Talk me into or out of kowa spotter, 554 vs 773 vs 883

Best kowa spotter to do it all/all around spotter size/model

Votes: 13 9.8%

Votes: 79 59.8%

Votes: 40 30.3%

• Total voters
lot of great information here. I'm also on the fence between a 553/773. According to a couple comments here, there's talks of a flourite 66 being unveiled in the future. Would anyone happen to have any more details on this? Maybe it'd be worth a guy waiting for this to be unveiled if it's going to be before the '22 season.

I’ve learned that it’s no good waiting for a product that hasn’t even been announced, especially in these times of production and supply issues.

I’d recommend the KEX System, which is Kowa’s answer to Swaros ATX.
You buy the 55 and the 77.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see the 66x coming out in fluorite any time soon as it would cannibalize sales especially on the 77x.

There's not THAT much of a size difference among the models; just weight. From the Rokslide review of the Kowa 99"
6-Size-Comparison.jpg

Here you can see the TSN-99 (2nd from the right) next to a Swarovski ATX-95 on the right, and TSN’s 88, 77, and 55 on the left in descending order.

My 554 is not much smaller (dimensions) than my STX 65 but is half the weight. We tend to focus too much on weight and not necessarily on pack space. which can also be important.

Reactions: WRM

WKR
Trying out a new 884 this weekend a bit. Looking forward to seeing what it offers. My sheep hunt will be mostly out and back hikes with some overnights. It'll see most of its use on the plains after that and weight is of no concern there.

dwhicker

FNG
Looks like you have plenty of responses already but I will give my two cents having owned and used most of the premium spotters including those you have mentioned. To my eye the 88 kowa is optically the best of any 80-mm class spotter. The optical advantage may be somewhat small but it was the winner over the 85 atx and leica 82 when comparing them side by side at dusk and resolving dead branches at 5 miles. My only complaint is that the kowa suffers from a cold, unprotected metal housing (but this can be solved with some non-stick camo tape). Brightness, color, CA, edge clarity, etc, are all are all absolutely excellent on the kowa. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on the new 99.

I have not owned the 77 kowa but the weight difference between the 77 and 88 isn't enough to downgrade, in my opinion. Plus, by downgrading to the 77 you will loose the pure flourite lense found in the 88. Additionally, if you ever use kowas 1.6x extender, you will need the largest objective possible. The kowa 55 is great for the small size, best in class by far, but a quality 65mm scope will significantly outfperform and is well worth the extra weight. I personally find myself grabbing my 65mm swaro hd spotter 95% of the time I may be packing the weight around. If weight is of no concern I would go with the 88 kowa.

A kowa rep has mentioned that a new pure flourite 66mm spotter is in the pipeline. If so I can almost guarantee it will be the new top performer in the size class but kowa took soooo long releasing the new 99 that I would bet it will be at least a year or more before any more details are made public.
Did you ever get the 99? If so how would you compare it to the 88? I’m really debating between the two.

dwhicker

FNG
Don’t look through the 883 unless you have the money to buy it. I have the 55, 77, 88, and 99.

The 77 is a great value albeit at the expense of no fluorite glass. Still a great spotter but the 88 is simply on another level.

How would you compare the 88 and the 99? I’m really debating between the two of them and any input is greatly appreciated!

BluMtn

WKR
I have a 99S and really like it. I carry mine in my pack during my Montana mulie hunts. Makes for some nice viewing when sitting on a knoll and spotting deer in their beds sometimes 2 mile away. The rest of the time I use it road viewing for animals. It is big, but to me well worth the size and weight for the view. I had an 884 first, but somebody wanted it more than I did and I had to replace it.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ever get the 99? If so how would you compare it to the 88? I’m really debating between the two.
I have the 99 now, along with a 65 sts hd swaro. The 99 is the best spotter I have ever looked through. I also have the extender, but even with a giant objective, conditions need to be right to be able to use 112X with the extender on. I sold the 88 before I could compare them side by side.

as.ks.ak

WKR
9f976be849c8c79ff2e826bafb2ab9fe.jpg

346bc3725415e42ef2f52ff0945afe1f.jpg

Big fan of the 88mm here. Had the 77mm, upgraded to the 88mm. Would I like the 99mm? I’m sure I would. But the 88mm is just small enough I’ll carry it anywhere. Super happy with it…if I ever look through a 99mm though…

dwhicker

FNG
9f976be849c8c79ff2e826bafb2ab9fe.jpg

346bc3725415e42ef2f52ff0945afe1f.jpg

Big fan of the 88mm here. Had the 77mm, upgraded to the 88mm. Would I like the 99mm? I’m sure I would. But the 88mm is just small enough I’ll carry it anywhere. Super happy with it…if I ever look through a 99mm though…

Those pics are wild! I’m hoping to draw a Utah Archery goat tag this fall!

westco24

FNG
Thanks for getting this thread going again. I currently have 10X RF binos, Zeiss conquest HD 15X, an old nikon ed50, and a Kowa 664M. When you look at weight-it's always easy to bring a 34 oz bino, and 20-28 oz spotter makes sense. Once I got the 46 oz 15X binos I never want to leave them behind. I see the benefit of an incredible spotter and am also stuck on fence getting a 77 or 88. I've noticed how small the glass diameter is on the eyepiece of my small spotters (and a magview doesn't fit). Can someone educate me on how much better the larger diameter eyepieces are? Is that why it makes a better glassing experience for a longer time-less eye fatigue and easier to use the larger FOV? And I guess why some guys don't love the 553?

Thanks for getting this thread going again. I currently have 10X RF binos, Zeiss conquest HD 15X, an old nikon ed50, and a Kowa 664M. When you look at weight-it's always easy to bring a 34 oz bino, and 20-28 oz spotter makes sense. Once I got the 46 oz 15X binos I never want to leave them behind. I see the benefit of an incredible spotter and am also stuck on fence getting a 77 or 88. I've noticed how small the glass diameter is on the eyepiece of my small spotters (and a magview doesn't fit). Can someone educate me on how much better the larger diameter eyepieces are? Is that why it makes a better glassing experience for a longer time-less eye fatigue and easier to use the larger FOV? And I guess why some guys don't love the 553?
A lot comes down to intended use.

On my 55x, I only use it (and also my STX 65/95) for confirmations and not for glassing. So any "narrow view" issues (real or perceived) are immaterial for me. However, it someone uses their spotting scope for glassing it could be an issue; reality is it won't take that much longer glass a hill side.

My personal experience on eye fatigue: it is clarity that determines how long I stay in the glass rather than anything else. I can put my old 8x Viper HDs on a tripod and glass. But it sucks and I won't glass long. However, I can do my SLC 10s or 15s and see no noticeable difference in glass time. I don't glass with my spotters (STX 65/95, Kowa 554) but I never have pulled my head away due to headaches, fatigue, etc.

As far as 77x vs 88x, we tend to over-fixate on weight and not volume. The item below is from the Rokslide review on the 99x. While the weight in higher, the total volume (think pack space) is not that much more when looking at the 88x vs the 77x. You also have to remember that Rokslide members get awfully frugal on their optics and do make compromises (unlike the multiple custom rifles and gold-plated scopes in their safes). For a chunk of last year it was nothing to get the 88x for a couple of hundred more than the 77x with just a bit of leg work.

6-Size-Comparison.jpg
Here you can see the TSN-99 (2nd from the right) next to a Swarovski ATX-95 on the right, and TSN’s 88, 77, and 55 on the left in descending order.

dwhicker

FNG

On my 55x, I only use it (and also my STX 65/95) for confirmations and not for glassing. So any "narrow view" issues (real or perceived) are immaterial for me. However, it someone uses their spotting scope for glassing it could be an issue; reality is it won't take that much longer glass a hill side.

My personal experience on eye fatigue: it is clarity that determines how long I stay in the glass rather than anything else. I can put my old 8x Viper HDs on a tripod and glass. But it sucks and I won't glass long. However, I can do my SLC 10s or 15s and see no noticeable difference in glass time. I don't glass with my spotters (STX 65/95, Kowa 554) but I never have pulled my head away due to headaches, fatigue, etc.

As far as 77x vs 88x, we tend to over-fixate on weight and not volume. The item below is from the Rokslide review on the 99x. While the weight in higher, the total volume (think pack space) is not that much more when looking at the 88x vs the 77x. You also have to remember that Rokslide members get awfully frugal on their optics and do make compromises (unlike the multiple custom rifles and gold-plated scopes in their safes). For a chunk of last year it was nothing to get the 88x for a couple of hundred more than the 77x with just a bit of leg work.

6-Size-Comparison.jpg

That picture makes the 99 considerably bigger eh? Wow

WyoKid

WKR

6-Size-Comparison.jpg

I agree with AZ hunter. I have the 55 but don't use it to glass. It is used for confirmation and a closer look. I like the 55 for weight and size. But when I anticipate long glassing sessions it is either 10x or 12x. I have some 15x but they tend to be used only when hunting desert and open country.

gearguywb

WKR
Just read through the 5 pages here. Great info. Looking at the pic, it sure looks like the 77 is a fair amount smaller than the 88