Talk me out of a Chassis (CA MPR)

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my Kimber 308 and I've decided to purchase a 6.5 PRC, I plan to use it mostly for day hunts (big game), long range steel on occasion, and backpack rifle hunts once or twice a year.

I have never owned a chassis gun and initially I was dead set on the CA MPR, however, I also like the CA Traverse which looks to be the same gun but with a conventional stock. I'm not sure I can pinpoint what exactly it is about the chassis Im drawn to, maybe the folding stock, maybe just the cool factor?

I would like to hear some pros and cons from members that have used or use a chassis gun for hunting..

Interested as well. Is there enough of a weight savings to justify the chassis over a conventional stock?

OP
LineandBuck

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Some are ugly, like the chassis with the full length rail on the top. But the MPR looks pretty sexy to me

Has anyone put the Christensen MPR on a scale to see what it weighs compared to the new ultra light stuff from XLR? I’m guessing it will be more with the foldable stock, but curious.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just my opinion but holding onto aluminum in cold and/or wet weather is uncomfortable and it can be slick. Otherwise, if you like the looks, they have several pros

khuber84

WKR
The chassis is almost 3.5# I weighed mine, it's a 6.5 creedmoor. The xlr with folder is about 32oz. Then if you actually use a comparable butstock on xlr it's about 40oz. Still a pound lighter than the Christensen.

Last edited:

Superchop

FNG
Love my magnesium XLR Element 3.0 for my new hunting set up. Super light. Easy to custom fit to me, my wife, or my boys.

khuber84

WKR
Love my magnesium XLR Element 3.0 for my new hunting set up. Super light. Easy to custom fit to me, my wife, or my boys.
Did you get the carbon butt stock? Curious how you like it, since there almost no surface area to use a shooting bag for rear support. I wish they'd make some sort a bag rider for it.

Superchop

FNG
Did you get the carbon butt stock? Curious how you like it, since there almost no surface area to use a shooting bag for rear support. I wish they'd make some sort a bag rider for it.

I know they already have a couple of prototypes they are testing and I think they’ve made it a priority, so I’m betting we’ll see it very soon. As is, it wouldn’t be ideal to shoot longer strings of fire, but for realistic hunting applications it hasn’t been an issue.

Lawnboi

WKR
Krg bravo is another option I see as viable for a hunter. Most of the metal is covered. But your still stuck dealing with aics style mags

Last edited: