Best part: I throw them away after use.
Never understood the need to pay 30 bucks for a darned sack for antelope or deer.
I use my $$ for other equipment.
Really, think about it. What outperforms thin cotton linen to the point of costing 1000% more?
We hunters are often victims of very good marketing and peer pressure.

Sled

WKR
i also use my tag b.o.m.b. bags for the lopes. i don't cape so i can't comment on that but all quarters fit bone in easily for the doe i usually harvest.

Sled

WKR
I have used cheap Wal Mart pillow cases for years. Never had a problem and meat is always good.
Best part: I throw them away after use.
Never understood the need to pay 30 bucks for a darned sack for antelope or deer.
I use my $$ for other equipment.
Really, think about it. What outperforms thin cotton linen to the point of costing 1000% more?
We hunters are often victims of very good marketing and peer pressure.

i have a lot of pillowcases and i wouldn't compare those favorably with any of the game bags i've used in the past. if i were truck hunting or on a food plot back east then sure, they'll work. if space in my pack and weight are a priority then i'll take the game bags every time. if a tight weave (to keep flies out) and fast drying capability are needed, then i'll take the game bags. for the hunting i do, i appreciate the game bags but try to get them on sale if possible. my last first set of tag bags are just reaching retirement age after a couple dozen animals and many miles.