Talk me out of 7mm Rem Mag

Jarhead

FNG
Another thread on Caliber......I know......but humor me.

I'm building (having built) a rifle for long range sheep/mule deer, maybe an ibex or oryx in there. Nothing larger than a cow elk. The goal is a light weight mountain firearm that I can accurately shoot to 600 yards. I have no intention of shooting animals beyond this range, although for confidence building I will target shoot out to 1,000. I'm an experienced shooter and not afraid of recoil, but given the goal is a lighter weight setup recoil will be somewhat amplified. So......I'm leaning towards 7 Rem Mag. Input is appreciated. At this point I'm not dead set on anything. Thanks for the help!!

PNWGATOR

WKR
My recommendation is to pick a bullet and build the delivery system around that. There are a lot of great bullets that’ll do everything you’re looking for delivered with way less recoil (more fun to shoot!) than a 7 mag.

elkduds

WKR
My recommendation is to pick a bullet and build the delivery system around that. There are a lot of great bullets that’ll do everything you’re looking for delivered with way less recoil (more fun to shoot!) than a 7 mag.
For instance, 280 AI gets the same performance w same bullets as 7 rem mag, w less recoil. Even a plain ol' 270 is within 100 FPS of the 7rm for the same bullet weights.

Rob5589

WKR
The 7RM is one of my favorite rounds. Easy to load, tons of bullets, recoil is relatively easy, especially compared to the .300's. With a brake it'll be a pussycat.

For instance, 280 AI gets the same performance w same bullets as 7 rem mag, w less recoil. Even a plain ol' 270 is within 100 FPS of the 7rm for the same bullet weights.
Never loaded a 270 but, I used to run a 162 amax @ 3200ish and a 180 @ close to 3000 in my 7 mag. I don't see the 270 getting within a 100 fps of either of those. Could be wrong, however.

SDHNTR

WKR
I just built a rifle with similar goals in mind, although I wouldn’t stop at cow elk and would certainly include bulls. 7 mag was my choice. I would instantly dismiss anyone who discounts the effectiveness of a 7 mm mag in the real world. Fine choice.

In my opinion, of the traditional magnum calibers, without getting weird with one of the new PRCs or some wildcat, sticking something mainstream, it’s the best long-range choice, all things considered...

elkduds

WKR
Never loaded a 270 but, I used to run a 162 amax @ 3200ish and a 180 @ close to 3000 in my 7 mag. I don't see the 270 getting within a 100 fps of either of those. Could be wrong, however.
Because of all the uncontrolled variables among individual handloaders, I compared factory load data, specifically Hornady because I have it handy. As you suggested, there are undoubtedly people claiming 270 velocities within 100 fps of yours. Bullet weights beyond 150g in 270 will show the advantage of 7RM for heavier bullets. However, those bullet weights are not necessary for the game the OP mentioned. You were getting higher velocity than most w your handloads🎯 Curious what barrel length your 7 was?

Based on a lot of reviews and feedback I’d say you are right on the mark.
Some will also say the 6.5 PRC, but availability of ammo and other reasons will sway you back to the 7mm Rem Mag
I tossed around the idea of a 28 nosler but wanted a shorter barrel and a light weight set up.
162-180’s will be great out of a 7mm Rem Mag.
I’m pretty sure I’m going to be building a light weight 7mm RM myself, choosing it over the 28.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd personally go 6.5 PRC, but I also have a 300 win mag that will be handling anything elk size, or get used where big bears live.

With my theory I'm going to guess you cow hunt similar to the way I hunt antlerless deer season. Buck hunting I want a gun/bullet I'm comfortable taking a shot at any reasonable angle. I want to know I can break bone and reach vitals if the perfect broadside shot isn't offered. Antlerless season I usually shoot a 243 or 25-06 because I will be extremely picky on shot angle. I don't need the one big mature animal I'm hunting to give me a perfect opportunity, I just need one of a group to give me a good angle.

I've had several 7 mags over the years and liked them all. It's a great one rifle for everything solution. Since you mentioned it would be a light gun and not used on anything over cow elk in size, I'd personally go with something that offers a high BC in a bullet around 140 grains. It will have less recoil and still do all you need. My best bull was taken with a 270 win and 140 grain Accubond at 614 yards. I had a ton of practice time in on that rifle and knew it would do the job. I don't look for long shots but where I elk hunt shots are either very close or cross canyon. I didn't have the 300 win mag mountain rifle back then.

My biggest reason for going lighter would be recoil. I had a flinch years ago and got it beat. I shoot the 300 win well, but make sure I don't shoot it to much at any one time. I have used it deer hunting some when weight mattered, but I'm going back to using the lighter calibers for everything smaller than bull elk. I recently picked up a Browning Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor that may be taking over the deer hunting when weight is an issue from the 300 win mag. I'm still debating if I'm keeping it or selling it for a 6.5 PRC. It's a tackdriver but only pushing 130gr bullets around 2630fps. It's sure pleasant to practice with and watch the bullets hit the steel targets though, can't keep that sight picture with the 300 win mag for sure!

mt100gr.

WKR
7mag would be hard to beat for your parameters. Recoil won't be to rough in a reasonable weight packing rifle, either.

My 7mm has done perfect work on elk, mule deer and sheep from way closer than expected to 615 yards with 168gr bullets.
If I had a touch faster twist, I'd go a little heavier.

With a 600 yard max, a good .284 bullet around 2900fps will be plenty for everything you listed and then some.

WCB

WKR
I have a 7lb custom 7mm Rem. including scope. Great shooting rifle. Maybe I'm not recoil shy from growing up shooting 3.5 inch waterfowl loads out of pumps and slug guns but I don't get why people think 7's kick so hard?

I will never put a break on my firearms as they are obnoxious. If you want a 7rem get one.

7 mag is a fine cartridge, I was in a similar boat and went with a 280ai. It has a good side port brake and is quite mild to shoot even with 175s.

With a 600 yard max, a good .284 bullet around 2900fps will be plenty for everything you listed and then some.

This is why I went with a 280ai. I can shoot a box at the range and recoil is not an issue even with a lightweight Kimber.

Rob5589

WKR
Because of all the uncontrolled variables among individual handloaders, I compared factory load data, specifically Hornady because I have it handy. As you suggested, there are undoubtedly people claiming 270 velocities within 100 fps of yours. Bullet weights beyond 150g in 270 will show the advantage of 7RM for heavier bullets. However, those bullet weights are not necessary for the game the OP mentioned. You were getting higher velocity than most w your handloads🎯 Curious what barrel length your 7 was?
Understood. That particular gun sported a 26" Krieger.

mt100gr.

WKR
This is why I went with a 280ai. I can shoot a box at the range and recoil is not an issue even with a lightweight Kimber.
No argument with that. 280AI would be a very appropriate cartridge, as well. I don't have any personal experience with that one though.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a few 7mags (Rem Mag and Wby Mag). None of them had brakes, and none needed one. Recoil isn't bad at all.

I bought a 7 Rem Ultra Mag once. Shot 5 rounds and sold it. Recoil was a lot more than a regular 7mag. I could have put a brake on it, but I don't like a brake on a hunting rifle. My hearing is bad enough already, and you don't always have time to get ear protection in place when you're hunting and a shot opportunity presents itself.

I have a rifle built of off a Remington 700 with a Harris Bipod with a podlock, custom stock, adjustable trigger, and a Leupold optic, for 600 yard shots you could do a whole lot worse. The nice part about building off of a 700 is you can do it piece by piece instead of all in one go.

Rob5589

WKR
I've had a few 7mags (Rem Mag and Wby Mag). None of them had brakes, and none needed one. Recoil isn't bad at all.

I bought a 7 Rem Ultra Mag once. Shot 5 rounds and sold it. Recoil was a lot more than a regular 7mag. I could have put a brake on it, but I don't like a brake on a hunting rifle. My hearing is bad enough already, and you don't always have time to get ear protection in place when you're hunting and a shot opportunity presents itself.
Agree. I can shoot my 7RM T3 all day without issue. Years ago I had a Browning in 300 Win, I sold it after the second range trip.