Talk Me Out Of A Quilt

Im in the market for a new sleeping bag for an archery elk hunt. I’m close to punching the trigger on a Katabatic Flex 22 quilt after hearing everyone rant and rave about quilts in general. I just realized everything I’ve consumed on quilts has been mostly positive and haven’t heard much on the opposing argument. Talk me out of buying a quilt and just sticking with a high end mummy bag instead.

I’ve considered a western mountaineering bag and the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite sleeping bag as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bearwhisky
No way, they are awesome. You might need to reevaluate your pad choice depending on what you currently have, and dedicate a sleeping beanie or baclava.

Sea To Summit Ether light insulated pad

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for 20+ degrees I think a quilt is valid choice; in my experience temps below 20 I do a lot better with a sleeping bag

I've been using Feathered Friends Flicker series the last couple of years- part quilt, part sleeping bag- kind of the best of both worlds

OP
Bearwhisky
Dr. Googles says 3.2 R value, I'd ask your quilt maker what they think. I would give it a try knowing it might not be ideal.

I believe I am still in my return window for that pad. Its damn comfortable and actually fits me (Im 6’5” and move like a crackhead in my sleep), but may be better off exchanging it if I need something warmer for a quilt. Strongly considered the X therm, but was hard to pass up the size and thickness of this s2s (4” vs 2.5”).

I believe I am still in my return window for that pad. Its damn comfortable and actually fits me (Im 6’5” and move like a crackhead in my sleep), but may be better off exchanging it if I need something warmer for a quilt. Strongly considered the X therm, but was hard to pass up the size and thickness of this s2s (4” vs 2.5”).

I think they make a more heavily insulated model of that same pad.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You can uzip a bag and use it like a quilt but you cannot zip up a quilt. Use my bags as quilts quite a lot.
True, but you loose the connection system to the pad and I find the bag hood annoying. However, it works well enough that I have been wanting a quilt for a few years, but keep putting my gear money towards other things.

OP
Bearwhisky
I think they make a more heavily insulated model of that same pad.

Yea I considered that one but the dang thing weighs as much as my tent. Looks like it packs up to the size of a basketball too. Bummer.

Quilt user in Alaska here for the past 6 seasons. I thought they were the way to go for quite some time. However, even small drafts have a tendency to wake me up. I’ve realized that I’ve consistently not gotten the quality of sleep that I should have been getting.
I switched this year to a Feathered Friends Tanager 950+ fill zipperless bag that weighs 19 oz. I’ve never slept better than in this bag. I won’t be using my quilts anymore if the weather is 40 or below.
There are more options for ultralight sleep systems than just quilts, if you look around a bit.

CJF

WKR
My temp is about 25 and below.....anything above that and I will definitely have my quilt!!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Quilt user in Alaska here for the past 6 seasons. I thought they were the way to go for quite some time. However, even small drafts have a tendency to wake me up. I’ve realized that I’ve consistently not gotten the quality of sleep that I should have been getting.
I switched this year to a Feathered Friends Tanager 950+ fill zipperless bag that weighs 19 oz. I’ve never slept better than in this bag. I won’t be using my quilts anymore if the weather is 40 or below.
There are more options for ultralight sleep systems than just quilts, if you look around a bit.

Which quilt were you using? A more generous cut on a mummy bag and no hood would solve two of my problems, not sure on no zipper though.

OP
Bearwhisky
This discusses both sides of the argument. https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...kY2xvdWQsMjAxMDp0cmFja3MvMTI2MzM4MDE5MQ?ep=14

I want a quilt, I already use my sleeping bag like a quilt. As is pointed out on the podcast, do you have an issue with sleeping bags that a quilt will solve, or is a quilt a solution looking for a problem. The answer will vary for different individuals.

One reason I want to switch is bag size. Ive owned 5 or 6 mummy bags advertised as 6’6” but when I put the hood up, my feet compress the insulation and I feel constricted. The models they use must be 6’ 6” and wear a size 9 boots with the shoulder width of a 10year old. The two exceptions to this have been the Kifaru Slick bag and a Sierra Designs. I like both of these bags but they are heavy. I’m really wanting to shave some weight this year and both of these are well over 3 lb in the long versions. I’m tired of buying and returning mummy bags that aren’t big enough and feel like a quilt (long/wide version) will alleviate this issue without severe weight penalties.

I bought a quilt last season for my first archery elk hunt and I won’t buy another. I thought it did a good job of keeping me warm but if I tried to roll over all the cold would come in. Temps were in the 20s. I didn’t sleep well with it. That’s my 1 and only experience with it, for what it’s worth. Best wishes

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll get pros and cons both ways.
I made the quilt switch last year.....love it.
El Coyote is who I went with.....very good quality and very warm.
I'm a warm sleeper and my mistake was getting one too warm. I just find the freedom with the quilt is WAY better thar a burrito.🙂

Randy

Marble

WKR
One reason I want to switch is bag size. Ive owned 5 or 6 mummy bags advertised as 6’6” but when I put the hood up, my feet compress the insulation and I feel constricted. The models they use must be 6’ 6” and wear a size 9 boots with the shoulder width of a 10year old. The two exceptions to this have been the Kifaru Slick bag and a Sierra Designs. I like both of these bags but they are heavy. I’m really wanting to shave some weight this year and both of these are well over 3 lb in the long versions. I’m tired of buying and returning mummy bags that aren’t big enough and feel like a quilt (long/wide version) will alleviate this issue without severe weight penalties.

I've got the slick bag also in the wide/long zero degree version. It is heavy but atleast I can compress it down to being manageable.

I am not thrilled with its weight, but it's so comfortable and I sleep so much better in it it's worth the wight penalty for me.

I'm 6'1" 220, very broad shoulders and wear a 15 boot. So there are a lot of bags that advertised being "big" but really are not like the slick bag.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about making the switch to a quilt as well but been too nervous to pull the trigger. I've done tons of research, get ready to buy and talk myself out of it.
The brand I've almost pulled the trigger on several times recently is Enlightened Equipment. The bags are made in Minnesota and they do custom orders for down fill, outer material thickness and colors, as well as having a wide variety of sizes.

They offer an x-long and according to the size guide should fit 6'6"-7'.
The conundrum and convert are the models I've considered because they can be zipped all the way up essentially turning them into a bag.
Biggest Con I see with a quilt is having to sleep in a beanie.