Tag Strategy

Northpark

WKR
Lots of good advice and lots depressing tag draw statistics. We all sound like a sorry bunch don’t we. Deer, elk, and antelope can happen every year if you want. Everything else you might as well go guided. I’m pretty well to the point that I just won’t play some of the point games. Like $50 for an elk point in WY no thanks. By the time I can draw a 12 point tag plus purchase the tag I’m in it for almost $1200 and I’ve spent 12 years chasing it. I’ll take that $1200 and put it towards a guided hunt and be able to go in 2-3 years.

Brooks

WKR
17 years ago I started putting in for AZ elk and still have never drawn one. Remember how the point systems are right now doesn’t mean they will not change in say 5 or 10 years. Point creep is real and knocks you backwards, G&F in any state like AZ did couple of years ago can change their point system and what took 10 points/years to draw would take say 15 years. It takes money, luck and time.

cnelk

WKR
You're gonna have to be willing to hunt new states/places every year or two.

Example:
First year - put in for WY and Colorado PPs, > hunt OTC Idaho or Colorado.
Second year - put in for another WY PP > apply for a 0-1 PP unit in Colorado > hunt OTC if unsuccessful
Third year - put in for another WY PP > apply for 1-2 PP unit in Colorado > hunt OTC if unsuccessful
Fourth year - Apply for WY > apply for 2-3 PP unit in Colorado > hunt OTC if unsuccessful

Lots of other variables to consider - Draw Odds, Point Creep, Returned Tags, or maybe you want to hunt RP cow/calf in Wyoming while collecting PPs

So many options, so little time

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice and lots depressing tag draw statistics. We all sound like a sorry bunch don’t we. Deer, elk, and antelope can happen every year if you want. Everything else you might as well go guided. I’m pretty well to the point that I just won’t play some of the point games. Like $50 for an elk point in WY no thanks. By the time I can draw a 12 point tag plus purchase the tag I’m in it for almost $1200 and I’ve spent 12 years chasing it. I’ll take that $1200 and put it towards a guided hunt and be able to go in 2-3 years.

I agree with you on chasing long term points when not a resident of those states. For Wyoming I enjoy going every 3 years on a general tag, and that’s probably the most I’ll do in that state. I do collect 5-6 points in my home state of CO and get to go on good hunts. Then I put in for New Mexico in hopes of that lifetime quality hunt. The way I have it now I am hunting good to great hunts every 2-3 years wether it’s deer, antelope, or elk. Most years I can draw a great tag for any one of those 3 species and hunt OTC or pick up a descent leftover tag. I think in this day and age it’s not worth it to chase 10-20 point units. I’d rather be in the woods every year than every 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I am 30. Do you know if military service helps in any of these draws. Most of the states I have looked at it only helps if you are stationed in that state. Also, do you know if i applied for the sheep hunts can you transfer your points to like your sons if you get too old?

Oregon is the only state that offers resident licenses to any active duty or even reserve service member regardless of their state of residency. If you do the controlled hunts you have to pay non resident tag prices But if you just want to hunt the general seasons you get to pay resident prices for the tags.