Tag Strategy

Chredw01

FNG
Hey guys,
I live in GA and am starting to apply for Bonus and Preferrence Points. I plan to use the next two years to gain points and prepare gear to start hunting Big game in the western states. What kind of strategy do yal suggest to start creating opportunities two years from now and out to hunt every year and to hunt good public land areas. I would like to hunt elk, moose, sheep, antelope. Also, I have two young boys, what is the best strategy to start getting them tags and prepare for them as they get older.

Forget moose and sheep. You’ll die with the points. Pick one state to hunt regularly and save points in 1 or 2 others.

Since this is the elk forum, we'll focus on that.

What are your overall goals with hunting elk out west? Each state determines a different strategy as does the weapon type and caliber of bull you're after.

If you just want to hunt elk every year states like ID, MT, WY, and CO can provide that with a little bit of strategy thrown in to achieve hunting one of them every year. All provide great hunt opportunities. Yes, UT can provide that as well but in all honesty, the general tag sucks here. That's why I hunt out of state every year to have, what I consider, a better hunting experience. This year my draws didn't work, and I knew that was probably going to happen given the odds so I grabbed an ID Sawtooth A permit this morning. I will still hunt UT though as the tag is cheap for a resident.

States like NM, AZ, UT, and NV come down to what caliber of bull and style of hunt are you after? Draws can range from a few years to well past 20 years.

2rocky

WKR
find an elk area you want to draw with an OTC deer tag so you can hunt it for a couple of years before you draw elk. That way you know the country when your "good tag" comes through. I f you archery hunt you could hunt CO every year for elk, and AZ and UT every year for deer.

You can Hunt ID every year for both rifle or archery.

OP
C

Chredw01

FNG
Since this is the elk forum, we'll focus on that.

What are your overall goals with hunting elk out west? Each state determines a different strategy as does the weapon type and caliber of bull you're after.

If you just want to hunt elk every year states like ID, MT, WY, and CO can provide that with a little bit of strategy thrown in to achieve hunting one of them every year. All provide great hunt opportunities. Yes, UT can provide that as well but in all honesty, the general tag sucks here. That's why I hunt out of state every year to have, what I consider, a better hunting experience. This year my draws didn't work, and I knew that was probably going to happen given the odds so I grabbed an ID Sawtooth A permit this morning. I will still hunt UT though as the tag is cheap for a resident.

States like NM, AZ, UT, and NV come down to what caliber of bull and style of hunt are you after? Draws can range from a few years to well past 20 years.

I'm new at all this but from what I had read there are a few states, the only one I can remember of the top of my head is colorado, that offer economically priced over the counter tags. I would like to hunt those starting in two years but continue to draw points and hold them for high quality areas with a good chance at a mature Bull down the road.

Everyone focuses on tag prices but when you start taking into account everything (You already mentioned gear) that goes into a hunt it's always the last thing I'm worried about price-wise now.

Your best bet is to really just get GoHunt and start reading about all the state's rules, regulations, draw odds, etc... it helps a ton trying to understand a very confusing system for every single state as they all do it quite differently. My strategy with what I do (apply in all states) is definitely chaotic but there's a method to the madness. More often then not every year I'm left with a decision on what tag I shouldn't take or put in for.

End of the day, experience trumps all, get out as soon as you can and start learning how to hunt elk in any of those states. The Elk101 course is a good kick starter.

Northpark

WKR
Decide on what kind of hunt you want. Backpack, truck camp, outfitter etc. do your research. Are you really looking for a 350” bull or will any 5x5 or 6x6 or even a cow work. CO offers OTC archery and some OTC rifle tags but the price you pay for OTC is getting to share the woods with 1,000 of your closest friends. A high quality tag in CO can cost you anywhere from 4-25 points these days. Sheep aren’t worth you time in any state with a point system. Statistically improbable to draw one in your lifetime.

My suggestion is apply in as many states as possible. If your short on research time use a service like Worldwide trophy adventures TAGS service.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Since you’re out of state forget moose, sheep, and goat as you won’t accumulate the points needed to draw them. How old are your kids? Several states have great tags for youngsters and you’ll possibly enjoy a hunt with them on a tag that you might not be able to draw for a long time. I believe New Mexico and Arizona you can start them as early as 8, not 100% sure on that but Randy Newberg just covered a bunch of states and one or two were very good for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chredw01

FNG
Thank you....I bought Gohunt this past year and have been watching videos. My strategy this year was to apply for all preference points/ bonus points I could that were somewhat affordable while I learn and research.
Everyone focuses on tag prices but when you start taking into account everything (You already mentioned gear) that goes into a hunt it's always the last thing I'm worried about price-wise now.

Your best bet is to really just get GoHunt and start reading about all the state's rules, regulations, draw odds, etc... it helps a ton trying to understand a very confusing system for every single state as they all do it quite differently. My strategy with what I do (apply in all states) is definitely chaotic but there's a method to the madness. More often then not every year I'm left with a decision on what tag I shouldn't take or put in for.

End of the day, experience trumps all, get out as soon as you can and start learning how to hunt elk in any of those states. The Elk101 course is a good kick starter.

OP
C

Chredw01

FNG
Decide on what kind of hunt you want. Backpack, truck camp, outfitter etc. do your research. Are you really looking for a 350” bull or will any 5x5 or 6x6 or even a cow work. CO offers OTC archery and some OTC rifle tags but the price you pay for OTC is getting to share the woods with 1,000 of your closest friends. A high quality tag in CO can cost you anywhere from 4-25 points these days. Sheep aren’t worth you time in any state with a point system. Statistically improbable to draw one in your lifetime.

My suggestion is apply in as many states as possible. If your short on research time use a service like Worldwide trophy adventures TAGS service.
I noticed you said its not worth your time for sheep. On most of the points I have applied for, to add a sheep point is only $10. Is it not worth adding those points at all or would there be a chance down the road it could pay off?

Northpark

WKR
I noticed you said its not worth your time for sheep. On most of the points I have applied for, to add a sheep point is only $10. Is it not worth adding those points at all or would there be a chance down the road it could pay off?
If you’re already in the sheep points game then forge on. If you’re just starting it’s not looking good. In CO a sheep point now costs $100 for a NR plus the $9 app fee.

Laramie

WKR
Even if a person starts in the early teens, it will be statistically impossible to draw most of the sheep and moose draw tags. Of course there can be changes to the point systems down the road but under the current rules in the states I know, it is a complete waste of money. There are some states that have a small percentage available in the random, but it's like hitting the lottery to draw one. A person would be better off putting money in savings for a hunt North of the border.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider

May I ask how old you are? It could take you 20+ years to draw a sheep tag in any of the western states and usually preference goes to residents. My friend drew his goat tag 2 years ago on 4 points here in Colorado. Another friend just drew his Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep tag after 13 years, so it’ll depend on the point/lottery system each stay has for that species. Use GoHunt to find your best odds for drawing goats in a state, but since CO is on a weighted points system I’d recommend you don’t waste your time and money here as a non-resident, and I’m not saying that in a smart ass way either.

Laramie

WKR
As far as elk, and antelope, it is very doable to hunt yearly starting in 2 years. Buy points in Wyoming for both species and research areas and points needed to come up with your strategy. In the mean time, hunt Colorado over the counter so you can really appreciate Wyoming when you draw.

Laramie

WKR
No offense to Colorado intended only that Wyoming LQ tags will be better than CO over the counter.

OP
C

Chredw01

FNG
Since you’re out of state forget moose, sheep, and goat as you won’t accumulate the points needed to draw them. How old are your kids? Several states have great tags for youngsters and you’ll possibly enjoy a hunt with them on a tag that you might not be able to draw for a long time. I believe New Mexico and Arizona you can start them as early as 8, not 100% sure on that but Randy Newberg just covered a bunch of states and one or two were very good for kids.

Thank you...I'll look into those. My oldest is 3 so it seams i can start saving now for when he hits 8.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I started down the points road a few years ago with WY and SD. Since I’ve started I’ve been trying to find somebody to apply with in NM or ID. Unless it’s a random tag for me in NM for sheep, I’ve decided that I’m better off not buying moose, sheep, and goat points and saving that money to just go guided in AK or Canada for those species if it ever works out. If you look at all the costs involved for moose and sheep across a couple of states you could easily afford a good guided Canadian moose hunt and be on your way to an AK dall hunt instead of someday hoping to pull a tag and needing to pay a guide anyway cause you’re too old.

WY has reduced price youth points which I think they can start buying at 12. I’ll be buying them for my kids once old enough.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chredw01

FNG
May I ask how old you are? It could take you 20+ years to draw a sheep tag in any of the western states and usually preference goes to residents. My friend drew his goat tag 2 years ago on 4 points here in Colorado. Another friend just drew his Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep tag after 13 years, so it’ll depend on the point/lottery system each stay has for that species. Use GoHunt to find your best odds for drawing goats in a state, but since CO is on a weighted points system I’d recommend you don’t waste your time and money here as a non-resident, and I’m not saying that in a smart ass way either.

I am 30. Do you know if military service helps in any of these draws. Most of the states I have looked at it only helps if you are stationed in that state. Also, do you know if i applied for the sheep hunts can you transfer your points to like your sons if you get too old?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I am 30. Do you know if military service helps in any of these draws. Most of the states I have looked at it only helps if you are stationed in that state. Also, do you know if i applied for the sheep hunts can you transfer your points to like your sons if you get too old?

For Military Service I don’t believe there is any preference, but I’m not 100% on that. Also, I don’t think you can buy points for your kids until they hit the actual age to hunt for each state, so once you’re kid is 8 or whatever the age requirement, then you can buy points. And there are no transfer of points between individuals.