I recently purchased a Bergara Mountain Rifle in 280 Ackley for an upcoming Backpack hunt. I have plenty of rifles I built over the years but most tipped the scales in excess of 9 lbs so I wanted something lightweight; close to 7 lbs would be ideal. I really didn’t want to go through another build process with all the good factory rifles available today. I heard good things about the Bergara Premier Mountain Rifles and decided to pick one up. First impression everything looked good but not impressed with the weight. Advertised weight was less than 6lbs 5 oz and mine weighed in a 6lbs 11oz; so much for keeping the weight near 7lbs total. But told myself I could live with it if the rifle was a tack driver. I started working on some handloads and was very impressed with the ballistics of the cartridge which were very near 7 Rem Mag, but accuracy wasn’t what I was hoping for. Close to MOA but not quite, always 2 together and then a flyer. Not the .4” a average group size mentioned in the literature packed with my rifle. I figured I would try a bedding job which I always do to a new rifle but didn’t in this case because I was hoping for .4 MOA out of the box like the literature stated. When I removed the barreled action from the stock I believe I found the potential problem. Apparently the CNC inletting wasn’t exact and instead of the recoil lug sitting snuggly in the stock against the bedding block, there was excess “play” and the front action screw was taking all the punishment and beating against the pillar cracking the stock. I was able to verify this with some experimentation with and without action screws. So I began the process of glass bedding last evening and hopefully tonight I can clean everything up now that the epoxy cured and get it back together again. Hopefully this will get me those .4“ average groups Bergara claims for this rifle. Take away for me on this, don’t be lazy and properly bed all rifles before working on loads. Pictures attached showing the crack from the action side and bottom metal side of stock, which was not there before I fired the rifle. Also pictures of the groups I was getting; Hopefully things will tighten up and the third shot will group with the other two.