Talk me into a Seek Outside pack

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our Cordura is PU coated as well as any standard U.S.A Made Cordura .. which is lightly.
The SpectraGrid has a much heavier PU coating of 1500mm

The open side pockets have a drain hole at the bottom

80mm spotters should fit Peregrine, Lanner and Brooks / Sakers pocket well .. I have tested mine. 65 mm should fit in the Merlin side pocket.

gfreidy

WKR
I won't try to talk you in to it, or really compare. However the Lanner IMO is a really efficient pack for back pack hunting. There is enough org, enough space, and its quick to be an efficient daypack.

I own and founded Seek Outside, and I mostly use
Lanner
Divide
Flight
Unaweep plus Merlin
Merlin

The fact is .. the Lanner doesn't weigh that much more than the Flight and that is a UL backpacking pack

Just curious about the conditions that lead you to gravitate and choose from these packs. I think capacity wise they run: Merlin, Flight, Divide, Unaweep, Lanner, Unaweep/Merlin. Merlin is a daypack/add-on capacity. Flight seems to be an early season option. How do you choose from Divide, Unaweep, Lanner?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just curious about the conditions that lead you to gravitate and choose from these packs. I think capacity wise they run: Merlin, Flight, Divide, Unaweep, Lanner, Unaweep/Merlin. Merlin is a daypack/add-on capacity. Flight seems to be an early season option. How do you choose from Divide, Unaweep, Lanner?
Divide is more dialed for backpacking but capable for hunting, but is NOT the volume as the other options (but close ) . The Unaweep / Merlin or Talon is a great rig .. a little less volume than the Lanner but Unaweep +Melrin the detachable day pack has some advantages and the compression panel can help it haul loads bigger than stated volume ..think of it as almost another meat shelf in a way .. it gives volume expansion . The Lanner is more dialed point product. It is really closer to 6500 CI as the main bag is 5300 + . The Lanner is less fiddly than the Unaweep/ Merlin but less adaptable. It depends on your priorities .

I believe they have a 30-day money-back warranty. However, You only need to buy a seek outside and try it on for yourself. After you do so you will talk yourself into it!!!

I bought the Seek Lanner and the Exo 4800 to do a direct comparison. Short story is I kept the Lanner.

Long story...

Really liked both packs, very very close, and if the fit is good you couldn’t go wrong with either. I feel the Exo is a very dialed in pack, there was tons of small thoughtful details. I believe the philosophy with the Exo is its just dead simple to use once its fit to you, little to zero fiddle factor. The 4800 was noticeably smaller, if that matters.

Lanner also has a very usable layout, but with a much higher fiddle factor (not necessarily a bad thing). Plus its endlessly customizable. Waterproof factor is a nice pro, slight con is the stiffness but really doesn't affect use.

Weight between the two is different on paper....but on my scale it was a wash basically, depending which accessories you used/didn’t use (pocket, lumbar pad, lid, etc).

For me it was ultimately fit & slippage or lack there of. I could have been very happy with either but the fit under weight was ever so slightly in favor of the Seek.

Anyways, used the pack on only a couple overnighters and had plenty of room and organization. Used it also on 2 out of state hunts that ended up being almost all day hunts/truck hunts, it also worked excellent as a day pack cinched down I didnt’t have to go into the main bag often. Layers would go into the stuff mesh pocket, very handy! The two zippered outside pockets would hold gloves/beanie and the days snacks/lunch. The faux lid pocket is perfect for a dedicated place for headlamp and/or gloves.
You could easily fit tripod/spotter in the mesh pocket, but I used the large side pockets for that.

Not sure if I missed anything, but its a fantastic pack (I also own a Cimarron and plan to purchase more of their tents..)

The last downside (also a plus!) is that I don’t get to look at/research new packs any longer, I don’t see any reason until it wears out or there are some major advances in packs!

Looking forward to doing some more backpacking with it this year.

Just kind of looked into their packs. I have a couple of their shelters and I like them a lot. But I'm not familiar with their packs. I have a kifaru fulcrum that I like but some features look pretty cool on the SO system. I was specifically looking at the SO Lanner. Any advice or experience is appreciated!
2 of my buddies have kifaru and they are sold on them However I'm not . Is kifaru a good option? Absolutely! Is SO a better option? Maybe, maybe not . I was sold on a kifaru but after extensive research, discussions and talking to people I changed my mind to SO . I do not have any experience with either one though. But the SO 6300 pack and frame weighs 3.5 lbs . Thats about the same weight as the kifaru tactical frame only. Waterproof bags , an optional custom backpack and excellent customer service has led me to my decision of SO. Ill be ordering one Shortly. Most likely a custom one . Imo SO is hard to beat so Hopefully I made the right choice!

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Mesh on a hardcore backpack? Total deal breaker. Not necessary or even warranted. Just dumb. That sucks cuz I was really wanting a Seek outside pack.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Mesh on a hardcore backpack? Total deal breaker. Not necessary or even warranted. Just dumb. That sucks cuz I was really wanting a Seek outside pack.
They make them without mesh.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for your feedback. We use a very heavy duty durable mesh and have had zero issues over the years. As for usability , it rocks . So thanks for the advice, but we do not plan on changing

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
The mesh is a great spot to put wet stuff and it light weight

I purposely chose the mesh pocket on my custom bag lol i have no clue why this would be a deal breaker. Luckily as other have said, not all their packs have mesh and you can order any of them custom without it

CO-AJ

WKR
I have one of their shelters and it is top notch so I believe their packs would be the same, and would have no issue about pulling the trigger on SO equipment. I purchased my new pack last year, while I didn't go with the SO it was my #2 choice. Exo was my pick, but the SO Lanner was #2.

bozeman

WKR
I have an older BT2 shelter (excellent craftsmanship from SO) and had a Unaweep 4800 for several years....I have now switched to another pack due to the thin belt. I requested a custom belt a few times, never had time for it and then the frame started to squeak......drove me nuts. The pack carried tremendously and I am a simple guy, so one big space is all I need in a bag....but the thin belt (no chance to upgrade or change and squeaking frame).....time to move on. I do believe you will be happy with an SO pack, but unsure of the longevity as I had mine for 3 years and have now moved on. Best of luck in your search!!!