Talk me into ditching jetboil for MSR

topher89

WKR
Ran a Windburner for the last 9 months. It feels like a more solid, more reliable and better Jetboil. No problems and just fast boiling. I am always surprised by how fast my water is boiling.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two years of heavy use on a Windburner and have had zero issues. It seems boil times are similar to a jetboil until the temperatures drop. It's in the cold and windy conditions where the MSR will shine. I love the stove and pack it almost everywhere; even on day hunts.

OP
Gunnersdad49
First impressions on the Windburner after 3 days of use by myself and one other knucklehead:

It's fast. About a full minute faster than the Jetboil

It's a freaking torch. Wide open throttle on the Jetboil will lead to a rolling boil eventually. Wide open throttle on the Windburner will lead to a lava-like eruption of gigantic roiling water.

Knucklehead #2 said "this thing doesn't have an igniter? that's stupid"

You can't light the burner with the pot mounted onto the stove already.

Windburner is an ounce or two heavier than the Jetboil

Windburner hot pad/coozie thing isn't very good. The pot gets almost too hot to hold, even with the handle.

I can't speak to the fuel efficiency yet, but I can imagine that the Windburner uses more fuel per minute. It's saving grace would be needing fewer minutes to boil water.

Summary: At this point I see pro's and con's to each system. I don't see enough pro's to the MSR system to throw the Jetboil away, but if making an initial purchase, I would probably lean toward the MSR.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
First impressions on the Windburner after 3 days of use by myself and one other knucklehead:

It's fast. About a full minute faster than the Jetboil

It's a freaking torch. Wide open throttle on the Jetboil will lead to a rolling boil eventually. Wide open throttle on the Windburner will lead to a lava-like eruption of gigantic roiling water.

Knucklehead #2 said "this thing doesn't have an igniter? that's stupid"

You can't light the burner with the pot mounted onto the stove already.

Windburner is an ounce or two heavier than the Jetboil

Windburner hot pad/coozie thing isn't very good. The pot gets almost too hot to hold, even with the handle.

I can't speak to the fuel efficiency yet, but I can imagine that the Windburner uses more fuel per minute. It's saving grace would be needing fewer minutes to boil water.

Summary: At this point I see pro's and con's to each system. I don't see enough pro's to the MSR system to throw the Jetboil away, but if making an initial purchase, I would probably lean toward the MSR.
Interesting...thank you for sharing your initial reactions...and I liked your sense of humor! We all have different situational needs and personal preferences, and that's great.

In my early mileage thus far (just one season as already noted) with the MSR WIndburner, it is my hands-down favorite over many years with two successive Jetboils...the igniter went out on my first one.

The clear winning factors for me: The Windburner has an adjustable flame; it works way better in colder Alaskan wx; it has a thermal trip safety mechanism so it won't accidently catch on fire (and...as noted earlier...the trip safety can be easily reset in the field without any tools); it boils water faster, and when a wind factor is present it boils water way faster...
MSR Windburner vs JetBoil Flash (SURPRISING RESULTS!!) - Boil Testing and WIND Testing - YouTube

...and then add that it's made in the USA (Jetboil is made in...you guessed it).

Again, we all have different situational needs and preferences, which is absolutely ok.

For me, I gladly take the extra ounce or so and igniting the Windburner with a match or lighter...which I always had with me anyway, anticipating the igniter to eventually go out on my second Jetboil.

Last edited:
OP
Gunnersdad49
I didn't even give lighting it with a lighter a second thought. My Jetboil ignitor worked for about the first 3 months, then I limped it along, constantly fiddling with it for a few more, then have just lit it with a Bic ever since. I only mention that because that was his unbiased first impression.

I've got a few more months before I pack for Alaska, but I think the MSR will get the nod over the Jetboil.

I switched from jet boil micromo to an msr windburner this year. Msr is built a little more heavy duty, though I will miss the igniter on the jet boil. Never heard of anyone melting down an msr, heard many times of jet boils self destructing when melting snow for water.

I just had to replace my Jetboil Flash after ten years. The valve locked up on me. I had every intention of getting the MSR Windburner (for reasons pointed out in this thread) until I realized it didn't have an ignite button. I love that feature. I've never had any problems with the auto ignite. I do keep a lighter handy, just not as handy as that little button.

Wrench

WKR
I have had a piezo primus stove since the 90s. I have an easy dozen different stoves. If wind is probable ill take the msr no question. If not, I shag weight and go ti cup brs/Soto/PR....ETC.

BBob

WKR
Not to mention Jetboil is anti hunting
I keep seeing this but I have never seen proof. I'm not defending them I just want to see proof but no one comes up with any and it seems to end up being inuendo. MSR I believe is a better company with better products (I've been using them for decades) but I don't see bashing a Co for no evidence. Do you imply because of their marketing and employee makeup that they must be anti? I'm around a lot of the types of people that you might lump in with the Johnson outdoors group. Not that long ago they would likely be anti but with the clean meat movement and people like me that talk to them have swayed many to embrace hunting. I've taken a few of them on their first hunts, helped them harvest animals and they are now total coverts. I think labeling people without proof isn't helpfull at all.

OP
Gunnersdad49
I keep seeing this but I have never seen proof. I'm not defending them I just want to see proof but no one comes up with any and it seems to end up being inuendo. MSR I believe is a better company with better products (I've been using them for decades) but I don't see bashing a Co for no evidence. Do you imply because of their marketing and employee makeup that they must be anti? I'm around a lot of the types of people that you might lump in with the Johnson outdoors group. Not that long ago they would likely be anti but with the clean meat movement and people like me that talk to them have swayed many to embrace hunting. I've taken a few of them on their first hunts, helped them harvest animals and they are now total coverts. I think labeling people without proof isn't helpfull at all.
I, too, I had heard this quite a bit. We could not find anything in writing anywhere. So I emailed Johnson outdoors and they sent a very polite email back that definitely states that they are not against hunting. I copy and pasted the body of the email into another similar thread here on Rokslide. I am still willing to admit if I am mistaken. I just have not seen anything in writing that I would consider a statement against hunters.