Taking a friend to a prime spot

IdahoElk

WKR
How would you handle finding out that a friend you took to one of your prime spots with the understanding and a handshake that he was not to hunt the area without me was and in addition was also bringing other people there?
I realize That the woods belong to everyone but this area was so far off his radar that unless I brought him there he would never have found it.
When you give someone your word is there a time period that it expires in relation to hunting spots?
Just curious how you guys would deal with it.
I'll probably never go back to the spot now but the thing that bothers me is he gave his word on a handshake and agreed to my terms.

SWOHTR

WKR
Move on and be wiser next time. Although I’ll say, I’ve never been the type that cares if someone goes back to a place I show them. Never have appreciated that aspect of hunting/fishing.

Possibly be in there opening morning with a couple hundred rounds of ammo using it as you walk the area. Or do that the day before season opens. But at the least, I'd be done with the guy, as in he is dead to me.

The only thing trying to spoil the guys hunt would do is spoil your hunt. Move on, but I would tell him in person or by text that he screwed himself because you would have shared some other good places and hunts with him thru the years. That is not a possibility now. Then wash your hands of him for hunting and as a friend, because his is NOT a friend. He is a user.

Rob5589

WKR
Dirtbag move. You're correct though, the woods belong to everyone. Which he valued more than your friendship. So again, DB move.

How would you handle finding out that a friend you took to one of your prime spots with the understanding and a handshake that he was not to hunt the area without me was and in addition was also bringing other people there?
I realize That the woods belong to everyone but this area was so far off his radar that unless I brought him there he would never have found it.
When you give someone your word is there a time period that it expires in relation to hunting spots?
Just curious how you guys would deal with it.
I'll probably never go back to the spot now but the thing that bothers me is he gave his word on a handshake and agreed to my terms.
Pull the plug on the friendship and move on. WTF, sniping a friend's honey hole that's a mortal sin in my hunting circles. The guy is a dishonest and untrustworthy dirt bag.

Have been there and had it happen to me.
Reveals who your friends really are.
Need to move on but it can and does cost friendships.

Azone

WKR
No excuse for that kinda behavior, cut all ties and move on. I would say delete their number from your phone but saving it so you can send him a picture of your next bull from an undisclosed location is not a bad option either.

Call him out on it and then cut ties on hunting at a minimum. Your call on if he's still ok to be a social aquaintance but I'd say no for me.

njdoxie

WKR
I would definitely have to ask him about your agreement and get his explanation. I would have to know what he was thinking. Then cut ALL ties, period. Could be awkward if his kids hang with your kids or you work with him. Best policy is tell no one.

I have a friend who confided a spot to me, asked me to tell no one. You would have to torture me to get that info, I’ve not told family or anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Unfortunately there are those individuals that will sell their soul for the big one. I have taken friends to some of my favorite spots and only have them tell me that I am nuts to hunt that area and they are never going with me again. It does show a severe lack of ethics in your friend though. I would find a different friend. And if he ask why you don't talk to him anymore just state that you don't like being taken advantage of. Friendships are to important to you.