Talk me out of 300 WSM

defiance anti short action
20" proof sendero
Pva ultralight jet blast brake
Paradigm carbon 16oz stock
trigger tech special
currently using snowy mountain bottom metal and AICS mags but going to switch it out to Hawkins hunter so i can use flush mount mags and knock off another 3-4oz

and it was built up in canada
Nice build! I am using the same brake and trigger in mine, went with a Bartlein fluted instead of a Proof and an AG Composites carbon fiber stock. I wanted 500-1000yd capability, so I went 24". It weighs more, but it shoot great.

Can’t talk you out of it. I have a CA Ridgeline in 300 WSM and currently building one on a Bighorn medium action and 20” Bartlein barrel

I've got two Kimber montana's, they've killed a pile of critters with a 150gr Barnes TTSX going 3380 fps. Out to 600 yards. I think its been a pretty good caliber for me !!!

That bullet setup is what I wanna hunt elk with...
Yep, the barnes ttsx seem to work well for me. I do think from an expansion standpoint, 650 is about max distance for the 150s. From the bullet i recovered on a quartering shot at 600 on a big cow elk.

OP
H
I've still been trying to piece together a build list for this - my main hangups at this point: is the Tikka 1:11 twist really too slow (berger stability calc says 'marginal' ~1.4SG in my planned hunting conditions), and is the recoil with 160-180gr going to be that bad to really need a brake for something like load workups/plinking?

Also wondering about with a semi custom - do I need a new stock if I do something like a preferred barrel (Sporter contour) replacement? Everything with the semi custom just seems to be expensive when I look at all the costs...

Sled

WKR
I've still been trying to piece together a build list for this - my main hangups at this point: is the Tikka 1:11 twist really too slow (berger stability calc says 'marginal' ~1.4SG in my planned hunting conditions), and is the recoil with 160-180gr going to be that bad to really need a brake for something like load workups/plinking?

Also wondering about with a semi custom - do I need a new stock if I do something like a preferred barrel (Sporter contour) replacement? Everything with the semi custom just seems to be expensive when I look at all the costs...

Your factory stock is fine. Replace it if you need something different due to barrel contour or want other options.

natedock1

FNG
Please talk me out of getting into an out of fashion cartridge - the 300 WSM. Staring at ballistic tables and availability for projectiles and comparing both to my 7mm08, I think that the 300 WSM is the perfect fit for my desired application - hunting Elk in Idaho.
Looking to get something a bit bigger but really don't want to get into the belted magnums as a hand loader. Also think the Nosler cartridges are a bit overbore, and don't have any desire for long range target shooting so dont see reason to get into the PRC's.
Said ballistic tables look like they can send 168 monometals fast enough to keep 2-2.2k FPS and 1500+ ft lbs of energy at 500 yards out of a 24".
I already have some powders that should work (Ramshot Big Game) and plenty of LRMP.

The cons - brass is expensive as !*#& and it's not even Lapua. New rifles are not commonly chambered in it anymore.

Is this a dead horse to hitch to?
get a 300 prc before a 300 wsm....wsm's in general are a dying breed. i had a 270 wsm and loved it until you see every other kind of ammo on the shelves but little to no wsm...very few people besides winchester make ammo for the wsm anymore.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
get a 300 prc before a 300 wsm....wsm's in general are a dying breed. i had a 270 wsm and loved it until you see every other kind of ammo on the shelves but little to no wsm...very few people besides winchester make ammo for the wsm anymore.
300 wsm is not 270 wsm.
Lots of support for it. Factory ammunition from Federal, Hornady, Norma, Hsm, Winchester, and Remington to name a few.
Also ADG recently added it to their brass lineup.
The 300 wsm is not going anywhere anytime soon.

natedock1

FNG
300 wsm is not 270 wsm.
Lots of support for it. Factory ammunition from Federal, Hornady, Norma, Hsm, Winchester, and Remington to name a few.
Also ADG recently added it to their brass lineup.
The 300 wsm is not going anywhere anytime soon.
its a great round...i think the 300 prc will take over popularity from the 300 wsm in the coming years, federal and remington also always produced a lot of 270 wsm as well but have been producing other more popular rounds as opposed to the wsm lately and will continue to be less and less. ballistically the prc is superior to the wsm..less wind drift, less drop, and more energy at 500 yards. if you dont shoot anywhere near those distances you might as well buy a .308 and enjoy less recoil with great 300 yard performance, ammo availability and price. get ready to shell out $75 for a box of 300 wsm

jimh406

WKR
its a great round...i think the 300 prc will take over popularity from the 300 wsm in the coming years,

True that the 300 PRC is faster has less windrift for that reason and overall has a much bigger cartridge. It also has almost no factory ammo made for it, kicks a lot more, and burns a lot more powder. It’s also a very long cartridge while the 300 WSM is much shorter more efficient cartridge.

Oh, and funny comment on the 300 WSM costing $75 a box, but the reality is there are a lot of different price ammo for 300 WSM, and you can actually find it to buy at less than $50 with hunting bullets. Go query Ammoseek.

The gun market is littered by a lot of great cartridges that are better than others in some way. I would go with a 300 Weatherby Magnum instead of the 300 PRC if you want quite a bit more power than a 300 WSM. You can actually buy ammo for it, and if you reload there is no advantage at hunting distances for the 300 PRC. You can slow down the 300 Weatherby easily.

Unless you are shooting long range target matches or need to buy the latest cartridge on the market, the 300 PRC is one of the worst choices for a 300 right now. It was created to sell Hornady ammo and Hornady bullets. That’s fine, but for hunting at what most people would consider moderate hunting distances, there aren’t a lot of advantages.

natedock1

FNG
True that the 300 PRC is faster has less windrift for that reason and overall has a much bigger cartridge. It also has almost no factory ammo made for it, kicks a lot more, and burns a lot more powder. It’s also a very long cartridge while the 300 WSM is much shorter more efficient cartridge.

Oh, and funny comment on the 300 WSM costing $75 a box, but the reality is there are a lot of different price ammo for 300 WSM, and you can actually find it to buy at less than $50 with hunting bullets. Go query Ammoseek.

The gun market is littered by a lot of great cartridges that are better than others in some way. I would go with a 300 Weatherby Magnum instead of the 300 PRC if you want quite a bit more power than a 300 WSM. You can actually buy ammo for it, and if you reload there is no advantage at hunting distances for the 300 PRC. You can slow down the 300 Weatherby easily.

Unless you are shooting long range target matches or need to buy the latest cartridge on the market, the 300 PRC is one of the worst choices for a 300 right now. It was created to sell Hornady ammo and Hornady bullets. That’s fine, but for hunting at what most people would consider moderate hunting distances, there aren’t a lot of advant

Unless you are shooting long range target matches or need to buy the latest cartridge on the market, the 300 PRC is one of the worst choices for a 300 right now. It was created to sell Hornady ammo and Hornady bullets. That’s fine, but for hunting at what most people would consider moderate hunting distances, there aren’t a lot of advantages.
with hunting at moderate distances not only would i not buy a 300 prc...i wouldnt touch the 300 wsm. if a 30 cal bullet is what you want a 308 or 30-06 is just fine for elk on down...better ammo availability and way less recoil=increased accuracy. people buy more gun than what their skill can handle and the situation calls for.

idig4au

WKR
Love my 300 wsm and certainly wouldn’t talk you out of one. I built mine around the 168 gr TTSX bullet and it’s all i shoot. I’m getting 3100 fps with 64.0 gr RL17 from a 22 inch Satern barrel.

idig4au

WKR

This is truth. Couldn’t have said it better

jstraus34

FNG
There is always going to be a cartridge that is bit faster, has less wind drift and hits harder but think the 300 WSM is very hard to beat in the .30 cal category. Despite what has been claimed about the 300 WSM going out of fashion, there continues to be a strong demand for it, just go on GunBroker and see all of the rifles available in it. Its not the 270 WSM as someone previously mentioned, its got staying power IMO. I have had several and love them but a lot has to do with the rifle too. My Browning Xbolt HC with the radial break doesn't bite hard when I pull the trigger and shoots a sub MOA group. Anything I've shot at and connected with in the right place did not go far, with the exception of one Red Deer that I hit a little far forward as he was moving fast. The second shot dropped him in his tracks... I also like having a shorter barrel and most of the WSMs carry under 24". If I were going to get a new one I would probably get the Browning xbolt mountain pro.

Sled

WKR
Its not the 270 WSM as someone previously mentioned, its got staying power IMO.

Yeah, until browning comes out with the 7.6 western and produces only that caliber during a pandemic. Then your WSM goes on to reloaders heaven just like my 270 short mag.

Sled

WKR
The 270 WSM was dead before the 6.8 Western was produced.

They still put the nail in the coffin with a cartridge that does not best the predecessor. It too will meet the fate of the WSM when the advertising budget runs out.

People buying boutique calibers need to stock components and pick up reloading if they want to shoot it a decade later.

Please talk me out of getting into an out of fashion cartridge - the 300 WSM. Staring at ballistic tables and availability for projectiles and comparing both to my 7mm08, I think that the 300 WSM is the perfect fit for my desired application - hunting Elk in Idaho.
Looking to get something a bit bigger but really don't want to get into the belted magnums as a hand loader. Also think the Nosler cartridges are a bit overbore, and don't have any desire for long range target shooting so dont see reason to get into the PRC's.
Said ballistic tables look like they can send 168 monometals fast enough to keep 2-2.2k FPS and 1500+ ft lbs of energy at 500 yards out of a 24".
I already have some powders that should work (Ramshot Big Game) and plenty of LRMP.

The cons - brass is expensive as !*#& and it's not even Lapua. New rifles are not commonly chambered in it anymore.

Is this a dead horse to hitch to?
It has been two months. What did you decide on?