Talk me out of 300 WSM

archp625

WKR
Shhhhh don’t listen to these guys, 300wsm is all ya need😉 here mine 5lbs 2oz with a 20” tube. 178gr eldx doing 2925fps. That’s plenty to take elk out to 650yards and deer to 800yards if you go off the “recommended minimum amount of energy” per animal. And your using 10 less grains of powder than a 300wm, less recoil,less weight.View attachment 399379
I agree with this guy. I will be shooting 200.20X in my 20" shorty.

Tikka Rifle.jpg

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Can't wait to hear how the 200.20x will perform on game. My Carbon 6 barrel shows up today. Plan on shooting 200.20x or 205 Elite Hunters. Only about 200 months until the Defiance Anti is done lol

archp625

WKR
Can't wait to hear how the 200.20x will perform on game. My Carbon 6 barrel shows up today. Plan on shooting 200.20x or 205 Elite Hunters. Only about 200 months until the Defiance Anti is done lol
That is what barrel is on my rifle. So far only 22 rounds down the barrel with mid range loads to break the barrel in and shot a couple 0.6-0.7 inch groups. Cant wait to start development.

Ha! Not literally 200 months but last I heard it was around 40 weeks out...
Even 40 weeks is still stout. I don’t know how set you are on a regular Anti but Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles has Anti X both SA and LA with mag bolt face in stock as of a couple days ago. You probably ordered an XM though.

OP
H
First 2850 and small groups is great, and most shots are within its capabilities.
Calculations are subjective much like statistical data. What goes into the calculations can skew results. Looking at how the bullet performs in ballistic gel will tell you far more.

If you're set on a 300wsm then get it, try it, etc. If you're truly planning to shoot game past 500 , it isn't exactly the cats pajamas. However, it can work.

Paying attention to the velocity requirements of your choice of bullets with dictate the max range it's good for. Your abilities are the rest.

Have you looked at the 300 PRC, Norma, RUM, or considered your options in 7mm? A 7mm-300 Norma AI is crazy good, a 7mm STW as a factory choice may be good if you can find the twist rate you want, 7mm LRM is another one.

You have lots of options. Why are you fixated on a WSM?
Not past 500. Just to 500. Trying to fill the hole between 350-500 that my 7mm08 appears (based on a lot of assumptions and potentially bad data/napkin math as you rightly point out) to present. The lack of desire to go past 500, or shoot anything heavier than 175-180gr makes the benefits of 300PRC seem pretty moot. I think 300 WM, 30-06 would also do great for this application. But the 300 WSM being a bit shorter seems potentially beneficial, if a bit minor and aesthetic.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Even 40 weeks is still stout. I don’t know how set you are on a regular Anti but Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles has Anti X both SA and LA with mag bolt face in stock as of a couple days ago. You probably ordered an XM though.
I did order an XM.. And to make it even worse it has to be LH.... :cautious:

Read the first post, not the whole thread, but... I had the same dilemma, build a long range elk rifle. It was 300wsm and it is a shooting sob as far as I am able to accurately shoot it. It was a custom rifle, so I know it's solid, but loading for the 300wsm is a dream and it's performance out to 1000yds is outstanding. I spent last summer shooting it at ranges from 500-1000 and when the time came to take a shot on an elk last fall with it at 720yds, there was no hesitation at all. One shot, one step, dead bull. I loaded 168 Berger VLDH and it took out a mature bull, top of the heart (my mark was for 725, not 720) and both lungs and passed thru.

I am switching up to 200.20x for some long range competition this summer and that will be my hunting load as well in the fall, I'm sure.

OP
H
Read the first post, not the whole thread, but... I had the same dilemma, build a long range elk rifle. It was 300wsm and it is a shooting sob as far as I am able to accurately shoot it. It was a custom rifle, so I know it's solid, but loading for the 300wsm is a dream and it's performance out to 1000yds is outstanding. I spent last summer shooting it at ranges from 500-1000 and when the time came to take a shot on an elk last fall with it at 720yds, there was no hesitation at all. One shot, one step, dead bull. I loaded 168 Berger VLDH and it took out a mature bull, top of the heart (my mark was for 725, not 720) and both lungs and passed thru.

I am switching up to 200.20x for some long range competition this summer and that will be my hunting load as well in the fall, I'm sure.
What's the twist rate and length of the barrel?
I don't know what 200.20x means.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a 300 Win Mag instead. If you want to shoot heavier , better BC bullets ditch the short case and go with the longer one. There's nothing the 300 wsm does better than it's big brother.
Correct me if I’m wrong but won’t you be limited by COAL with the long bullets in the WM?

If going long action why not 300 PRC

What's the twist rate and length of the barrel?
I don't know what 200.20x means.
200.20x is a 200gr berger VLD hybrid bullet and I built it with a 24" Bartlein fluted barrel, 10 twist.

As for the big brother WM, yes, the wsm does all that and with less powder and not having to mess with belted cases.. what's not to like?

excaliber

WKR
Correct me if I’m wrong but won’t you be limited by COAL with the long bullets in the WM?

If going long action why not 300 PRC
Not at all. Tikka's have one of the shortest length mag/ actions in the 300 magnums. On top of that they have weird barrel twists.

Shhhhh don’t listen to these guys, 300wsm is all ya need😉 here mine 5lbs 2oz with a 20” tube. 178gr eldx doing 2925fps. That’s plenty to take elk out to 650yards and deer to 800yards if you go off the “recommended minimum amount of energy” per animal. And your using 10 less grains of powder than a 300wm, less recoil,less weight.View attachment 399379
Can you give me the full specs on your rifle and who built it? That is almost exactly what i had pictured in my head for a build. That thing looks awsome.

madcalfe

WKR
Can you give me the full specs on your rifle and who built it? That is almost exactly what i had pictured in my head for a build. That thing looks awsome.
defiance anti short action
20" proof sendero
Pva ultralight jet blast brake
Paradigm carbon 16oz stock
trigger tech special
currently using snowy mountain bottom metal and AICS mags but going to switch it out to Hawkins hunter so i can use flush mount mags and knock off another 3-4oz

and it was built up in canada