Tag Draw on Big Creek in Idaho

sweetroll

FNG
In the month leading up to the Idaho results coming out, me and my buddy have had a lot of discussions and some good training hikes about what would happen if one of us were lucky enough to draw on our first year putting in, but it was all sort of a pie in the sky...

Most on this forum can probably relate to the feeling we had when we both found that we had drawn tags for the early hunt in unit 26. Unbelievable for one first try, let alone two on a non-party submission. Needless to say we have our work cut out for us to make this trip work with two shooters.

Anyway, we're curious if any members out there have experience on Big Creek for that early hunt, and would be willing to share anything that may help us out. Things like advice for methods of spotting them, what time of year the hunt is the best (Aug. 30 to Oct. 13, but we only get one plane ticket in for about 10 days), and what to avoid along the way.

Thank you ahead of time.

Kimbersig

WKR
congrats to you and your buddy! I drew 27-3 this year so I know your excitement! I don't know anything about 26 but I know on the Sheep Hunting group page on Facebook a few guys have posted pics of rams they killed in 26. I'd recommend joining that FB group and seeing if you can get a response there.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I need to move to Idaho, do you know of anybody hiring? If you find me a job up there I'll pack out your sheep lol

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
Congrats on the tag draw!! I too drew my Bighorn tag this year on my first try too!! I drew 19A which the South Fork of the Salmon basically splits. Looking forward to the scouting trips this summer! I need to call and talk to the biologists up there asap!

Mtnboy

WKR
Congrats!

I don't have any experience in that exact country but my experience in other similar sheep country and from tons of reading etc....look in the trees. Everyone wants to picture a Big Horn hunt out in open Alpine basins above tree line etc. But the reality is those suckers, especially smart mature rams, really like the timber.

Might not be realistic, but with 2 tags and "only" ten days, I'd really try to get another person to tag along if possible. An extra set of eyes and legs might come in real handy.

Good luck! No matter what happens, doing a fly in hunt for sheep in that country is going to be one of most bad ass adventures the Lower 48 has to offer in my opinion.

Oh yeah, best to leave the deer tags at home, don't want temptation to get the best of you and derail the Sheep search!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
sweetroll

sweetroll

FNG
Good call on the trees - we've talked about that a bit but I can see how easy it would be to drop your guard moving through them.

As far as deer tags go, we're going to take them, but leave them at the airstrip with the fly rods. That way we won't be tempted until we've somehow filled our sheep tags with time and energy to spare... probably as much of a chance on that as both of us drawing in the first place :cool:

OP
sweetroll

sweetroll

FNG
congrats to you and your buddy! I drew 27-3 this year so I know your excitement! I don't know anything about 26 but I know on the Sheep Hunting group page on Facebook a few guys have posted pics of rams they killed in 26. I'd recommend joining that FB group and seeing if you can get a response there.

Do you mean the Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation page?

how are you going to access the unit? fly in or hike? soldier bar would be a good strip, but it is not an easy airstrip. My ram came off of horse mountain, but that was in 2004. Cabin creek is a big strip, but you will be hiking. The country is very steep and unforgiving.