Talk me into or out of kowa spotter, 554 vs 773 vs 883

Best kowa spotter to do it all/all around spotter size/model

Votes: 13 9.8%

Votes: 79 59.8%

Votes: 40 30.3%

• Total voters

ZackP

WKR
Although I haven’t looked through or used an 88, I have no desire to. The 773 fits the bill perfectly. Light enough to pack everywhere, and the glass is phenomenal(to my eyes).
It’s also usable up to 60x and the eye piece is the best I’ve used.

I came from a 65 ATS HD to the 773 and I have no regrets what so ever. I’ll be packing this thing around until they drop a flourite 66.

Agree with all pointing out the 553/883 are most suitable for different purposes. Once folks accept that it really comes down to which best supports their style the hunting. The 553 has obvious advantages if one wants to remain highly-mobile and will be using the scope to better verify something already found in binoculars - but I can foresee many hunting situations where a 45x scope is necessary to verify age/trophy quality that a 15x binocular would struggle to be certain. But for serious scouring from a high point to adjoining ridges looking for and aging sheep there is just no substitute for the biggest/best scope one can pack.

BTW - There’s no law against owning both a 553 & 883; and I seriously doubt anyone who‘s done a lot of long-distance glassing across many types of hunts would look down their noses at it.

Last edited:

S.Clancy

WKR
My buddy has a 553. It's a really nice scope, but I would much rather have my Meopta S2. I would personally choose the 883 if you like Kowa glass.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Although I haven’t looked through or used an 88, I have no desire to. The 773 fits the bill perfectly. Light enough to pack everywhere, and the glass is phenomenal(to my eyes).
It’s also usable up to 60x and the eye piece is the best I’ve used.

I came from a 65 ATS HD to the 773 and I have no regrets what so ever. I’ll be packing this thing around until they drop a flourite 66.

Don’t look through the 883 unless you have the money to buy it. I have the 55, 77, 88, and 99.

The 77 is a great value albeit at the expense of no fluorite glass. Still a great spotter but the 88 is simply on another level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZackP

WKR
Don’t look through the 883 unless you have the money to buy it. I have the 55, 77, 88, and 99.

The 77 is a great value albeit at the expense of no fluorite glass. Still a great spotter but the 88 is simply on another level.

I don’t doubt that one bit. I’ve read some amazing things on the 88.

The 77 ticks all my personal boxes. I’ll pay the weight penalty to pack the 773 over an ATS 65 because I do feel it is that much better. I never pull a spotter out from the truck, which is what the 88 would be used for in my Arsenal, so that will keep me from ever buying one, as I just wouldn’t want to pack it for miles!

That 77 is just light and surprisingly compact enough, to come with me every single time.

AK86

FNG
So I haven’t seen one important thing listed, I can def help here...I have both the 77 and 88...I will be selling my 77.

The 88 has fluorite glass, the 77 does not. The 88 is simply on another level than the 77. No question. The $600 is WELL worth it IMO. Depends how much you spend behind it to justify it or not. For me? I’d do it again in a heartbeat. 88 for life.

Get the 1.5 extender too, that thing is incredibly beneficial. Love my Kowa. Love love love it.

Here’s a fun example of what the extender paired with the 88mm is capable of. 14” diameter steel plate. 500 yards.

2d72768610b2423303c60780a2d6d713.jpg

Where you at in AK? I find myself in this same predicament. Any chance you want to show off both your 77 & 88 if we're close by each other?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Im in SE. But I sold my 77 a few weeks back! Sorry!!

BSimmons

FNG
I've owned the 55, 77 and 88. If you're trying to save money and don't do a lot of digiscoping I'd go with the 77mm. If your budget allows I'd do an 88 and 55 and then choose which to use on the basis of how far you're going to walk. 10lbs for the 88, tripod and head vs. 5 lbs with the 55, tripod and head.

Rick M.

WKR
I've got one up for sale now in the optics classifieds if anyone is interested.

Thank you to everyone that has weighed-in on this discussion! I'm looking at Kowa for my first spotter and can find reasons to get each one. I think i'll be picking up the 773 based on my personal needs (budget, species, and size/weight). Hope I don't regret missing out on the pure fluorite glass, but I'm not sure I can appreciate the difference for the additional $$$.

What are people's thoughts and experiences on the Kowa stay-on cases? Worth the extra money and weight? I'm not adverse to the cold, but thinking about it more for protection.

I've got one up for sale now in the optics classifieds if anyone is interested.
I'm interested! I live in Vancouver, BC; so we'd need to figure that piece out. Sorry, can't PM yet, but let's see if we can connect.

Rick M.

WKR
I'm interested! I live in Vancouver, BC; so we'd need to figure that piece out. Sorry, can't PM yet, but let's see if we can connect.
Welcome to the forum! See if you can reply in the classified thread above. We can definitely figure something out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, fellas!

tdhanses

WKR
Thank you to everyone that has weighed-in on this discussion! I'm looking at Kowa for my first spotter and can find reasons to get each one. I think i'll be picking up the 773 based on my personal needs (budget, species, and size/weight). Hope I don't regret missing out on the pure fluorite glass, but I'm not sure I can appreciate the difference for the additional $$$.

What are people's thoughts and experiences on the Kowa stay-on cases? Worth the extra money and weight? I'm not adverse to the cold, but thinking about it more for protection.
It’s not perfect but better then nothing, personally i’d get the phone skope neoprene for the swaro atx/stx 65, it fits the 773 perfect.

Wanted to bring this back up. I’m looking at the 773/4 and the 883/4. I’ve found good deals for both at $1950 and $2500, both with the TE-11WZ eyepiece. Is the extra $550 worth the step up to the 883/4?
I’d spend the money to get the 88x. The fluorite glass is damn nice. You’d also know that you have arguably the best spotter (toss up with the ATX/STX).

as.ks.ak

WKR
Wanted to bring this back up. I’m looking at the 773/4 and the 883/4. I’ve found good deals for both at $1950 and $2500, both with the TE-11WZ eyepiece. Is the extra $550 worth the step up to the 883/4?

Get the 88. I have had both and can tell you the flourite glass is considerably better. At least to my eyes.

BluMtn

WKR
Most definitely. The 77's are good, but the 88's are better with the Fluorite glass.