Talk me out of a fast eddie double pin

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Dang you lol.... I was just saying that the 3 pin might be the ticket. For whitetails 20-30-40. For elk 30 40 50... dial for everything further. Ugh! How heavy is it really? As in how many total oz?
The Fast Eddie Triple Stack is 13.5 oz and the Fast Eddie Triple Stack XL is 14.1 oz. When you start weighing other top end sights, I think it'll surprise you that it's really not much heavier. The sight picture is so big and nice. The first thing I noticed was how much better I could see my target switching from a 5 pin. Lot's of adjustability to dail everything in precisely. Ultimate versatility IMO. Rock solid construction. You would not be disappointed.

OP
E
The Fast Eddie Triple Stack is 13.5 oz and the Fast Eddie Triple Stack XL is 14.1 oz. When you start weighing other top end sights, I think it'll surprise you that it's really not much heavier. The sight picture is so big and nice. The first thing I noticed was how much better I could see my target switching from a 5 pin. Lot's of adjustability to dail everything in precisely. Ultimate versatility IMO. Rock solid construction. You would not be disappointed.
Do you happen to know the weight of the regular double stack fast eddie by chance??

That triple stack might be the ultimate.... I think 3 pins is probably the perfect all around. If I was only hunting deer and turkeys I think the double would be fine, but the triple stack might be the best for everything. Even if it is a little heavy, that doesn't scare me much as long as the bow balances well and holds well

wnelson14

WKR
HHA tetra Max, I believe you can switch between the single pin and four pin (use the bottom pin to dial) housing, Also the dial wheel comes off for easy sight tape adding and removing, comes with two wheels so you can have a lighter and heavier arrow wheel or whatever you want.
I currently have a Fast Eddie and may move to this.

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Do you happen to know the weight of the regular double stack fast eddie by chance??

That triple stack might be the ultimate.... I think 3 pins is probably the perfect all around. If I was only hunting deer and turkeys I think the double would be fine, but the triple stack might be the best for everything. Even if it is a little heavy, that doesn't scare me much as long as the bow balances well and holds well
I've never owned one but from what I can find online they are saying it weighs just under 12 oz.

I think you're right on the triple being the ultimate. If you're running any sort of back bar as well as a front bar you should be able to balance your bow without issue. I shoot quiver on year around, the back bar works great for balancing the weight of the quiver with arrows and any frontal weight the sight adds.

OP
E
HHA tetra Max, I believe you can switch between the single pin and four pin (use the bottom pin to dial) housing, Also the dial wheel comes off for easy sight tape adding and removing, comes with two wheels so you can have a lighter and heavier arrow wheel or whatever you want.
I currently have a Fast Eddie and may move to this.
Never considered them! How are they for durability?

OP
E
I've never owned one but from what I can find online they are saying it weighs just under 12 oz.

I think you're right on the triple being the ultimate. If you're running any sort of back bar as well as a front bar you should be able to balance your bow without issue. I shoot quiver on year around, the back bar works great for balancing the weight of the quiver with arrows and any frontal weight the sight adds.
I don't have a back bar, my bow currently holds awesome without one so I figured why add it if I don't need it yet... but, if I need one I'm not opposed at all!

wnelson14

WKR
Never considered them! How are they for durability?
Not sure I only heard about them from The newest Rokslide podcast with Mike Hern. I’ve watched a couple videos on them, sounds like HHA seems super underrated but they seem to check a lot of boxes.

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a back bar, my bow currently holds awesome without one so I figured why add it if I don't need it yet... but, if I need one I'm not opposed at all!
At the 1:55 min mark in this video ( link ) goes over a way to see how balanced your bow is. You might try this out on your current setup. If you do decide to get a back bar, and or run a quiver, this has helped me get everything balanced.

Last edited:

Kryos73

FNG
Short of heavy damage I'll probably never change from my XL Double Pin @ .019. I love this thing. At 60# my pin gap was 11 yds w/388 gr arrow going 257 fps.. I just swapped limbs and shafts. My new build is 488gr arrows and 70#. I'm headed to the shop this upcoming weekend to tune and adjust. Interested to see what my pin gap is going to be as well as new speed.

OP
E
So I bought one... got it on my bow.

And gave it to a buddy to try.
I wanted to love it, but after a decade of pins coming in from the side, I had a really hard time pin gapping with the vertical post. I really enjoyed the yardage wheel, I was shocked at how bright the 19 pins were, and I didn't find the set up to be too complex or terrible. I just could not get used to it.

I'm a 3-5 pin guy apparently.

Fantastic piece of gear. Would highly Recommend for anybody wanted a single pin with the option of pin gapping just in case. But it just wasn't for me.

I have the double pin and I really like it. Way less pin clutter and my bow shoots fast enough that two is all I really need. If its a far shot then I usually have enough time to dial and shoot.

OP
E
I have the double pin and I really like it. Way less pin clutter and my bow shoots fast enough that two is all I really need. If its a far shot then I usually have enough time to dial and shoot.
100% get that. But for me, the less clutter was made very difficult to appreciate with the black sight post. It kept catching my eye. Just didn't work for me and the type of shooting I do.

I am a top pin ninja. So really I just need one. But for practice and for peace of mind, I think 3 is best for me personally

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
So I bought one... got it on my bow.

And gave it to a buddy to try.
I wanted to love it, but after a decade of pins coming in from the side, I had a really hard time pin gapping with the vertical post. I really enjoyed the yardage wheel, I was shocked at how bright the 19 pins were, and I didn't find the set up to be too complex or terrible. I just could not get used to it.

I'm a 3-5 pin guy apparently.

Fantastic piece of gear. Would highly Recommend for anybody wanted a single pin with the option of pin gapping just in case. But it just wasn't for me.

When you say you bought one. Was it a triple stack or double pin?

OP
E
When you say you bought one. Was it a triple stack or double pin?
I bought the double pin. I looked at both and thought the weight savings made more sense to me for the type of hunting that I do.

If I was getting one now, I'd go triple stack all day and that or a mbg 3 pin would be the last sightI ever bought. For me 3 pins covers everything. And now with multi pin sliders and pointers for every pin I can do it all with one sight from indoor to 3d, to TAC to whitetail and elk.

BenchToField

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, either of those sights would fix the pin gap issue you were having. With pin design on the triple stack, I never really noticed any black between the pins. I did hold my bow up and looked through the sight after reading your post. The black is there, but in the background. Again, never really stood out to me. I'm sure it's more pronounced on the double pin.

Hopefully you get dialed in on the right sight in the end. I tried my best to win you over to team triple stack. I never factored in weight like other archers and bowhunters do. Maybe my mind will be blown if I ever switch to a lighter sight design. Then again, I like having a sight that feels bomb proof.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I will say my old eyes fell out of love the SH double pin and I cannot hunt with lights in Idaho. So it had to go. My BG new double pin gives me brighter pins and a moveable 2’nd pin. I’m settled at 20 and 35 that’s bottom maxed out. With 496 grain arrow going low 280s. If the new HHA double pin was adjustable I’ld be looking that way as well tetra sights are super under valued IMO. I loved the one I had I just wanted a double pin scope. They’re a few months to years behind the competition at that.

Holocene

WKR
A little late to the show, but will add some experience with the SH Fast Eddie double pin .019. I've hunted it for 5 years except for one season when I cheated on it and ran a 5-pin Montana Black Gold Pure 75.

Pros for SH Fast Eddie:
  • Beast of a sight. Dare I say unbreakable. I have fallen, endoed over my bike handlebars and fell on the bow, and drug this thing through the Oregon rainforest and it's never been damaged.
  • Works. Plain and simple.
  • Practical for most shooting -- set it at 20, and your pin gaps will ROUGHLY be 30 and 40 yards.
  • Easy to make sight tapes on Archers Advantage
  • For the two pin and single pin, you can index the head and use the sight for 3D and hunting with two separate heads -- though it's not optimally set up for that. Harder to do with their fixed pin heads.
  • Best in class customer service. Great people.
Cons
  • If you are super picky, the pin gaps will not correspond PERFECTLY to 20, 30, 40. Intead, you'll have something like 20, 29, 37... This bothers my noggin to no end but I live with it. The triple stack solves the problem at the cost of weight and expense.
  • Sight tapes are a pain to tape on the wheel compared to MBG, Axcel, etc. tapes.
  • Lack of indexable head. You can rig one of your own. Axcel wins here.
  • Sort of heavy? I don't notice. Not a huge deal if you run the shorter one.
Looking ahead, my next sight will likely be the Axcel Landslyde or HHA since they are adding some nice features that make the sight versatle and user friendly. For a pure get er done hunting sight, SH is still hard to beat and the Fast Eddie's can be had for half the price of Axcel if you scan used ads.

OP
E
Yeah, either of those sights would fix the pin gap issue you were having. With pin design on the triple stack, I never really noticed any black between the pins. I did hold my bow up and looked through the sight after reading your post. The black is there, but in the background. Again, never really stood out to me. I'm sure it's more pronounced on the double pin.

Hopefully you get dialed in on the right sight in the end. I tried my best to win you over to team triple stack. I never factored in weight like other archers and bowhunters do. Maybe my mind will be blown if I ever switch to a lighter sight design. Then again, I like having a sight that feels bomb proof.
Thanks man. That triple stack is a really really sweet piece of gear. I'm sure I'll tinker with one eventually! Weight only matters to me on my bow in terms of balance. I don't really care of its a little heavier over all as long as it holds the way I like.

Bomb proof is so important. I think a 5 pin spor hogg grinder, or a black gold Rush might might be the "buy one and never think again" sight.