Tagged His and Her Cows!

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
We, the man and I, both drew early cow. Yay! Bugling bulls everywhere helped us tag: me on day 3, 3.5 miles into Wilderness; man tagged on day 8, 4 miles in. Each was a 2 day pack out at nearly 10,000‘ so the physical was GREAT! Hard, but great.

At issue: What to do with, or how to train a noisy hunting partner?
Day1: Hiking through forest to periodic open spots to glass. Man is stepping on and crunching, snapping…you name it, every damn twig he could find under his feet. He’s also talking in an audible voice. The guy doesn’t understand, “Whisper”.

Day 2: At first light glassing from rock outcropping, he’s glassing one direction, me another. All’s good, until… I hear crunch, crinkle, crinkle, crinkle. I turn around to see him rifling through plastic baggies and chomping down food. I whisper, loudly ’cause I’m ticked, “What the hell are you doing?”
“Eating my breakfast.”
“Are you kidding me? Eat it later!”
He gained some redemption by spotting a bull pushing cows about 800-1000 yds away through trees and into an open clearing. We decide to go after ‘em.
He goes high, I go low.
I crossed an open meadow area, still very steep, but open, approach thick evergreens and there’s the herd - totally unaware I’m there. I got 25’ from a beautiful large cow. That’s right twenty-five feet. I had a clear shot. Took a knee, raised my rifle and WTF? The bull bugled; a zillion hooves thundered within the trees, the cow I had sights amscrayed as the whole herd up and bolted down the steep in thick trees. They heard the Man making his way through timber towards ’em. All I need was another 15 seconds and I woulda had elk to pack out! At this point I had steam coming out of my ears.
When we finally join up again later in afternoon, back at camp. I announce, “I’m hunting solo tomorrow! You scared the herd and I had a 25’ shot! You’re driving me nuts!”
“How do you know it was me?”
[Is this guy kidding]
“Cause we’re the only frickin’ people out here!”

Day 3: Plan was to split up. I’ll go in 30 minutes ahead and hunt north, he’ll follow and hunt south. Just after 1st light I spot a herd and pursued. Had cow down by 7:10 a.m. No idea where man was. Couldn’t move the cow for the life of me; tried logs as levers - no go; tried ropes looped over trees - no go, so went for no-gut method. Got back straps and 1 hq in game bags when walkie talkie beeped. Man says, “Where are you?”
”Cow elk down. I’m doing no gut. Come help!”
He found me after some back and forth walkie talkie directions.
In spite of being noisy, he‘s a good guy, and is wiling to help pack out.

Day 4: Finished my pack out, with Man’s help. Thank you, Man.

Skip to Day 8: The Plan: I’ll stay high and glass; and radio to him if I see elk and guide him towards. At this point our ranch dog, Scout McNab, is with me. Scout and I watch for elk. Man thinks he’s going to stay with us. I put the kabash on that, and told him to start hiking the ridge line - roughly same elevation as Scout and me, as we were staying high for vantage points.
Man hikes. I spot elk above him and radio the details.
Man starts the sneak.
I’m hoping he doesn’t decide to stop and eat his damned breakfast.
Herd went into trees.
Man stayed high.
Scout and I dropped low and BOLTED down the trail to try to force the herd to stay high where Man was.
We ran about 3/4 mile from original vantage point, and then hear: BOOM!
Thank frickin’…. He got one.
Walkie talkie beeps.
“Cow elk down, baby!”
YES!
Another 2 day pack out.
Two cows in the freezer.
So now he doesn’t think he was ever THAT noisy.
Argh. Until we get lucky enough to get drawn again. Maybe I’ll get him super sensitive hearing aids.

Last edited:

Afhunter1

WKR
Good job and Congrats! Boy you wouldn’t like hunting with me. I intentionally make noise and bust stuff to be as loud as I can, within reason. I try to sound like elk moving through the woods and I eat a lot. Ha ha.

Last edited:

SBR Sarge

FNG
Well, sounds like he redeemed himself with helping to pack yours out.

Until then, I was going to say the thing to do was to dump him and marry me!

Seriously, that’s way cool to get a double like that.

Randle

WKR
Elk make noise thats how I sneak up on them
My grandsons 17 and 15 love elk hunting cause they can make some brush busting noise.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a good elk hunting partner to me. You might just have different hunting styles. Noise doesn't bother elk, and I would have no problem with someone eating breakfast/lunch when you're glassing.

CRJR45

WKR
Well , seeings how I'm a man , I've got a few ideas .
One , try not to emasculate the poor guy so much . Maybe not so much butch and a little more demur .
Let him think for himself , a little , he might like it !

Just kidding , congrats on the hunt , sounds like a fun time !

Geewhiz

WKR
Would be interested to hear if he had a good time. No offense but you’re not coming across like you’re treating him very well.

Seams like everything that went wrong over 8 days was his fault.

bsnedeker

WKR
Would be interested to hear if he had a good time. No offense but you’re not coming across like you’re treating him very well.

Seams like everything that went wrong over 8 days was his fault.
Yeah, and my biggest question: how do you need an EXTRA 15 seconds to kill an elk at 25' with a rifle? Sounds like someone blaming a hunting partner for their lack of competence with their weapon.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Sounds like a good elk hunting partner to me. You might just have different hunting styles. Noise doesn't bother elk, and I would have no problem with someone eating breakfast/lunch when you're glassing.
Forgot about that part! What is a better time to eat than when you are glassing????

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought it was a great write up and mostly tongue in cheek to add a bit of fun to the adventure. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, and my biggest question: how do you need an EXTRA 15 seconds to kill an elk at 25' with a rifle? Sounds like someone blaming a hunting partner for their lack of competence with their weapon.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I'm 25 feet from an elk in the open
Don't want to risk such a long shot standing
I lower my entire body to my knees and raise my rifle
All of the elk freak out immediately
They must have heard something in the trees

Mojave

WKR
I am incredibly thankful my wife doesn't hunt.

I asked her to read your post, she said if this is the way she treats him she is lucky he is still there.