Taking whitetails from the ground

Sweet thank you so much guys!!!!!!! We went scouting and found quite a few potential spots and we hope to go hunt next Thursday Friday and Saturday!

Good luck man! Where are you from again? Sorry if I missed it.

Our season opens here in NY next Friday, 10/1. I’m hoping to be in the mountains myself hunting Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J.Wells

J.Wells

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck man! Where are you from again? Sorry if I missed it.

Our season opens here in NY next Friday, 10/1. I’m hoping to be in the mountains myself hunting Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm based out of Fredericktown MO

OP
J.Wells

J.Wells

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys I got a plan set in motion! Last minute a friend is gonna let me borrow a climber which means I won't be hunting from the ground as much BUT the knowledge you guys have dropped in here is absolutely gold! The plan is to find transitions between fields and a river that runs along the side of the area. There's an acre or two along the riverside that has no full grown oaks in it but is completely cover in brush and chest high grass I've got a feeling this could be a good spot to sit by aswell.

I'm leaving to head out there on Thursday and I'll be hunting until Sunday morning! I'll let everyone know how it went once I get back

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Be advised, practice from the climber. Be aware of positions you can’t shoot and any other deviations. Be sure n bend at waist when you shoot. Where in NY are you

Maki35

WKR
Now that you borrowed a climber, be careful... wear your harness, strap in. stay off the dead trees. watch the way the tree leans.
If you're new to a climber, try using it on a tree at home first to understand how it works because you don't want to get to your hunting spot and make a racket by trying to figure out how to use it.
Good luck.

OP
J.Wells

J.Wells

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the climber for a little bit over two weeks and I've hunted out of it three times behind my house. I've got my harness system squared away and rigged up some nice backpack straps to pack it all in.

OP
J.Wells

J.Wells

Lil-Rokslider
Be advised, practice from the climber. Be aware of positions you can’t shoot and any other deviations. Be sure n bend at waist when you shoot. Where in NY are you
Sadly I'm not out of NY I'm in Missouri. I've practiced quite a bit out of it and I think I'm about as ready as I'm gonna be 🙂

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Sadly I'm not out of NY I'm in Missouri. I've practiced quite a bit out of it and I think I'm about as ready as I'm gonna be 🙂
Sorry bud my bad, I misread that post. Was gonna offer you help if you needed it and were nearby. Good luck yo ya.
Remember what I said in an earlier post. Don’t just set a stand or hide anywhere . Think. Why would they be in that area? Make sure or use your best guess it’s daytime use not nighttime.
Many guys miss that. A guy I teach hunter ed with told me just the other day he can’t get deer close enough w his recurve. I asked why?
He wasn’t sure. I asked him how he picked his spots.
He mentioned good background cover, shooting ability, etc. Not one about why a deer would be there. I brought that up to him it was like a light bulb went off.
If you’ve got a climber now, something I use as well, follow the deer. I tend to commonly use an acorn reference to illustrate the point.
White oak is a preferred source. (There’s an order even among white/black oaks)So your white oaks are dropping, deer are all over them. Once trees deplete you need to move, when all the whites are gone you move to blacks, hate to say this make sure they’re dropping nuts, some guys miss that. You’ll be moving tree to tree even when multiple white similar trees are dropping, they seem to congregate at certain trees. Watch for squirrel clippings at the tree base. Make sure you’re at correct trees. Apple trees same way, good than gone. Time to move
Same w bean, for instance. Green bean you can’t keep em out of. Stay near it, turns yellow hunt somewhere else, a climber makes that easy, use it to its full advantage. You also gotta move on account of wind, set up with those simple things in mind. Don’t sit and rot. Learn local preferred food sources for the time of year you’re hunting until the rut hits than I’d prob change tactics. Good luck