Talk Me Out Of a 6mm Creedmoor

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
For what you're wanting to use it for, it's one of the best choices out there, IMO! I'm hoping my 6CM build will be done in January. Just in time for varmint tournament season.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought a Ruger American Predator 6cm a while back just to practice load development and get trigger time. Well it's now my favorite rifle and holds MOA out to 700 (the farthest I've shot on a measureable target), and my hunting partners 9 yr old daughter killed her first doe and a spike bull last year with it and she's about to head out with it again.

The 105gr VLD @ 3k fps seems to do a fine job

received_967026810766398.jpeg

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Are we talking you out of it?-

Pretty much the same as a 243

Short barrel life in comparison to other slower 6mm

243 Factory ammo is more available

243 feeds better (in theory)

h4350 is “the” powder and that is one of the more price gouged powders right now rl16 is good sauce too.

lack of rifle options

and potentially the worst thing of all is-

*having to say the word “Creedmoor”… I assume it does the same thing to me as saying “moist” to my wife does.

that said, my competition rifle is a 6CM, and I have zero complains, fast as rules allow, same hole accuracy, feeds fine with a tuned AICS mag.

243 Factory ammo is more available
Well.....I have yet to go to Sportsmans and not see 6mm CM on the shelf in the last year. I have not seen a single box of 243 in that same time. The 243 may have more options but good luck finding them.

I was just at Sportsmans looking at a Ruger in 6mm CM and they have the Magpul American stock there which felt nice in hand.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Well.....I have yet to go to Sportsmans and not see 6mm CM on the shelf in the last year. I have not seen a single box of 243 in that same time. The 243 may have more options but good luck finding them.

I was just at Sportsmans looking at a Ruger in 6mm CM and they have the Magpul American stock there which felt nice in ha

Well, I stand corrected then.

I dont have much experience with it yet, only 15 rounds through it but I love the gun. I bought my daughter a Ruger American Predator and took it out a couple weeks ago to get it sighted in. I did nothing special as far as barrel break in or anything. I got it on paper and then tried 4 different factory loads and every one of them was under an inch. The eld-m was the best of them all. Im excited to shoot the gun more and see if handloads can do any better. I gotta adjust the trigger on it, set from the factory its at about 4.5 pounds.

VernAK

WKR
I'm patiently awaiting for Sig to bring out their Cross rifle in 6CM. That will be my truck gun.

BTW.....Brownells has 108 ELD Match in stock......2k arrived in the mail today.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to be talking you into one. My son has been shooting a rebarreled tikka T3 in 6 Creed since 2018 at PRS matches. I think its the best 6mm option that is factory supported with off-the-shelf ammo. My son absolutely loves his.

Big Ern

WKR
6mm cm is a great round. Light recoil, flat shooting, accurate. The only negative is barrel life. Non-issue if yoy don’t shoot much, but if youbpractice a lot, then speed and accuracy will start to drop at around 1400-1800 rounds depending on the barrel.

most of the guys Inlnow that use 6mm on their comp rifles and changing barrels at 1200-1500 rounds before they get too wonky.

If it’s on a tikka might as well take full advantage of the longer action and just build a 6mm Remington, unless you like wildcats and go with a 6mm x 55 SE or 6x284……

The advantage of the 6cm is it works well in short actions and short mags for the longer bullets and higher twist rates

Can’t, if they had them when I bought my 243 and reloading gear, I would have just bought the 6CM. Couldn’t get 243 with 105 AMAX in factory ammo. 6CM fixed that problem with the 103s and other high BC bullets.

I've been on a big 6mm Creedmoor kick lately. It looks great on paper, but I'd like to hear some real world opinions. Ideally I'd get a Bergara or Tikka to re-barrel and build out. Main use would be for thermal hunting hogs, and coyotes. It'd also be nice if I could use it on deer, antelope and black bear. Currently am down to only having a M70 in 7Mag and a 223 AR so looking for a good "in between" caliber

I don't reload and factory ammo for the 6mm has been readily available even when most calibers aren't and so that's what really got me thinking about
I have one in a Bergara Premier Approach - its my primary coyote gun. I love it….