Talk me into ditching jetboil for MSR

Looking at the MSR windburner or duo. I’ve had a jetboil flash for a decade with good luck, but like the idea of a regulated burner.

I really like the windburner, but hear horror stories of them requiring a factory reset and basically going inoperable in the middle of trips.
Does anyone have any experience or insight into this?

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Used my wind burner for four years without a problem. Only gripe is that it’s heavy compared to something more basic like a pocket rocket and cup.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking at the MSR windburner or duo. I’ve had a jetboil flash for a decade with good luck, but like the idea of a regulated burner.

I really like the windburner, but hear horror stories of them requiring a factory reset and basically going inoperable in the middle of trips.
Does anyone have any experience or insight into this?
I pretty much did what you're asking...I intentionally ditched my Jetboil last summer after many years using it, and I replaced it with an MSR Windburner.

I only have two trips on the Windburner...one was a two-week remote drop hunt for moose. So far no problems at all during my early stages with it, and I do really like it. My hunting partner and I both noticed right away that it sure seemed to boil water much faster, and I did comparatively conserve on fuel. I've not missed the built-in igniter at all...there is a strand of filament that stretches across the burner face, which quickly glows to tell you when you get it lite with a lighter or match.

I'm guessing that your concern may be in reference to the thermal trip mechanism? The instruction manual explains how you can reset it in the field very easily if necessary without any tools. I had no problems with it. and no resets required. Actually seems like a good safety feature that the Jetboil didn't have. Regardless, I always have an MSR Pocket-rocket with me as a back-up...even during the Jetboil years.

Scrappy

WKR
I pretty much did what you're asking...I intentionally ditched my Jetboil last summer after many years using it, and I replaced it with an MSR Windburner.

I only have two trips on the Windburner...one was a two-week remote drop hunt for moose. So far no problems at all during my early stages with it, and I do really like it. My hunting partner and I both noticed right away that it sure seemed to boil water much faster, and I did comparatively conserve on fuel. I've not missed the built-in igniter at all...there is a strand of filament that stretches across the burner face, which quickly glows to tell you when you get it lite with a lighter or match.

I'm guessing that your concern may be in reference to the thermal trip mechanism? The instruction manual explains how you can reset it in the field very easily if necessary without any tools. I had no problems with it. and no resets required. Actually seems like a good safety feature that the Jetboil didn't have. Regardless, I always have an MSR Pocket-rocket with me as a back-up...even during the Jetboil years.
I'm like you in switching to a wind burner. Thanks for the info on the reset. I googled the instructions.

As far as a difference in the two stoves I don't really feel I gained anything other than the piece of mind. Even though my Jetboil has never given me a lick of trouble all the chatter on the forums caused me to to switch. I'll have both in the vehicle on all my trips so that I'll always have a back-up.
Screenshot_20210121-054620_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210121-054634_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
look at the relatively new Pocket Rocket Deluxe- it's like a miniature blow torch, but the biggest feature is it's a regulated stove- much better performance in cold weather over a stove that isn't (ie regular Pocket Rocket)

it's also small and light

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Taggging in. I always hear of people having issues with JB but I’ve got a few of them all quite old modes amd they haven’t given me one single issue. BUT, I am always interested in what to get IF there happens to be a failure.

BDWMT

FNG
Hunting partner brought the MSR on a drop AK moose hunt and it tripped out on day 8 of 10. Cooked over an open fire for the last 2 days not knowing how to reset. Since that trip I learned the simple reset operation and have bought one for myself. Besides that trip it had worked flawlessly to feed 3 hunters on a caribou hunt and several elk hunts. My Jetboil hasn’t left the garage since I purchased the Windburner.

OP
Gunnersdad49
It looks like it is the Reactor, not the windburner that has to be sent in to the factory for reset. "Stove contains a device that will render it permanently inoperable if detrimental overheating occurs. Stove is not field-maintainable. If stove becomes inoperable, immediately discontinue use and return stove to an authorized MSR dealer. Attempting to circumvent and/or reset inoperable stove is an unsafe practice that can cause fire, burns, severe injury or death."

OP
Gunnersdad49
Just because I'm trying to be thorough, I emailed MSR as well. They said "The Thermal Trip Mechanism is a safety feature on the WindBurner Personal stove (the remote canister windburner duo does not have this) to prevent overheating of the canister. This can be re-set in the field after waiting for the unit to cool down." and shared the same photos as Scrappy found.

So to summarize,
The Reactor is the one that has to be sent in to reset.
The WindBurner can be reset in the field
The WindBurner Duo doesn't have this shutoff feature, because the cannister is remote instead of under the burner.

boom

WKR
i need to get a MSR stove. my JetB left me sipping tepid coffee on a snowy mountain top with a bunch of nurses. total fail. we did a sunrise hike and everyone wanted coffee. hero to zero with the failed stove. hahha..

I would never try to talk you out of your Jetboil. I've had mine way too long without a hiccup to suggest such a thing. Apparently, so have you. Yet, you're looking to switch to a piece of gear that you've heard horror stories about?

Last edited:

Mudd Foot

WKR
Here’s my $.02: 15.43 oz. including 4oz fuel canister. Never had or heard first-hand of any issues with MSR. My stove is the Pocket Rocket 2. Boils water is 2 minutes. If you want lightweight fool-proof, try a Caldera Cone.

7d23616953168e30d0bc29a33dfefdc6.jpg

05441bb2ed06df52e2e3247022a2d01c.jpg

fcad6b996d4e6b1788ec00f50bf40b97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearsears

WKR
Here’s my $.02: 15.43 oz. including 4oz fuel canister. Never had or heard first-hand of any issues with MSR. My stove is the Pocket Rocket 2. Boils water is 2 minutes. If you want lightweight fool-proof, try a Caldera Cone.

7d23616953168e30d0bc29a33dfefdc6.jpg

05441bb2ed06df52e2e3247022a2d01c.jpg

fcad6b996d4e6b1788ec00f50bf40b97.jpg

THis is my exact setup also. Did you make that windscreen if not where did you get it? Any worry about heating the fuel can?

Mudd Foot

WKR
d4f883501e57f2eb6f357a8218775ccd.jpg

Made the windscreen 10+ years ago out of duct available from HD. Originally built for my alcohol stoves. Am not concerned for two reasons: 1. The height of the windscreen is 1.5” below the burner, and 2. The holes at the bottom.

If anything it is designed to prevent the stove from being blown over more than minimizing wind effect on burner.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've used the basic stoves for a long while before moving to jet boil. I had a jet boil flash that did not want to work in tne rain once. It worked fine after the trip and never gave me issues aside from that one trip, but that was it for that unit, I moved on. Used a windburner from MSR for years, no issues at all, good stove. Does weight a lot like folks have mentioned.

Pocket rocket deluxe has the pressure regulator assembly to keep good burning rate in colder temps just like the windburner. Pair that with a Ti mug and you have a pretty light system, IF you are willing to go away from an all-in one setup. It boils fast and has a raised burner face to protect the flame from the wind a bit. Something to consider.

How's this for a reason. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here was my Jetboil Sumo stove.

Jetboil on fire.jpg

Meanwhile, I have used the MSR Windburner and the Reactor. They both have worked absolutely flawlessly for years and years. I would never switch to another stove personally, so happy am I with MSR.

How's this for a reason. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here was my Jetboil Sumo stove.

View attachment 255863

Meanwhile, I have used the MSR Windburner and the Reactor. They both have worked absolutely flawlessly for years and years. I would never switch to another stove personally, so happy am I with MSR.
Fire in the hole 🕳

Ive been using the pocket rocket since 2012 and never looked back. wind screen from foil and good to go

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffmacdonald77