Taking a pay cut ??

WKR
I left AZ and moved to TX for a great pay raise. I just spend all my time off driving back to AZ or CO to go hunting. Wife is hounding me to move back and take a 30-40% cut in pay. After five years of living without any public land, I am willing to move back west. Just after this fall season haha.

Ebroyles

FNG
Cost of living is a big factor. If it less than where your currently at then it’s an option.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome..... Congratulations and good luck!

This post gives me alot of inspiration/motivation! I'm in the same boat as you, minus the job offer but we are looking!

One other thing to remember. If you decide this is what is best for family, expect friends and others to tell you that your crazy. Never fails. I made the decision, with a wife and 3 kids, to leave the military after 10 years. Everyone said I should stay in and retire, since I was half way through. Obviously we prayed and thought about that before we made the decision. The amount of time that I spent away and having my kids going to their 7th school weighed heavily into the decision.

I got a Corporate Job in Arkansas and have never looked back. Best decision I ever made, but everyone was sure it was the worst lol Amazing how friends and family know what is better for you than you do.
I made a similar choice. 7 years in the military and decided to get out. Everyone said I was making the biggest mistake. It’s turned out to be the best decision I’ve ever made. More time with my family, and having a choice in where you work and what you do it refreshing..

peterk123

WKR
My wife and i are about to take a 66% cut in pay. We are moving from a nice house in a nice neighborhood to a duplex which is surrounded by mobile homes. But, we are moving from Massachusetts to Montana. It is all about quality of life. Money is a necessity but how much do you really need? I just wish we figured this out thirty years ago.

ColoradoV

WKR
I was skiing what seemed to be a 2 week storm up in the nw at Mt Baker in spring 98. Ended up getting a invite to couch surf at this “old dudes” house. He must have been 47 😂👍! Small house that needed painting, beat cars, wood burner, 2 girls 8 and 10.

Anyway while listening to Lee Scratch Perry and waxing the boards one night knowing we were going to ride another 2’ of fresh on Tuesday he told me “man I don’t have a fancy house or car but I have no debt and have gotten in like 10,000 good days...”

It stuck w me and at almost 50 I don’t have a fancy car or house but no debt and pry have gotten in close to 10,000 good days lol..

The worst mistake I ever made was leaving CO in 1999. Now my wife will not move back. You are very fortunate.
Happy times in CO to you and family.

Since I feel you fellow hunters and I think a lot alike I was hoping I could bounce a question off you guys. I have been offered a job out west where I really want to be to pursue more big game hunting. The job is a 4.96 an hour less than I currently make. My current job really doesn't have a path up where as the job offer will come with a lot of job building skills to advance my career that could easily lead to more money in the future. We have no debt other than the home mortgage with quite a bit of equity in it. My wife is on board with the only reservation being the pay cut. She is an RN so she has no worries about finding a job.

Question is there ever a situation where it would make since to take a pretty good pay cut with no guarantee to get back to current rate of pay?

Thanks for any all feedback guys

Sounds like a no brainer to me. One can always cut out every spend that is not an absolute necessity.

Trial153

WKR
I would think a 10k ish change income can be made up up fairly easy most anywhere with some thought and effort.
I say move where you really want to live and have at it.
Best wishes and good luck !

Tradchef

WKR
I’ve always had that issue being a chef. We work all the time, every holiday, every weekend, 6 to 7 day work weeks and get paid shit. I can make a lot more in metro areas being specialized but I’d rather spend my one day off in the mountains every week. I left the coast 11 years ago. Still working all the time and have shit for time but I’d rather be out here anyday.

Rich M

WKR
My uncle, whom I idolized as a kid, was a very good businessman and earner. On his death bead, he told me he had enough money to buy just about anything, but he couldn’t buy another day...
You can't understand money until your wife or kid has a health issue and you spend all you've got saved and have to work for more.

That's why there is a balance, rainbows and unicorns are fun until something happens.

Last edited:
Plan on at least 6 weeks to resign.

Listen to these podcasts.

[Career Tools] How to Resign (Part 1 of 3) #careerTools
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/1001239 via @PodcastAddict

[Career Tools] How to Resign (Part 2 of 3) #careerTools
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/1001241 via @PodcastAddict

[Career Tools] How to Resign (Part 3 of 3) #careerTools
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/1001242 via @PodcastAddict

I would rent for a while. Figure out where you want to buy, wait for the housing market to come off the pandemic highs.