Tag stew x 6 years = frustration.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
So for the last six years I've been trying to kill any legal elk with a bow. I've been doing it all off my back and have became in love with backpack hunting and the pains of preparation. I've drowned myself in elk related and mnt hunting books,spent many of hours studying maps, practiced diaphram calls until my tongue was raw and loved every minute of it all.
This year I feel as though I maybe throwing in the towel and I'm thinking about going after them with a muzzle loader( feels like I'm giving up). If anyone has some advice I'm all ears.
FYI I'm not looking for a hunting spot.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you been within muzzle loader range of them in the 6 years? If so than your half way to bow range if not it doesn't do any good to switch anyway. If your burned out switch its only one season

InDeep

WKR
Keep at it ! t's not easy every year you learn something's that will increase your odds .. It's tough the one thing I ask myself when I'm getting down , and this is just myself are you really hunting as hard as you can.. Soemthing all it takes is that first one , I personally don't kill every year but I can say I should and10 years ago was my first on my own (at least with out my dads help) and every year since then I have either shot at or killed one ..But prior to that it took my 12 years to make one happen .So stick with it , learn from you mistakes make sure your giving it your all and it will happen . And lastly never let ruin your time spent afield because when a guys to old to do what we're doing now . I'm pretty sure the kills is not what we're going to miss and remember the most! I know for myself its going to be the country I was doing it in!

My take, if you enjoy it keep doing it. No sense killing yourself over something your not enjoying.
If you stick with the bow and do the little things it will happen eventually. Nothing wrong with switching mode of take though. That first one is a huge confidence boost!

ssliger

WKR
Have you hunted the same area the past 6 years? Are you getting into elk, just not branch antlered bulls?

CoHiCntry

WKR
Have you killed an elk in the past? I know a lot of guy's who live in this frustration and for the life of me can't figure out why they don'y just pick up a rifle and kill an elk or two. I personally love muzzleloader hunting and although I bow hunt too, I would just as soon take one with a muzzleloader. I guess what I'm saying is don't get so hung up on thinking you have to kill one with a bow. I understand the allure of getting one with a bow, don't get me wrong. If you start getting some elk with another weapon maybe the frustration will go away and you will enjoy the time in the elk woods with your bow even more without the pressure/ frustration? Keep at it... it will come! In the mean time go kill some with a rifle or muzzleloader!

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
For the last six years I have pretty much hunted the same spot and there is enough elk around to keep me coming back. I've seen good bulls every year. It seems as though I've an eighty yard curse. I've killed a nice 5x6 my first year with a rifle. For me it's all about the rut. When I'm out ther it feels like I'm giving it 100% when get home and have time to reflect it feels like 50%. Last year we logged 88 miles with packs in 7 days. I don't know if that is a lot but it felt like we were giving it 100%.

weaver

WKR
I would highly recommend checking out elknuts instructional materials if you havent already.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Weaver. I've indulged in all of Elknuts info. I own all of his stuff. I'm not so sure that I don't over complicate things.

Hawker, right there with you, except I think I'm at seven right now. I'm not a meat hunter, so cows get a pass, but I'm not a trophy hunter either so any bull will do. First half was with a recurve, last half has been with a compound. I've had lots of great opportunities, it all just hasn't come together yet, but I've also been learning more each year about myself and my quarry. I'm obviously not a super pro hunter or anything, but I've found no matter how great the grade or cost of your gear, the best thing to take with you into the hills is a positive attitude. I have come to relish the time I get to spend in the mountains, whether I'm "successful" or not. I would say whatever gets you out into the rut to enjoy the grandeur of elk in September...do that.

CoHiCntry

WKR
For the last six years I have pretty much hunted the same spot and there is enough elk around to keep me coming back. I've seen good bulls every year. It seems as though I've an eighty yard curse. I've killed a nice 5x6 my first year with a rifle. For me it's all about the rut.

It's a no brainer to me then... Pick up a muzzleloader!!!

crumy

WKR
I second the videos. I was new to elk hunting and tried to get on them with a bow for two years with no success. Sort of like you, meaning, I could find them, just couldn't close the deal. Purchased some video package from elknut and almost immediately found things I was doing wrong. Still have not killed one with a bow, but I have gotten well within bow range. Still have some things to learn about eliminating obstacles in my shooting setup. They talk about that in the video too, but now it makes more sense.

cnelk

WKR
I would like to hear a story or two about one of your 'near encounters'. What went down?
Maybe its just a little item thats keeping the elk from getting within bow range or a missed opportunity.

For instance, Too often I hear of guys setting BEHIND a tree or obstacle. Big Mistake

I have taken elk with rifle, muzzleloader, and bow.
My success went WAY up when I went to mainly archery elk.

Jon Boy

WKR
It took me 7 years and 3 of being really serious. Sounds like you need to get a little more aggressive to me if your getting into them just can't seal the deal. No shame in going to a muzzy though, there fun too!

Buster

WKR
For the last six years I have pretty much hunted the same spot and there is enough elk around to keep me coming back. I've seen good bulls every year. It seems as though I've an eighty yard curse. I've killed a nice 5x6 my first year with a rifle. For me it's all about the rut. When I'm out ther it feels like I'm giving it 100% when get home and have time to reflect it feels like 50%. Last year we logged 88 miles with packs in 7 days. I don't know if that is a lot but it felt like we were giving it 100%.

88 miles in 7 days! That seems like a lot for a rut elk hunt. I wouldn't question your effort. Are a lot of those miles accessing the area, or chasing bugles?

Just remember, a lot of stuff has to go right to kill ab elk with a bow. I arrowed my first bull 15 minutes into my first hunt. Thought that elk were easy, the got severely humbled for several seasons after that. I sure did have fun learning from the mistakes. Your moment will come.

a3dhunter

WKR

Hiking too much, need to slow down and start hunting.
I would focus more on learning about elk calling, and what the elk are saying in that situation. If you learn the area, and know their routines for the area, such as where they bed and feed, then you should be covering at most 5 miles per day. If covering more you need to look at packing in and staying closer to where the elk are located.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Are you mostly hunting spot & stalk? Or do you have a hunting partner that calls for you? How many elk do you see or hear in an average day in your area?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have heard that it takes the average bowhunter 7 years to make their first elk kill, and personally know of at least three guys that it took exactly 7 years........A3d in this thread is one of them. Then he goes out this year and had multiple opportunities. Sometimes it just takes time for everything to click. If it were me, I'd keep at it with the bow. I can't think of too many opportunities where I could have shot one with a ML but not a bow. I know a guy that got so frustrated with not killing one with a bow that he did take a ML the next year. He still didn't get one, but then went back to the bow the next year and shot a nice 6x6 last year. As I've always said, "keep on keeping on". If you keep at it, it WILL happen.