Take the kids along!

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Prior to having kids my husband and I spent a majority of our time backpacking, scouting, or hunting. Now we have two kids a eight month old little girl, and a three year old boy. I would be lying if before we had our first child, our son, I didn't question whether we would be able to get out like we "used" to. However we just took him and it worked! Even with our second, our little girl I wondered how it would "change" things. The reality is it only changes what you allow it to change. Yes there is more to pack because now you are packing for four people instead of two, which is why our family decided to get into pack goats you can read about that here Pack Goats for Backcountry Hunting but we easily got by without pack stock too. Bottom line I don't know who needs to hear this but put all your worries, and concerns away and just make it happen! You will learn what works and what doesn't along the way, as with anything. I have never had a terrible experience though, my best advice for getting little ones in the backcountry, or to sleep in a tent, is simply do your best to recreate how they sleep at home. We took our daughter out for the first time when she was three months old did a 9 mile backpacking trip and I packed a portable sound machine that we use at home with us, she slept amazing! Just get them out, I know they will surprise you in how well they handle the situation. There is something about being outside that I believe is just naturally stimulating for kids. We don't skip a beat with our outdoor pursuits, and my favorite trips are always the ones when the kids are in tow!

WGFCONTEST1.jpg

WFGCONTEST6.jpg

DSC_0083-2resize.jpg

DSC_0448-2RESIZED.jpg

Resize2.jpg

DSC_0056-2resize.jpg

BestofEdit-17resize.jpg

BestofEdit-18resize.jpg

BestofEdit-42resize.jpg

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
How do you like the THULE baby hauler that is in one of your pictures?
My son is five months old and growing like a weed so carrying him in your arms or over the shoulder for extended periods is getting old fast. My wife and I have discussed buying a baby pack and that one looks pretty slick.

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the THULE baby hauler that is in one of your pictures?
My son is five months old and growing like a weed so carrying him in your arms or over the shoulder for extended periods is getting old fast. My wife and I have discussed buying a baby pack and that one looks pretty slick.

It’s really been a game changer for us. We not only use it backpacking but we also use it at the ranch when we are working cattier just a lot easier to throw them on your back in a farmer carrier. I don’t really care for the frame on backpacking trips it digs into my back on long weighted down trips but we rigged it up to use my kifaru frame on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
It’s really been a game changer for us. We not only use it backpacking but we also use it at the ranch when we are working cattier just a lot easier to throw them on your back in a farmer carrier. I don’t really care for the frame on backpacking trips it digs into my back on long weighted down trips but we rigged it up to use my kifaru frame on it.

I have a Kifaru duplex frame I could use one on. About how much storage is on the thule bag? It's chaos sometimes trying to deal with chores and a baby that wants to be held. This is definitely on the must have list.

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru duplex frame I could use one on. About how much storage is on the thule bag? It's chaos sometimes trying to deal with chores and a baby that wants to be held. This is definitely on the must have list.

Oh yes how could I forget we use ours as well doing chores with the chickens and goats around our house you will love being able to throw them on your back, and both kids enjoy it. So it has two pockets there is a bigger pocket at the bottom of the back that I usually was able to pack most of the babies gear for a weekend backpacking trip. Including diapers, wipes, sleepers, swaddles, and bunting system. I also really like the side entry, some of the baby carriers we were looking at three years ago only had top entrance lot
ebc64f8545be777166d733da3904aeea.jpg
860f21624a1511594e8f0628fb64f827.jpg
adcb7ef6a5cb7f03c96ea7cf9b140c0e.jpg
347505b2dfef3740edf64dbba63201dc.jpg
0bf7553671d65532c56924ffdb5be9db.jpg

Azone

WKR
Oh yes how could I forget we use ours as well doing chores with the chickens and goats around our house you will love being able to throw them on your back, and both kids enjoy it. So it has two pockets there is a bigger pocket at the bottom of the back that I usually was able to pack most of the babies gear for a weekend backpacking trip. Including diapers, wipes, sleepers, swaddles, and bunting system. I also really like the side entry, some of the baby carriers we were looking at three years ago only had top entrance lot
ebc64f8545be777166d733da3904aeea.jpg
860f21624a1511594e8f0628fb64f827.jpg
adcb7ef6a5cb7f03c96ea7cf9b140c0e.jpg
347505b2dfef3740edf64dbba63201dc.jpg
0bf7553671d65532c56924ffdb5be9db.jpg

Thank you for the additional pictures Bounty, very helpful.

It's so awesome to see parents taking their kids out with them!! I see it so little where I'm at and catch shit for taking my kids in the hills all the time. It's truly amazing how much the kids want to go now even in crappy weather they're ready. Thanks for sharing!!

2 kids is so easy. can’t believe people use that excuse

probably best day of my life. Little one literally was just taking first steps in this hut
and I shot my first Tahr here

50DB8D6E-41D1-4F6B-BC3E-F2E7C9671CF7.jpeg

Awesome pictures! My best memories of my dad are from the 40 days we spent in an old 10-man Army tent dredging for gold on the Mokelumne River. I was 14. After working from dawn to dusk we talked for hours, more on those trips than in all the rest of our discussions combined. He's gone now, too soon, but memories of those times last forever.

We had many other trips, starting from when I was pretty young. But nowhere near as young as your kids. What an amazing gift to give your children.
Gold-Mining-on-the-Mokelumne_HC (1).jpg

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome pictures! My best memories of my dad are from the 40 days we spent in an old 10-man Army tent dredging for gold on the Mokelumne River. I was 14. After working from dawn to dusk we talked for hours, more on those trips than in all the rest of our discussions combined. He's gone now, too soon, but memories of those times last forever.

We had many other trips, starting from when I was pretty young. But nowhere near as young as your kids. What an amazing gift to give your children.
View attachment 149012

Love this! Love hearing that specific time with your father was so impactful! I hope years from now my kids feel the same way about our adventures!

OP
WesternBounty

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider