Tagged out in A zone... Nooner

MeatBuck

WKR
Heavily hunted area of public. Watched 4 guys walk right past him. I think someone shot at him or at something 5 times and I watched him run and then stop and look back. Made my move. Got to within 700 yards and picked him up again. Moved to 500 then 450 and then couldn't find him. Finally I see him further down the hill under a bush. Get set up dial in for 450. Whiff.
He runs downhill to the right and beds down in the open. Weird. Maybe I did hit him?
He gets back up and walks behind the biggest bush and stays there for 30min. I'm now only 320 away and snacking while glassing and waiting. Finally a little after noon he steps out and I hammer him high shoulder. Spined him and wasted some good back straps.
Spent the rest of the day in the shade of a creek boning him out and relaxing with my boots off while meat hung to cool.
Mixed up a batch of mtnops ignite just as the sun was fading and made the two mile pack out uphill in just under two hours. Hit the truck just before dark. Made it home before 10 and got all the meat layed out in the meat fridge to age for a couple weeks. Can't wait to have what's left of the backstraps.image.jpegimage.png

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Wow that buck still looks like he is in the first week of July. Congratulations (y)! That buck should eat like candy after aging.
He had to have been within hours of shedding it. By the time I got him drug down to the creek and then packed out to the truck the velvet went from 100% coverage to 70%. No blood under it and peeling like a banana.

jfs82

WKR
Congrats! Seeing these threads is getting me damn excited for taking a deer( or bear if one happen to walk in front of me first...) Though it's my first years hunting so Im expecting to get nothing whatsoever.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Managed to somehow avoid the itch of the oak. Not quite sure how being that it was everywhere and the deer was tangled up in it.
Looking forward to seeing someone else's success story. Good luck out there guys n gals.