Taking a rest to stabilize shots - why isn't this a thing in archery?

A rifle hunter will rest his or her rifle on something in order to take a steady shot, as doing so greatly increases accuracy. The design of a bow makes this something between hard and impossible. However, there is at least one device specifically designed to stabilize the bow arm ("superpod"). I'm curious if anyone here has ever experimented with something like that? Seems like this could be a good way to extend range, which could be helpful in western hunting in particular.

Beendare

WKR
A buddy of mine has a tripod he uses that his bow stabilizer snaps in to it making it incredibly stable for shots out to 140 yards

He has TP so he needs it

OP
yellowbeard
A buddy of mine has a tripod he uses that his bow stabilizer snaps in to it making it incredibly stable for shots out to 140 yards

He has TP so he needs it
Very cool. Does he use it hunting, or just for target practice?

4rcgoat

WKR
I believe the point of archery is that there is no way to truly make things "easier ". A true archer should strive to find ways to improve their shot process constantly through rigorous practice and attention to detail. Trying different bow configurations, release types,draw lengths.....etc.
Just my 2 cents anyway.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I certainly wouldn't want to see that trend out in the woods. That's the whole point of archery hunting.......to keep it primitive. I don't even think that current compounds would fully fall under "primitive" anymore. Attaching or using some form of resting device to the bow would completely ruin it for me. In 25 years of rifle hunting I only used my knee as a resting device while seated once or twice maybe, the rest were free hand. I can't imagine needing or even wanting a device for archery. Unless you're handicapped, there should be no need for that. If there is, then you're shooting outside your effective range.

Stabilizing the bow isn't the restricting factor for me. As long as I've got a pin for the distance, I can make the shot. But I don't care for the sliders, so I'm limited to my 7 pins. But that's plenty IMO, and even more than I need for hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZDR
I tried a tripod years ago, I didn't think it worked very well. I used it further out on the stabilizer. The reaction of the bow is something important in follow thru. When it was held further out it really changed everything, plus you have to have it just perfect to have proper peep alignment and everything.

Better to build up your muscles and learn to hold it on your own than to try to take a shortcut in my opinion.

Shots are generally more dynamic in archery as well. With a firearm a lot of times if the animal moves 10-15 yards it's still in the same place. With a bow they move that much and it might change things by 30 degrees.

Felix40

WKR
It’s not a trend because it won’t work in hunting situations. Imagine trying to get the height right as an animal walks by on a slight grade. Plus adding anything extra to the bow changes tune and poi. So you would be forced to shoot with it every shot.

OP
yellowbeard
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I understand the push back from a sporting and ethical perspective.

I don't have an agenda here, I was curious because I had thought taking a rest was pretty much universal when hunting with a firearm. However some of the comments here make me realize I was wrong in that.

Very interesting to hear from people who have tried it and hear exactly why it doesn't work well, or is at least hard to make work well. Everything people have said makes sense, thanks again!

Its called a crossbow. And they have no buisness being in the Archery seasons.
Because they can shoot 100 yards? Or because they are less lethal and ethical to hunt with?

I don't need a crossbow, but I have no problem with crossbow hunters. They rarely take an animal past 40 yards without perfect shot placement, and it makes people who are too lazy to practice archery (not nocking disabled individuals, I'm talking people who would do fine shooting a bow, but have no interest in practicing) make better shots resulting in less wounded animals.

I've never run into a crossbow hunter in the middle of nowhere public land where I hunt. I don't think they are taking anything away from me during the season. There are several guys in my hunt club on the private lease I hunt who shoot crossbows. They'll find the deer no matter what weapon they have. The crossbow has resulted in more kills and less "we'll maybe he'll survive to next year."

For this post, I agree that if you're going to get the shooting stick for a bow, just get a crossbow. And if your going to get a crossbow, there is still a seat available for you next me in the truck on our way to a hunting spot. I just want people to hunt!

OP
yellowbeard
Crossbows are regulated as firearms where I hunt, except for disabled people, so it's not an option during bow season.

Because they can shoot 100 yards? Or because they are less lethal and ethical to hunt with?

I don't need a crossbow, but I have no problem with crossbow hunters. They rarely take an animal past 40 yards without perfect shot placement, and it makes people who are too lazy to practice archery (not nocking disabled individuals, I'm talking people who would do fine shooting a bow, but have no interest in practicing) make better shots resulting in less wounded animals.

I've never run into a crossbow hunter in the middle of nowhere public land where I hunt. I don't think they are taking anything away from me during the season. There are several guys in my hunt club on the private lease I hunt who shoot crossbows. They'll find the deer no matter what weapon they have. The crossbow has resulted in more kills and less "we'll maybe he'll survive to next year."

For this post, I agree that if you're going to get the shooting stick for a bow, just get a crossbow. And if your going to get a crossbow, there is still a seat available for you next me in the truck on our way to a hunting spot. I just want people to hunt!
The biggest issue with Xbow hunters is the weapon always winds up as a legal method of take during regular archery season. Then you have people (kids, women, seniors, lazy archers who don't practice and can't hit shit) who start harvesting and driving up success rates in areas where they have been even for years/decades. You would be amazed how inefficient they are past 50 yards. The KE falls off of a cliff. I know several make drop charts for their sights and it is hilarious beyond 50.

Once you start increasing success rates DNR (in area of lower recruitment or animals that do not recruit as fast as white tails) has to start limiting tags or opportunity. So you have all of the standard vertical bow people who practice to be proficient so they have more opportunity to hunt instead of rifle/alternative seasons, who now are SOL because crossbow companies decided to lobby and sue to have Xbows become a legal method of take so they can make more sales revenue.

If it was possible they remained a legal weapon only during alt/rifle that's one conversation. It is another if someone was forced to take a standardized test or exam in order to use one during archery. However, the manufacturers have discovered the neat trick of ''archery seasons without Xbows is discrimination to anyone who can't draw one, aim properly or is too young/old/weak/etc.,.'' where they can effectively litigate them into legality. So it becomes easier to just ban them.

The only problem I have with x-bows are the hunters who use them that don't understand them. When they first became legal here I overheard conversations with frequency about how terrible they were. "I hit that buck right at the corner of the shoulder and he just ran off with that arrow sticking out!". Or "I know I got him but he didn't drop." Stuff that seems painfully obvious when you are familiar with archery but unfortunately we have people in our area who think they missed a deer if it didn't drop on the shot. I don't care for those gun/muzzleloader hunters either.

So x-bows get the blame to some extent, but it's just ignorant hunters. However the way the x-bows seem to be advertised a lot of it is aimed at that kind of hunter, I think.

I'm sure there's a time I will pick one up. Once my shoulders can't take drawing a bow anymore I'll use one. I just don't find any attraction to them till I get to that point.

Well your thinking of an abundant whitetail mind frame.
I'm thinking as a western hunter where they are already reducing opertunity i don't want a more lethal equipment in the woods.
Sure if you have to wait to cock it until an elk is coming in at 40
There already reducing tags out here i sure a heck don't want archery success to increase.

wapitibob

WKR
WY has had crossbows in the archery season for over 40 years, CURRENTLY, they're a non issue. Having actually run into a cpl crossbow users in archery season in WY I came away with a changed opinion, that being he's just another hunter in the woods. With hunters capped by tag or license numbers he's no more threat to my hunt than any other hunter out there. If/when archery success rates increase, WY will take action but as stated, so far, they're a non issue in the state that has decades of history with them.

Reactions: 307
to all who quoted my posts - they were interesting points and adding insights I didn't have (ie, thanks and I'm also open to other perspectives). That, and sorry I made this about x-bows... that was me.. my b