Talk me into the DT2

First off wanted to say hi. i have been on here for a while reading just haven't posted anything. Great forum!! Im looking into a new pack and like the dt2, heard nothing but good things about them. i have a hard time spending that much dough on a pack but you get what you pay for. i would use it for mostly 3-5 day hunts. being 5'6" and a torso lengh about 18" would i get the 24" frame. Thanks

cmeier117

WKR
First off welcome to Rokslide!!! I have a Timberline 2 and just received a Duplex timberline 2 as well. I would tell you that the DT2 will be perfect for what you are wanting. Being 5' 6" and an 18 inch torso the 24 inch frame will work well for you. I am 5'11" and have a 19 inch torso and the 26 inch frame is plenty high for me even with 120 lbs in the pack. You can always adjust the angle of the load lifter so both frames would work the same for you but I wouldn't want the frame sticking up that high above my head personally if I were you. The DT2 can be had for $627 and although it is twice what a eberlestock pack it or something similar it is 10 times the pack. It would be the best investment you will have ever made and Kifaru has the best customer service and will take care of you for the life of the pack. I would highly recommend the DT2 pack and I promise you will not be disappointed. I will have a video up shortly showing the difference between the DT2 and TImberline 2, but take my word it is awesome and will last you for a lifetime. Comfort level is heads and shoulders above the rest.

There talk you into yet... ;) Everyone else that has experience with it will say the same thing too...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I will do one better. Get a DT1. I have a T2 and wish I had a DT1. It can do everything a DT2 can, plus hold more if you need it. With a minimal weight gain.

littlebuf

Banned
i would talk you into a T1. but thats just me. huge pack that you can make small (smaller packs cant get bigger) and lighter than the DT series (but im an ounce counter) if you cant haul it in a T1 (see some of luke moffits pics on here) than you probably cant haul it. thought id help muddy the waters..

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought a T2, nice pack, but I sold it and bought a T1 for more versatility. You can go big or small depending on the hunt.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
cmeier117 summed it up.....If that doesn't talk you into it, I would suggest buying a Badlands. Then you will sell it after first trip and buy a Blacks Creek with same result. Then buy an Eberlestock and you guessed it, same scenario. Buy Kifaru first and you won't go through the trial and error many of us have done ten times over for you. In the long run you will actually save money.

Chris D

FNG
I agree with rosinbag....b/c I had to go through the "learning curve". I bought a Eberlestock, used it in Alaska, worked OK. Sold it, bought a Timberline 5200. The kifaru is 10X the pack. Buy the Kifaru and save yourself the trouble and pain of a lesser pack.

chris <><

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
Get the DT2, I just received mine last week and love it! Loaded it up, and did six miles with it and it felt great, really carries a load well. My Badlands 4500 folded up on me 5 weeks ago, wound up carrying all the weight on my shoulders, and I decided to pull the trigger on the DT2, money well spent, and it arrived only one day after the promised ship date!

OP
300Weatherby
sounds like i will be ordering the pack then. you guys did a fine job! do they take the money from your account when you order the pack or when it ships?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Brother,

I'm heading out for another hunt, but if you want to give me a call today and chat about the pack...fee free.

720-937-1418

I've used all of them and may be able to give you some ideas on what attachments you may want and others you won't need.

Best,

Aron

OP
300Weatherby
Thanks for talking to me Aron.
Well you guys talked me into it. i just placed my order. i ended up going with that DT2, i was really considering DT1. my old pack is right around 4500ci so the DT2 will still be bigger. im going to order some side pockets before next season.
Thanks for talking me into it. it will be a great pack, now its a waiting game.

sk1

WKR
I'm thinking about the kuiu 5000 might order one today....having a hard time choosing between that and the dt2 although I'm sure both are great

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would order the one you want most and test it out.... if it is not what you hopes it would be, then send it back and get the other:)

You'll be out shipping, but that's better then wondering "what if" for the next few years, especially after dropping $600-900!

I'll be around tonight, but leaving early in the AM... if you have any question, feel free to call.

720-937-1418

NEhunter

WKR
Thanks for talking to me Aron.
Well you guys talked me into it. i just placed my order. i ended up going with that DT2, i was really considering DT1. my old pack is right around 4500ci so the DT2 will still be bigger. im going to order some side pockets before next season.
Thanks for talking me into it. it will be a great pack, now its a waiting game.

Talked me into one to. Actually been kicking around the idea for a bit but just pulled the trigger this afternoon. Now, the long wait.:D

sk1

WKR
i might kick myself, but im probably going to give the kuiu a shot and see what happens.....didn't have time to call aron today and see how he feels about it, but i have been leaning the kuiu way for awhile now, even though kifaru is proven and for all i know kuiu will have another new model next year to fix maybe any undesirable things discovered from this years model

I went to kuiu and looked at the new pack. I'm lucky they are pretty close. It looks like a great pack but I had troubles with the" this is new this year", "this is where the plastic broke last year"" we fixed things". They might have got it right. Decided to buy a T1. Jury is out but am happy now. Did pick up some merino though :)

i might kick myself, but im probably going to give the kuiu a shot and see what happens.....didn't have time to call aron today and see how he feels about it, but i have been leaning the kuiu way for awhile now, even though kifaru is proven and for all i know kuiu will have another new model next year to fix maybe any undesirable things discovered from this years model

Honestly its not a bad decision! I ordered my T1 before the new KUIU models were announced but even then it was a tough decision!
If the stone glacier packs had been out for a little while more it would've been tough for me pass up for the kifaru... love the pack body arrangement on them just not sure if the suspension is up to snuff yet!

Mike

sk1

WKR
so i had all the goodies in my KUIU cart, and about to order....then started to rethink my decision....I read some negative posts about the lumbar pad really causing issues for some guys, others love it, and some say it needs a break in period. Now I may still try it, but it was enough to hold me off a few days to think about it.

I need to jump in on this post, because to go to a DT2, i need someone to really explain things to me and talk me into it as well.

So, the kifaru website is very poorly organized so IMO it's hard to truly learn about their products, maybe im just slow, but that's how it appears to me everytime i flip through their page. I may need to wait til Aron is done hunting and talk with him, although I am sure many of you are very familiar with this product as well.

DT2 bag layout - what is it? Is it just a top lid (if you get the standard) and a bag? I personally love side pockets for spotting scope etc, my understanding is you can add this stuff from their accessories as well for more $ and weight....then the hip pockets, like having those as well, an additional add on if they sell them which if i remember right they do. then if you get the xtl lid, more weight. also if you get the load sling and carry it in, again more weight. If you're not getting it, I am a little confused, i guess to get the pocket layout i prefer, it seems like i just keep piling on the weight and I thought Kifaru packs are generally pretty light....it feels like if i get the addons i want, im practically buying a Mystery Ranch pack.

duplex with composite stays - 3lbs 12oz (and im not sure if that is the 24 inch or 26, i need the 26)
T2 bag - 2lbs 9oz
xtl lid - 15oz
cargo panel - 1lb 9.5oz
belt pouch medium x 2 - 6oz
side pockets if not part of T2 bag - looks like 8oz x 2 - 16oz

if my quick math is right that puts me at 10lbs 3.5oz

am i missing something here?? am i being too picky about the accessories i prefer for trying to keep somewhat reasonable weight, or is it just that darn comfortable and reliable it's worth it? i didnt look at the price but im sure that stuff puts me around $1000

now i am no KUIU expert either, but from quick thought here, their pack has the side pockets i like, add 2 hip pockets i dont know around 4-6oz, has a top lid compartment, and then the main bag......however it lacks the versitility of kifaru as far as adding pockets and more space, and is a new yet to be truly proven pack....but does come in under 7lbs, and if i remember right they now made it so it pulls away from the frame to use as a meat hauler (maybe this is possible with kifaru and not need the cargo panel, not sure)

so there it is, can anyone talk me into it? or am i just way off base on my thinking? im not trying to knock down kifaru, just when i started looking at all my options it didnt sound as good as i thought it was going to....at the same time neither is the idea of an unproven kuiu.

i currently have the TZ6000 which i was pretty darn impressed with, but am still looking to see if i can find something high end that truly outshines it, and my understanding is something like kifaru, kuiu, and mr would be the big 3 to choose from

help?

lol

Wait and call aron when he his back from hunting, he will explain everything you could ever want to know. He knows all the models of packs pretty well and will tell you what is good and bad about them from an honest and expierenced point of view. I like the T2 the best becasue its all the pack I'll need. If I need the ability to switch bags then I would look at the duplex series, but for me the t2 does it all.