Taking a friend to a prime spot

I've always found that those that don't, or have never worked to find a spot, are the worse offenders.

There is no statue of limitations on a spot someone brought you into.

njdoxie

WKR
So screw any other guy that worked hard to find that area? That’s a childish response, I’m sure that the OP is not the only one who hunted that area.

You misunderstand, the OP HANDED his buddy a spot, his buddy didn’t find it himself. If a stranger hunts that same spot and wasn’t clued into it by your friend, well that’s public land hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You misunderstand, the OP HANDED his buddy a spot, his buddy didn’t find it himself. If a stranger hunts that same spot and wasn’t clued into it by your friend, well that’s public land hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I didn’t misunderstand, I made that comment to someone who said to post the coordinates of the spot on every forum so it would get ruined.
I in turn was saying that would screw anyone that hunted that spot because they found it and worked hard for it. Not talking about the friend of the OP but anyone else that hunts that spot, because believe it or not other ppl are capable of finding a spot without being shown. I just think it’s comical that when ppl find a spot on public land they think they’re the only ones that have ever been smart enough to find it. I ran into a real jerk once who wanted to know who told me about the area I was hunting because I was from out of state and there was no way I could have known about that area without inside info. He wasn’t happy when my answer was maps and it doesn’t take a genius to figure that area out.

I think there's a lot of glass houses getting cracked over this. I didn't realize there were so many perfect hunters in the world. The main reason I have backup plans to backup plans, not gonna get wound up over someone else hunting public land. If that was the case I would end up staying home. Better just enjoy the time you have left on public ground before it all gets sold off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Totally not the point, at least from my perspective. OP worked hard and found a great spot on public land. All others are free to put in their own hard work (or get lucky and stumble upon it).

But that isn't what happened. OP made a gentlemen's agreement with his friend, "I'll show you a great spot if you agree not to hunt there without me." Friend made a solemn promise to honor the terms of the offer. Not only did friend then break his word, but he further betrayed trust by bringing other people there.

No excuse for that, and I don't personally know anyone who would not consider this a huge deal, a deal breaker for most. I wouldn't do that to a stranger to whom I made the same promise, much less a friend. Your word is your bond, something of great value.

Maybe it's my culture, but that sort of thing matters to me and the people with whom I associate. Has absolutely nothing to do with public land access and everything to do with trust and keeping your word.

I'm not saying I couldn't reconcile with the guy. People make mistakes, and contrite people deserve forgiveness. Maybe that is what you mean by glass houses. But it would take some hard work to keep him as a friend. And trust would possibly never be restored.

As I said before, I've never met a man who would do what this guy's friend did.

Last edited:
How would you handle finding out that a friend you took to one of your prime spots with the understanding and a handshake that he was not to hunt the area without me was and in addition was also bringing other people there?
I realize That the woods belong to everyone but this area was so far off his radar that unless I brought him there he would never have found it.
When you give someone your word is there a time period that it expires in relation to hunting spots?
Just curious how you guys would deal with it.
I'll probably never go back to the spot now but the thing that bothers me is he gave his word on a handshake and agreed to my terms.

Only take friends to your bad spots

I got burned on a spot a few years ago. Needless to say I haven't talked to the person, or people who he brought in much since. I don't want to be associated with anyone who would screw me on a place I spent a large amount of my time figuring out.

Loose lips sink ships.

Tod osier

WKR
these threads are always fascinating. I too have been burned.

People are scumbags all over the place, so it shouldn't be a surprise. They cheat on their taxes, cheat on their spouses, litter, screw other folks over to get what they want, lie to sell you something, etc... The one guy that I really pushed on using a spot that I took him to and showed him how to hunt had it all clear in his head. When I called him out his response was that his agreement with me was that he would not target the particular species we hunted in the spot I showed him (implication being that he could still hunt the species if he was targeting something else there). I don't agree with his take on what we discussed beforehand, but the conditions for him to work around our agreement (in other words, weasel out of) were real clear in his head.

Firstly, I would not show anyone a hunting spot that I would not want them to hunt in. If you show someone a hunting spot do so with the expectation they will probably hunt it then you will never have to be disapointed in anyone over a hunting spot. Through life when you have that hunting partner you have hunted with for years on end they might be someone you share that favorite honey hole with but otherwise not so much. But there are some folks out there that would give a stranger the shirt off his back and in some cases even his favorite honey hole and without the least of worries. But that's not most of us.

JWP58

WKR
I'm pretty generous with my big game "spots". But I'd rather die than give up my bird hunting spots (worked a lot harder for them).

I'd just keep hunting and lose a friend. Or ask him wtf he is doing.

KyleR1985

WKR
Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t take information on ‘spots’ on public land from friends. I may compare notes with other hunters and discuss places we haven’t hinted or had success in to try and figure things out. But if a friend offers his ‘honey hole’, I don’t want it- it takes the fun and adventure out if hunting.

I’ll play devils advocate with the OP and offer that maybe you should’ve seen this coming prior. If you have a person who will accept your handout with no work on their part, and are the type to be satisfied with the results of that, you shouldn’t be surprised with what happened. I think some personal responsibility is due here. Things aren’t black and white.

Granted, I know things happen quick, and it’s different when you make a split decision to walk into a spot together, versus showing someone a spot on a map. But your friend didn’t suddenly turn into a jerk in that moment. People give you plenty of insight into their makeup. It’s your responsibility to act accordingly. And if you didn’t have time to uncover your friend’s moral shortcomings, it’s on you for being willing to share so quickly. Not because it was ‘wrong’, but because the outcome is your responsibility to be ok or not ok with.

My take is that you bear more responsibility than him in this situation. And also, to answer your question about what to do - I’d not tell that guy spots anymore, and I’d re-evaluate the criteria by which I select people I do tell about spots, if it’s that important to you.

NDGuy

WKR
that we hunted this together about 5yrs ago,since then I moved on to other areas/QUOTE]
This bit of info personally makes me indifferent. Yes spot stealing is shady but 5 years ago on an area you don't even go to? I'm pretty meh about it, idk if that's worth losing a friendship over personally.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
...My take is that you bear more responsibility than him in this situation. And also, to answer your question about what to do - I’d not tell that guy spots anymore, and I’d re-evaluate the criteria by which I select people I do tell about spots, if it’s that important to you.

Yup, the perfect narcissist's answer. It's the victim 's fault for not knowing that the dirtbag was a lying BS artist.

muddydogs

WKR
Wow,thanks for all the responses!
Seems quite a few of us have had the same experience.
so as they say every story has two sides,his story was that we hunted this together about 5yrs ago,since then I have moved on to other areas,he knows this but due to the insane hunting pressure in my neck of the woods(unit 48) I have been revisiting all my spots to see how the Elk activity is so that I have a mental note on potential spots for this season.
He like other "locals" are stressed trying to find spots that non res may not know about,he said he hasn't hunted the area since we last did,was doing a walk through and will honor our agreement. I told him he can do whatever he wants,I have a lot of other spots and don't need drama,we won't be hunting together again.

The one thing I have notice in 30yrs of Elk hunting is you never know the true character of a person until a 6x is in range, some people really do lose it.

So you haven't even hunted the spot for 5 years, have no idea if he has or hasn't been hunting the spot for the last 5 years and now your all butt hurt? Sure people should respect what others have shown them but lets get real you haven't hunted it for 5 years and its on public land, how many other people have been hunting this spot in the last 5 years?

Bottom line is don't show anyone your spots if you don't want them hunting there as the spot probably has enough traffic from everyone else that thinks it's there secrete spot.

I have an elk hunting buddy that I met through another friend. They have been best friends since elementary school, but are now in different parts of the country.

When we went hunting in an area that he had scouted hard to find, he asked me to keep the location confidential.

Which I did.

It got back to me that he heard that I told our mutual friend when he was asking about our hunt location, "You gotta ask him about it. I gave my word to keep silent."

I have no doubt that I could call him up and say that I was interested in going on a hunt in the area that he introduced me to and he'd have no problem with it at all.

I suspect that the OP would've done the same.

It's just a simple courtesy and the ethics of keeping your word. No drama. You make choices regarding who you hunt with based on several factors.

Choose wisely.

wytx

WKR
Just tell him you'll be there opening morning with 4 of your best friends to hunt it. Let him know they will be there all season knowing it's a good area.

How would you handle finding out that a friend you took to one of your prime spots with the understanding and a handshake that he was not to hunt the area without me was and in addition was also bringing other people there?
I realize That the woods belong to everyone but this area was so far off his radar that unless I brought him there he would never have found it.
When you give someone your word is there a time period that it expires in relation to hunting spots?
Just curious how you guys would deal with it.
I'll probably never go back to the spot now but the thing that bothers me is he gave his word on a handshake and agreed to my terms.
Just like fishing spots only take people who don’t own boats to your secret fishing spot.

Anozira

WKR
I made the mistake of taking my brother in-law to my best dove honey hole. I had high hopes of introducing him to hunting and possibly making a good relationship as a hunting partner. Next thing I know, he told me he is looking forward to this years dove opener and making hunting party plans with his co-workers in that spot. I just about blew a head gasket when he told me this. I hinted at the fact its not OK to share hunting spots but he doesn't seem to care and told me there are plenty of birds. It is indeed located on public land but he won't be invited on anymore hunts with me.

Punch him in the nuts, then move on. I've never had this happen but would be really pissed if it did. I primarily hunt solo but do have a few guys who I hunt with from time to time and we all know/respect each others spots.

If you have to shake hands and make an agreement, then he's not worth taking. I wouldn't be outright spiteful toward him, but if he ever asked "why don't we hunt together again" I'd have a very clear and honest answer.

Among my hunting partners, it is understood; no words need to be spoken.
Out of 12 guys in our leased whitetail hunt club, only 3 have a clue where and how I hunt. Two of the three are elk hunting with me this year.