Taking a friend to a prime spot

cnelk

WKR
Here's a story...

I OTC elk hunted with a co-worker for 5 years. Showed him some of the best spots I found over the years.
In 2012, I drew a LE and didnt hunt OTC that year.

While I was in my LE unit, he took some other guys into the areas, and killed some elk.
Not only that, he brought the elk down to my place and washed everything off while I was gone.

We had a nose to nose conversation shortly thereafter and havent spoke to him in years.

KyleR1985

WKR
Yup, the perfect narcissist's answer. It's the victim 's fault for not knowing that the dirtbag was a lying BS artist.

I didn’t intend to come off as self absorbed. I only mean that people usually give plenty of indicators of their character very quickly upon meeting them. We make choices, both consciously and subconsciously, to ignore, look past, or rationalize and justify certain behaviors that would be red flags if this person wasn’t a ‘friend’ or ally. Then, when people do, what people do, and we’re hurt by it, we tend to ignore or forget what we should’ve paid attention to in the beginning.

I’m not saying the offending friend is this case is not responsible for his behavior. He is a jerk. What I am saying is how that person being a jerk affects the OP is his responsibility alone. And instead of offering comfort for someone being mean to him, I’m offering him a rather realistic perspective on how to approach the situation.

Most people don’t want to take the time to really think through and analyze their friends for trustworthiness with a hunting spot. The simple answer is don’t share them. And if you do, only do it with folks who you’ve had plenty of time to observe their behavior in good both times and bad. But blaming a person fully, for acting like 90% of human beings on the planet, is pointless.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression

okcaveman

FNG
I truly appreciate when more experienced hunters give me advise, be it how animals behave, what type of terrain they like, or even give me a general idea of a good area like saying "that's a good unit to hunt". But I specifically tell people, even good/great friends that I do not want them to tell me their "honey holes" I avoid those spots like the plague, even when people tell me to hunt them. Just doesnt seem right. But if I put the work in and find it on my own, that's a different story.

I've been burned a time or 2 on sharing spots. I'm a lot more cautious these days