Talk me out of a Nightforce NX8 1-8x10

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, I'm looking to get new glass. I have been using a Weaver K4 for about 10 years. It has worked well, held zero despite abuse year to year. It is lacking for shooting at distance however. Excuse all the writing, part of this is to see if anyone can shoot holes in how I arrived at wanting the Nightforce NX8 1-8x10.

This will go on a 30-06 Kimber Montana. This is a do everything rifle, from goats in the open alpine to brown bear in the alders. As such, I want a low range magnification of 3x or less. I don't plan on shooting past 500 yards (and that only after a lot of practice, at the moment 200 yards would be the furthest I would feel comfortable shooting an animal) so I would be fine with a top end of 8x to 10x. As I would like to start shooting further out, I want something that dials reliably.

Durability and reliability are high on my list. Size and weight come in second, I really don't want an objective over 42mm nor do I want a scope over 24 oz (and I would prefer it to be under 20 oz). Glass quality would be third. Price wise, above $2000 is absolutely out, however below $1000 would be nice. Adequate eye relief, the Weaver has 3.3 inches, and I have a scar from scoping myself with it (but I stopped stock crawling after that and have not done it again). While it is not hard to find options that are an upgrade to the Weaver I have now, I'm hoping to get something I will not want to replace in a few years and would rather stay with the Weaver for a few more years than spend several hundred on something I don't like.

All the really lightweight stuff (Swaro Z3, Leupold, Etc.) appears to lack the durability I want. It may be great, but I'm inclined to go for the surest thing as my time is limited and will be for the next few years and I don't want to wast it messing around with gear that does not function when things get rough. Which is also why I have stopped considering Tract or Maven, as they have not had the time to build a reputation and $700 on a Tract Toric is not cheap enough to be worth lost time.

With all this, I have pretty much settled on Nightforce and am debating between three scopes. The SHV 3-10x42, the NXS 2.5-10x42, and the NX8 1-8x24. Yes, I know many scopes have better glass than Nightforce, but it checks the first several criteria at a price point I can handle.

SHV 3-10x42.
Up sides: Price. Forceplex reticle. I have heard the glass is on par with the NXS.
Down sides: It is the heaviest of the three at 22.2 oz, it has the highest low range magnification, the SHV line is Nightforces lower end offering and probably is not as durable as the NXS and NX8. MOA only. Second focal plane (none issue with Forceplex reticle)

NXS 2.5-10x42.
Up sides: Solid reputation for durability. Available in mil/mil. 2.5x is a little lower than 3x for brush. 10x upper limit magnification with a precise reticle.
Down sides: Price. Has the shortest eye relief of the three at 3.3 inches. Comes in at 20.5 oz. Second focal plane

NX8 1-8x24
Up sides: Designed to be durable. Lightest at 17.0 oz. Longest eye relief at 3.7 inches. True 1x low magnification for fast shooting in brush if needed. Best glass out of the three. First focal plane. Available in mil/mil. Lowest profile of the three.
Down sides: Price. Center dot is large at 1.25 MOA (0.35 MRAD), covering over 6 inches at 500 yards. Meaning hold overs would need to be used for precision past about 200 yards. Coarse adjustments at 0.5 MOA or 0.2 MRAD. While very minor, I like the look of an objective bell.

Other than the reticle, the NX8 1-8x24 checks all the boxes I'm looking for. Am I over looking something? I've done enough research and reading the past several months it is quite possible at this point that I am. Is there another scope or company I should consider, keeping in mind that durability is my first priority and something like the Schmidt and Bender 1.5-8x42 Stratos is out of my price range. Does anyone have first hand experience with options like the Tract Toric to build confidence in its durability? Most scopes, if not abused, will provide adequate service. I want something that will survive abuse. While I try to avoid it, I have taken a few tumbles that left marks on me and my gear, and if I'm not broken I really don't want to have to turn back because my gear did not hold up.

Edited
The Weaver has 3.3 inches of eye relief, not 3.5 inches like I thought.

Last edited:
I have a NX8 1-8x on my 16” Grendel and it’s as legit a scope as I could ask for. I don’t have any issues with the reticle, but I’m still learning my holdovers. I’ve taken the Grendel out to 740yds with the NX8. Keeps my rifle light and balanced with the ability to do cover a lot of distances as needed. It’s in a Nf mount.

I had a Leupold 2.5-12x on the Grendel previously, and while it was nice, it was a bit overkill and made the rifle heavier than it needed to be.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a NX8 1-8x on my 16” Grendel and it’s as legit a scope as I could ask for. I don’t have any issues with the reticle, but I’m still learning my holdovers. I’ve taken the Grendel out to 740yds with the NX8. Keeps my rifle light and balanced with the ability to do cover a lot of distances as needed. It’s in a Nf mount.

I had a Leupold 2.5-12x on the Grendel previously, and while it was nice, it was a bit overkill and made the rifle heavier than it needed to be.

Thanks for the information on the reticle and long range.

CO-AJ

WKR
I would struggle to talk anyone out of a NF product. My precision gun has an ATACR 5-25 and the scope is purely awesome. Go for it!

LightFoot

WKR
The NX8 is a great scope. I think for the all-around optic, the NXS is a better choice.

Hard to argue with the reliability of NF.

I have (or have had) Zeiss, Swaro, Steiner, Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, and a few others.

Going forward, it is unlikely that I will go with anything other than Leupold or Vortex. I have had good experiences with. Ith and they will fix or replace anything that breaks on its own or that I break.

The new Vortex LHT would be a great all around optic. I run the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 on my 300 WSM, which is my current go-to. In your budget, the VX-5HD 2-10x or VX6 2-12x might be a good choice.

>>>----JAKE----->

I have an SHV and it's been a phenomenal scope for me, shoot it better than my old Leupold by a long shot. Clarity and low light visibility are outstanding. I am also extremely rough on it and it has shot dead on after many tumbles, bumps, you name it.

However, it is heavier than hell and every year I ask myself why I haven't sold it for something lighter.

I would run the 2.5x10 NXS. I have one on my lightweight 6.5SAUM and it's flat out superb. Sits low, reliable, fairly lightweight and repeatable dials day in day out.

One other potential option is the Razor Gen III. It is about the same price and gives you 10x instead of 8x. But the NX8...

The only problem I can see with the nx8 with the small objective lens would be gathering light at dawn and dusk, thats a high priority for me as most of the deer and elk I've killed have been right at first light.

I have an SHV and it's been a phenomenal scope for me, shoot it better than my old Leupold by a long shot. Clarity and low light visibility are outstanding. I am also extremely rough on it and it has shot dead on after many tumbles, bumps, you name it.

However, it is heavier than hell and every year I ask myself why I haven't sold it for something lighter.

And then you remember you want your scope to maintain zero and not ruin a hunt should you take one of those tumbles, bumps, you name it...so you keep the Nightforce and live with the weight for the reliability and peace of mind. But that's just me talking...😀

And then you remember you want your scope to maintain zero and not ruin a hunt should you take one of those tumbles, bumps, you name it...so you keep the Nightforce and live with the weight for the reliability and peace of mind. But that's just me talking...😀

That's what the high-end packs are for, to carry that scope around for me!

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The only problem I can see with the nx8 with the small objective lens would be gathering light at dawn and dusk, thats a high priority for me as most of the deer and elk I've killed have been right at first light.

Yes, I figure in low light above about 4x the exit pupil gets too small, though between 1-4 it should work. It is another negative to add to my list. I wish tactical was not what drove low power scope design as I think a 1-8x38 would be awesome.

Ram94

WKR
I’ll second what snowcamoman said. The nxs 2.5-10x42 is pretty sweet. You won’t notice the extra 3oz as much as you’ll notice the extra light gathering ability and zoom range over the nx8. I’d have gone that route if the funds allowed, but the Forceplex 3-10 SHV has been awesome for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

I have not heard any complaints on the SHV, so perhaps I should consider it a bit more. Even with the SHV the Montana would still be lighter than the Sako (with the 9.5 oz Weaver) it replaced. Plus, if I want to replace it in the future I could move it to the rifle I plan on putting together for me kids (I have several years until it is needed still). On that, the weight would help with recoil and by extension their learning to shoot. It would also be easier on the wallet.

On that, the weight would help with recoil and by extension their learning to shoot. It would also be easier on the wallet.

It definitely helps, I was having recoil issues with my Tikka and after swapping my lightweight Leupold out the issues were largely resolved. Didn't notice a huge different in the field, but at the range I did.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ll second what snowcamoman said. The nxs 2.5-10x42 is pretty sweet. You won’t notice the extra 3oz as much as you’ll notice the extra light gathering ability and zoom range over the nx8. I’d have gone that route if the funds allowed, but the Forceplex 3-10 SHV has been awesome for me so far.

Funds are tempting me towards the SHV 3-10 with Forceplex as well. Being able to carve out a certain amount, and it being a good idea to do so, are not the same thing.

SHV / NXS / NX8
Weight 22.2 oz / 20.5 oz / 17.0 oz
Eye relief 3.5 in / 3.3 in / 3.7 in
Parallax Fixed / Adjustable / Fixed
Reticle Forceplex / Mil-R / FC-MIL
Magnification 3-10 / 2.5-10 / 1-8
Turrets Capped / Zero-stop / Zero-stop
Adjustments MOA / Mil / Mil

Not sure I can find a $600 difference between the SHV and NXS. I like the longer eye relief, capped turrets, and Forceplex reticle of the SHV. For a scope to teach my kids on, the fixed parallax would also be a plus as it keeps things simple. I will assume glass quality between the SHV and NXS is the same, based on what I have read elsewhere. 2 oz, for less than 10% difference in weight is at most worth $200, though I could shave about 2 oz off the rifle if I spent $130 on a Titanium bolt handle and fluted the bolt. The NXS brings a slightly better low magnification level, Mil/Mil, and a time tested reputation for durability.

The NX8 (vs SHV) comes closer to adding $700 in value with better glass, 5 oz lighter, longer eye relief, and 1x low range magnification. However, better glass cannot compensate for a small exit pupil in low light.

Last edited:

Ram94

WKR
Funds are tempting me towards the SHV 3-10 with Forceplex as well. Being able to carve out a certain amount, and it being a good idea to do so, are not the same thing.

SHV NXS NX8
Weight 22.2 oz 20.5 oz 17.0 oz
Eye relief 3.5 in 3.3 in 3.7 in
Parallax Fixed Adjustable Fixed
Reticle Forceplex Mil-R FC-MIL
Magnification 3-10 2.5-10 1-8
Turrets Capped Zero-stop Zero-stop
Adjustments MOA Mil Mil

Not sure I can find a $600 difference between the SHV and NXS. I like the longer eye relief, capped turrets, and Forceplex reticle of the SHV. For a scope to teach my kids on, the fixed parallax would also be a plus as it keeps things simple. I will assume glass quality between the SHV and NXS is the same, based on what I have read elsewhere. 2 oz, for less than 10% difference in weight is at most worth $200, though I could shave about 2 oz off the rifle if I spent $130 on a Titanium bolt handle and fluted the bolt. The NXS brings a slightly better low magnification level, Mil/Mil, and a time tested reputation for durability.

The NX8 (vs SHV) comes closer to adding $700 in value with better glass, 5 oz lighter, longer eye relief, and 1x low range magnification. However, better glass cannot compensate for a small exit pupil in low light.

I think you’re on the right track. The NXS would’ve gotten a closer look for me if they offered it in a Forceplex. Also, if you do some looking you may be able to find a used SHV without illumination. They’re an ounce or two lighter than the current model however they do have adjustable parallax.

jofes

WKR
Do the NXS, the NX8 is not conducive to long range shooting based the the reticle from my experience. I would take the NXS any day unless shooting 200 and under. I have not personally used the SHV.

To me the NXS is what you described your after.
Don't let the price difference determine you may regret it later and it will cost more to upgrade again.
Check our euro optic they have had some good deals.
You will get used to the busy reticle pretty quickly and having some wind hold Mark's will be nice.

You may also want to check out a Huskemaw BD 3-12x42