Take a Newb Hunting

chasewild

WKR
I was laying in bed last night - typical pre-season anxiety that starts this time of year every year - and I got a text from my hunting partner who was also laying in bed, not sleeping, thinking about his September elk hunt. Made me laugh, but also made me smile.

Before 2014, my partner had never hunted before. I was a "solo" hunter because I'd been burned by some previous partners and I was skeptical anyone could "get on my level" with the commitment, the ethics, and my philosophical perspective on the importance of hunting in modern society. I knew he was tough and thoughtful and loyal, so when he asked in 2014 if he could go, I said why not.

Now, five years later, that was one of the best hunting decisions I've ever made. We've shared grueling pack-outs, complete failures, and incredible successes. Now, we make a point to hunt every year for at least a few days somewhere in CO.

In 2014, I also took my girlfriend (now wife) on a backcountry mule deer hunt. Admittedly, it was for fun, but it was also a bit of a test. She'd never hunted, never saw herself hunting, and wasn't really interested. She hunted with me in 2015 for sheep, 2016 for mule deer, 2017 for elk, and 2018 for sheep again -- this time it was her tag. She was a newb, now she's passionate and brings a whole new female perspective to something that was only male dominated in my family. It's been brilliant.

Taking a non-hunter into the field has been incredibly rewarding for me. And ever year there are hundreds of "new to the forum, need help" posts. Food for thought, but some of those newbs might be the best hunting partner you could find. I'm not saying "haul them into your honey hole!" but maybe striking up a friendship wouldn't kill us salty-ass veterans.

Post Script

I'm still vehemently opposed to GMU numbers and areas in posts Newbs. :)

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I am taking my brother-in-law, never hunted in his life, on his first hunt this fall. He lives in Phoenix and had a friend mention Coues deer to him. He asked me at Christmas last year if I had ever hunted Coues (I haven't) and wanted to know if I would take him.

We drew out for the Late Nov./Early Dec. hunt in Unit 32. It will be a challenge, but hoping he loves it and sticks with hunting.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
All sounds good in theory, the only flaw in this is the people you guys are taking out are people you already know and trust. I am very intolerable of poor muzzle control, and meeting a stranger off the internet with no experience is not my thing. Archery being the exception to this. I guess it’s a little more difficult than it sounds to take a new comer hunting is what I’m saying.

I enjoy taking new people or ppl with limited experience into the field, even though some haven't been very fun/productive experiences. I think it is very important for successful/safe/smart/experienced hunters to take people into the field and show them the ropes (i.e. take good shots, minding the wind, taking care of the meat properly, etc). I have been fortunate enough to have people help me out along the way and really appreciate it. That being said, right now I would have a hard time taking an inexperienced person or someone I didn't know on a western hunt (whitetail/turkey/predator hunting sounds like a better intro). I'm in the same boat as a lot of ppl on here asking for help/looking for partners - I want to do more out of state hunts, but no one to go with half of the time. I have a handful of friends that already have their "hunting groups" and you just can't invite your buddy (no one else knows) to join the annual group trip out west/join deer camp. It's a real bummer, but totally understandable! Goal is to keep getting better at hunting and form my own "group". When I'm experienced enough, I think it would feel pretty dang good to take a newb (with a lot of drive) on their first western hunt!

CX5Ranch

WKR
I go to church with a guy that invited me. He has been 32 years straight and killed 19 elk all otc archery. I thought those were pretty fair odds so I better check this deal out! He literally toted me to the honey hole and let me do the shooting. I have several awesome hunts and a few misses and a few packouts to thank him for. He was there the whole time just helping me. I put in my part though and it made the whole deal worth while for both of us. I'll be stepping foot in his truck again this year for another 2 weeks of heaven...or hell.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I introduced several guys to hunting when I lived in in Great Falls and Bozeman—muleys, antelope, and ducks—but lost touch with them. All good experiences, mostly successful. Not all would have been good long term hunting partners, but I figured even if they didn’t stick with it, they would at least be educated allies rather than ignorant adversaries.

Last edited:

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
My 27 year old chosen daughter really wants to hunt. I'm hoping to get her out shooting with a .22 and work her up to a .270 to start with. She has a crossbow and I have some friends who only allow crossbows/archery hunting on their farm, so I'm hopeful that will give her a good chance of killing a deer. She's very much into getting good quality meat. I'm much more excited for her than i am for myself.

dtrkyman

WKR
The highlight of being a guide is always taking someone new or inexperienced and seeing them enjoy the hunt!

I have guided a bunch of first timers hunting and fishing, good times!!!

elkduds

WKR
These days I get more pleasure out of helping younger and older hunters succeed, than from pulling my own trigger.