Takedown Cleaning Rod for Field Use?

BCD

WKR
Does anyone have any suggestions for a quality, highly portable, takedown cleaning rod for use in the field/for travel?

Thank You!

nobody

WKR
How clean are we talking? Are you just wanting to clear obstructions? If so, I carry a Boresnake for that very reason. Usually an undersized one, so I don't have to re-foul the barrel.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the Atsko Rapid Rod, which I got from Brownells.

Reactions: BCD
I use an Otis m4 cleaning kit...you can remove a bunch of stuff to lighten it up...just swap out the brushes for the caliber of you choice...keep my optics cleaning stuff in there too...you can pick them up pretty cheap...

Ucsdryder

WKR
Snow and mud? How about a stick? If you carried a solution very every possible issue you might come across, you’d need a pack mule.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Why so much judgement?

I carry one because having a barrel plugged with mud stops a hunt. A 25yo kid who works for me thought shooting the mud out would work for his expensive Benelli duck gun that had just a touch of mud in it from dropping it. He found out that Benelli is very proud of their barrels when it bulged upon firing...

To each his own, as they say. I won’t judge you for not carrying something to clear the barrel - I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Why so much judgement?

I carry one because having a barrel plugged with mud stops a hunt. A 25yo kid who works for me thought shooting the mud out would work for his expensive Benelli duck gun that had just a touch of mud in it from dropping it. He found out that Benelli is very proud of their barrels when it bulged upon firing...

To each his own, as they say. I won’t judge you for not carrying something to clear the barrel - I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sab , sorry I hurt your little feelers, just giving the OP another option besides carrying something that he won’t use 999 out of 1000 trips. Especially if he tapes his barrel.

WCB

WKR
I second or third or fifth whatever number I am on the Rapid Rod. Yeah put tape over your barrel also....If you happen to get a casing stuck in the chamber easier to push it out...same with snow/ice and mud. Sh!t happens even with tape....that little rod could come in handy. May not use it 999 out of 1,000 but that one time you will be glad you are not trying to push a rope.

Reactions: BCD

rayporter

WKR
i have carried a piece of weed eater line for a long time for that job. rolled up in a zip loc with few patches and an oiled piece of felt it stays in my pack.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Sab , sorry I hurt your little feelers, just giving the OP another option besides carrying something that he won’t use 999 out of 1000 trips. Especially if he tapes his barrel.
Ucsdryder, I'm a very forgiving man. Apology accepted!