Talk me out of a Beretta A300

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting an 12 gauge A300 for duck/pheasant/squirrel. I currently use an 1187 for everything but I don’t like switching the barrel as it’s very dialed in for deer season here in IL. Probably paranoid but I like to know that thing is right on when I take it out of the case. I’d also like a synthetic stock to throw in the canoe and not worry about it, etc. Appreciate any thoughts on the A300. Cabela’s has them in stock for 680 bucks.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an A300 and an A400. Love them both. My A300 typically gets the nod for dove and quail while the A400 gets the nod for everything else including if the weather may suck.

Break it in per the instructions and you should be golden.

Bought my son one last year. For the price, I don’t think you can touch it. For twice the price you probably can :) I have a A400 and it’s a nicer shotgun, but no more reliable (100% so far on both) and it’s double or more the money. Go buy it and don’t look back!

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I got one for 450 bucks a few years back from Cabela's. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

They are solid. At least go shoulder a whole bunch of them. I upgraded last year and the A300 didn't feel as good to me but this is entirely personal. I went with a used Win SX3 and have been happy.

I bought mine 5 years ago to duck hunt with. It has been solid. Easy to disassemble and clean. It has seen some very busy days on the dove field also. I want for nothing more/better.

Jmort1754

WKR
I’ve got 3000 rounds through mine they are good for the money.

Look at the stoeger 3500 aa well.

Why would I talk you out of it? It's my primary field gun for doves. My only gripe is that it is not left handed.

My other field gun is a LH Benelli Ultralight which I use for quail and if I am walking a lot for hunting. If it is going to be in the truck or I am sitting for doves, it's all about the beretta.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Handled one yesterday and bought one today. Pick it up in a week thanks to IL being unable to do anything right, including timely background checks.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Put about 100 shells through it the other day. It will not cycle 7/8 ounce loads. Other than that I love it!

Break-in took longer on my A400 Extreme Plus than the manual said...probably 500 rounds with 1-1/8 oz. Shoots 1 once reliably now but light 7/8 ounce loads do not leave the action open on the last shell fired.

Make sure to clean the gas ports very well...I'm using a "straw brush" ( a household brush with nylon bristles) to clean the A400 ports as it is hard to get in there due to the angle they are drilled into the barrel at and the gas piston ring.

Good luck with it, should break in and be a great soft on the shooter shotgun, heavy or light loads.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Did you follow Beretta's recommend break-in procedure?

Read the entire manual it came with. Not a word about break in. Got a link or a recommendation? I cleaned and lubed her before assembly and letter rip.

Read the entire manual it came with. Not a word about break in. Got a link or a recommendation? I cleaned and lubed her before assembly and letter rip.

Cant find the info for the A300 but this is from the A400:

Beretta recommends: To immediately obtain superior firearm performance and optimum cartridges versatility from your A400 Xplor, fire some medium power cartridges first (32g/1 1/8 oz).

Beretta also recommends to run the gas piston area of the A400 dry. I wipe mine down with a paper towel if not too dirty. If I need to rub some carbon off that adheres in that area I use a brass bristle brush (oversize toothbrush) and some Hoppes #9 powder solvent or Breakfree CLP. Afterward I wipe it dry with a clean paper towel.

Sandstrom

WKR
Can’t go wrong with a Benelli UL! I had to get a second one after I let my wife shoot mine!