Talk me out of 300 WSM

Please talk me out of getting into an out of fashion cartridge - the 300 WSM. Staring at ballistic tables and availability for projectiles and comparing both to my 7mm08, I think that the 300 WSM is the perfect fit for my desired application - hunting Elk in Idaho.
Looking to get something a bit bigger but really don't want to get into the belted magnums as a hand loader. Also think the Nosler cartridges are a bit overbore, and don't have any desire for long range target shooting so dont see reason to get into the PRC's.
Said ballistic tables look like they can send 168 monometals fast enough to keep 2-2.2k FPS and 1500+ ft lbs of energy at 500 yards out of a 24".
I already have some powders that should work (Ramshot Big Game) and plenty of LRMP.

The cons - brass is expensive as !*#& and it's not even Lapua. New rifles are not commonly chambered in it anymore.

Is this a dead horse to hitch to?

bdan68

WKR
I seriously can't think of a better cartridge, other than maybe the 30/06. And I don't have a 300 WSM and never have. I've hunted with a 270 Winchester most of my life, then later ended up with two 30/06 rifles, and also a 338 Win. Mag. But if I were to buy a new rifle I just might choose the 300 WSM.

Last edited:
If you are going to shoot 168’s out to 500 yards, buy a 308. If you are going to extend beyond 500, go PRC. Honestly, the 300 PRC is likely going to be my next rifle. Its a sweet round that will have a lot of support moving forward.

As long as I live in a free state, I won’t shoot monos. I don’t see the point, and I think other bullets kill better and faster. So, I am not much help there…

OP
H
If you are going to shoot 168’s out to 500 yards, buy a 308. If you are going to extend beyond 500, go PRC. Honestly, the 300 PRC is likely going to be my next rifle. Its a sweet round that will have a lot of support moving forward.
Would a 308 keep 2-2.2K FPS and 1500 ft lbs of energy with a 168 monometal at 500 yards? Strictly hunting application so terminal ballistics are critical.

jimh406

WKR
I recently bought a 300 WSM. There are plenty of rifles made for the caliber. Norma makes rounds for it and the brass is supposed to be good. I plan to hunt with the Norma 180 Bondstrikes assuming it is accurate enough. For me, it was to have something a bit lighter and still good power.

I also wanted a threaded barrel. I like my 300 WBY, but currently not threaded. I really hate to take a chance on messing it up. I expect the kick will be similar since the new gun is lighter with a suppressor or brake lowering it. I didn't "need" a different rifle and will keep both.

I can't really talk you out of it too much. There are a lot of really good 30 caliber bullets for Elk. You can do a lot worse than a 300 WSM.

It’s a great versatile round. I killed many elk with it and a 168 TTSX at 3150 fps mv. Works way better than a 308 win.

The only thing as with all short fat cartridges is the feeding. That was more of an issue with older rifles, particularly Rem 700. If you have the choice get a center feed.

grifmXC

FNG
Would a 308 keep 2-2.2K FPS and 1500 ft lbs of energy with a 168 monometal at 500 yards? Strictly hunting application so terminal ballistics are critical.

With the right 308 you could get right there but you’d be pushing it to the max. I think a 30-06 would be a better choice. I just worked up a load with 168ttsx and staball 6.5 I’m right at hodgdons max load and just a little over 2900fps mv. Using JBMs calculator at 7000ft at 500ys it’s still moving over 2100fps and 1675ft lbs. I’d have to go back and look at my data but from memory, the best I could get out of my m70 featherweight (22in barrel) in 308 was just over 2800fps before I hit pressure.

-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
It’s a great versatile round. I killed many elk with it and a 168 TTSX at 3150 fps mv. Works way better than a 308 win.

The only thing as with all short fat cartridges is the feeding. That was more of an issue with older rifles, particularly Rem 700. If you have the choice get a center feed.
Any chance you could recommend an off the shelf mid-light weight rifle under $1k? I like my Tikka T3 in 7mm08 but it's honestly not as accurate as I had hoped (but I bought it used and haven't played much with eating depth, and I might just suck at shooting). But I don't know what center feed is.

sndmn11

WKR
My 30-06 load is a 168gr ttsx at 3000fps, my 300wsm load is 175gr LRX at 3100 fps, 130gr ttsx is 3250 and 3600fps respectively. The short mag is cool, but I gave it to my brother because it does make more dead than the 30-06 or my wife's 7-08.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance you could recommend an off the shelf mid-light weight rifle under $1k? I like my Tikka T3 in 7mm08 but it's honestly not as accurate as I had hoped (but I bought it used and haven't played much with eating depth, and I might just suck at shooting). But I don't know what center feed is.
Tikka is a great choice for 300 WSM because the action is long enough to load it how it should have been designed in the first place. All you have to do is swap the magazine and bolt stop.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
300 wsm may not be king, but its like the masked vigilante who's also an expert ninja detective... smart, efficient, and holds its own against Superman. It may not be an actual superhero in terms of powers, but it holds its own... its the hero that Gotham deserves.

db.cannon

FNG
Classified Approved
not sure why I clicked on this since i just ordered one on sunday. it's been hard to find any tikka's in stock.

plan to chop mine to 22'' and throw a harvester evo on it, hopefully before this fall but we'll see.

just seemed really sensible for backcountry elk/mule deer hunting with a can. plus i've been able to find a decent amount of factory mono's for it.

newish to reloading but I have a bunch of 6.5 staball for my creedmoor, just would need some magnum primers.

I don’t shoot monos and never will. So…also, why 1500 ft lbs of energy? If you are thinking that is the min for elk because you read it online somewhere, thats pretty funny. Energy is super over rated, you need to figure out what the min velocity your bullet of choice will expand - that determines you max range for a given round.

The answer is yes - a 308 will easily kill an elk or any other big game animal at 500 yards. Just got to use the right bullet. I have a 12.5” 308 - at the elevation I hunt, I am good on elk out to 600 yards with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

68Plexi

WKR
Not going to talk you out of it. I have a good friend who loves his WSM. Hunts Elk every year with it. And EVERYTHING is expensive now so pick your poison. You'd have to go a lot smaller to save $ on ammo.

OP
H
I don’t shoot monos and never will. So…also, why 1500 ft lbs of energy? If you are thinking that is the min for elk because you read it online somewhere, thats pretty funny. Energy is super over rated, you need to figure out what the min velocity your bullet of choice will expand - that determines you max range for a given round.

The answer is yes - a 308 will easily kill an elk or any other big game animal at 500 yards. Just got to use the right bullet. I have a 12.5” 308 - at the elevation I hunt, I am good on elk out to 600 yards with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Why never shoot mono's? I live in a free state now, but a relative who will also use the rifle is high level state water management in a non-free state, his prediction is the lead hunting ban will make it's way across the US now that most major manufacturers are creating high quality monos. We will be using it in non free state to hunt as well.

Which is why the velocity requirement, Barnes 168 recommends 2K FPS for minimum expansion but 2200 is reported to get petals about twice as far open. I wouldn't mind using bonded or partition style bullets as well if not for the lead free requirements, both legally and for human consumption.
Yes the 1500 number does come from the online. I have very little hunting experience so this is why I ask, what is wrong with the 1500 number? I was told that quartering away/tougher/imperfect shots into shoulder etc the minimum energy will help guarantee a humane kill.

Why never shoot mono's? I live in a free state now, but a relative who will also use the rifle is high level state water management in a non-free state, his prediction is the lead hunting ban will make it's way across the US now that most major manufacturers are creating high quality monos. We will be using it in non free state to hunt as well.

Which is why the velocity requirement, Barnes 168 recommends 2K FPS for minimum expansion but 2200 is reported to get petals about twice as far open. I wouldn't mind using bonded or partition style bullets as well if not for the lead free requirements, both legally and for human consumption.
Yes the 1500 number does come from the online. I have very little hunting experience so this is why I ask, what is wrong with the 1500 number? I was told that quartering away/tougher/imperfect shots into shoulder etc the minimum energy will help guarantee a humane kill.
1500ft lbs of energy is nothing more than an arbitrary number - no science to back it up. A 44mag has about 1000ftlbs of energy at the muzzle and would easily kill an elk or moose. Bullet choice is much more important. I hunt exclusively with Bergers and ELDMs, which have expanded reliably for me all the way down to 1600 fps. I have never lost an animal with either of these bullets and they kill quickly. ABLR expand all the way down to about 1200 fps. You can run the numbers on a ballistic calculator and figure out at what yardage your bullet hits the min velocity for expansion and that is your max effective range for your round. Recoil in a lightweight 300 wsm without a brake or can will be pretty significant. I don’t get the whole lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead shot or lead bullets - my grandpa and great grandpa lived to be 90 and they ate more lead shot game than I can possibly imagine.

OP
H
1500ft lbs of energy is nothing more than an arbitrary number - no science to back it up. A 44mag has about 1000ftlbs of energy at the muzzle and would easily kill an elk or moose. Bullet choice is much more important. I hunt exclusively with Bergers and ELDMs, which have expanded reliably for me all the way down to 1600 fps. I have never lost an animal with either of these bullets and they kill quickly. ABLR expand all the way down to about 1200 fps. You can run the numbers on a ballistic calculator and figure out at what yardage your bullet hits the min velocity for expansion and that is your max effective range for your round. Recoil in a lightweight 300 wsm without a brake or can will be pretty significant. I don’t get the whole lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead shot or lead bullets - my grandpa and great grandpa lived to be 90 and they ate more lead shot game than I can possibly imagine.
Yeah, I am used to loading for my 7mm08 and haven't seen a single bonded bullet available to me, the monometals are the only premium hunting bullets i've been able to find so I have been leaning towards that when searching but www it's cray how much more 30 cal stuff is available. I will start crunching numbers in ballistic tables with the ABLR. Another reason I'm thinking of going bigger is to fill a gap instead of duplicate the role my 7mm08 already (hopes to) fill: medium game with lighter recoil.

Thanks for your help!