Talk me out of 7mm Rem Mag

I like them all. There’s definitely nothing wrong with the 7mm RM, but I’d take the .338 WM over it any day.

I’m in the same boat as OP. Never had a custom built, looking for any game(besides brown bears) out to 700 yards. I have a custom 7mag in the works. Should be ready in a few months. I went back and forth a million times on caliber but since I don’t reload I ruled out the 280ai and 6.5prc as those were the others I was interested in. I also don’t really care for the punishment a 300win delivers to a shoulder.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
7 mag is a little out dated with the belt but its a hard cartridge to be beat in my opinion when you weight out all the factors. I have owned a few and continue to go back to them. 162 gr Hornady Percison hunter load is a great do all round and will defiantly take an elk down at 600 yards.

You can't say you want a light compact mt rifle then go with a Long Magnum Action! Also the 7 RM is outdated with the belt etc.

You need a 7 SAUM! I did exactly that with my custom and its great. As mentioned there are many other cartridges that work but I feel the 7 Saum does everything you mentioned and better than others. (Now if you were into wildcats you should look at the Sherman Short line....)

Tikka T3 SL (not T3X) in 7RM shooting Barnes Vor-TX 160 grain factory loads averaging .75 MOA. Would not group Federal 140‘s. 150 grain Core Lokts were MOA but the Barnes were excellent. I have enormous confidence in this rifle.

I still have a 7mm RM. Nothing wrong with it or the caliber. It would fit your purpose very well. I do however generally hunt with a 300 WSM.

If I were to do one all around build, it would likely be a 300 WM. But that does not appear to fit your requirement in recoil.

I still find myself in disbelief over the concern about the belted magnum cases.

It’s just a matter of principal! It’s not needed so therefore I don’t like it. (I understand the practical reasons people hold on to old stuff- easier to find factory ammo, nostalgia, load data, proven or maybe they are resistant to change and improvements)

Last edited:

Big Ern

WKR
The 7mm is a great round, but why punish yourself if you don’t have to? At 600 for mid sized game, a 6.5cm (with a brake) would be a fine choice and a cream puff to shoot. For practice, you are good to shoot out to a mile provided your scope has the elevation adjustment.

If going after elk at 600, then I would be looking at a 300 win mag (I have a soft spot for this round). Just love the 300wm.

Note: my choices are always limited to factory ammo choices as I don’r reload. Currently using Precision Hunter 143 eldx with great results for game and target our of my hunting rig. Range/comp rifle is using Berger match hybrids.

It’s just a matter of principal! It’s not needed so therefore I don’t like it. (I understand the practical reasons people hold on to old stuff- easier to find factory ammo, nostalgia, load data, proven or maybe they are resistant to change and improvements)

You deem cartridge design as a matter of principle?

My question is intended to be helpful. Some things are core, some aren't. If I prefer to resist the 'change and improvement' of elastic waist bands on pants, and continue to wear a belt, am I wrong?

FWIW, my take is that owning a belted caliber falls under matters of preference. What if the 257W, 7RM, or 300WM is a one-holer, feeds perfect...and all that? Is it less accurate...less reliable...kills to a lesser degree?

There actually are a lot of design principles that make a cartridge more efficient. - like shoulder angle, taper, cartridge length vs diameter etc. one of those principles is a “magnum” belt is a waste! 😆.

And yes the reason to use one is purely preference (I already listed possible reasons one may prefer it) It’s just a matter of principal to me to follow good cartridge design principles. So the OP said to talk him out of a 7RM so that’s what I trying to do.

Last edited:

WKR
I'd get a 8 twist Hawk Hill #2 contour, finished at 24 inches and would send smith a 180 Scenar dummy round at length I wanted. The 180 scenar with H1000 or RL26 has been a great killer for us out to plus 700 yards.

Since you want talked out of it, I vote for the 6.5x284.

1. factory ammo is available with lapua brass and berger bullets, which IMO is a dramatic improvement over hornady's offerings in the 6.5 prc, and lapua doesn't even make 7mm rem mag brass.
2. 7mm Rem Mag is a wanna be caliber. It want's to be light recoiling, and it wants to be a magnum, but it's really not either, which is why you see a fair number of custom 7mm's wearing muzzle brakes and the 280 AI almost catches it on velocity.
3. 6.5x284 has a legacy of extreme accuracy, and is truly light recoiling, even without a brake.

Zeus401

FNG
Ordered a 7mm rem mag from Remington in July for mule deer and elk. It is a fast and flat shooter, hard to beat!

Just dropped my 7 mm off to get some barrel work done and lighten the trigger... you all got me excited about this caliber again. Classic!

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I put a limb saver precision fit recoil pad on my 7mm and it toned it way down as far as recoil. Hard to beat for $35. I shot a .300wm but after hurting my right shoulder I went back to the 7mm and with that pad I’m able to shoot as long as I want out on the range.

terp91

FNG
Thanks for all of the input! I've been shooting an out of the box 7RM for the last 25 years or so and have zero complaints....but since I've decided to make the jump to a custom firearm I wanted to revisit my choice of caliber. I probably should have added that availability of factory ammunition is a plus for me, so I would most likely exclude the 280 ai & 28 nosler for that reason alone.
Aiming for around 9 lbs overall (without bipod), so it won't be crazy light. I hunt mostly with a bow now, so I can't see using this for anything other than the game I mentioned, although I do have an over the counter 338 WM that I'd use if something should change there.

If you like the 7RM stick with it. It doesn't work any less well now than it did 25 years ago when you got your first one. Plus having a backup in the same caliber isn't a bad thing.

Regarding recoil - I've got a Ruger in 7RM that weighs 8.8lbs with scope. Recoil is mild at that weight but stock fit will be a big factor in how it feels to you. Ex. I can't stand a buddy's Savage in 308. His stock is short and wide; it beats me up but he loves it.