Talk Me Out Of A Quilt

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I love my EE 30° quilt down to 30°. 25-30° I can manage but the last hour of sleep can get unpleasant. Haven’t tried a quilt below that yet.
I’m tall and a side sleeper, went with tall/wide, no complaints.

OP
Bearwhisky
I've got the slick bag also in the wide/long zero degree version. It is heavy but atleast I can compress it down to being manageable.

I am not thrilled with its weight, but it's so comfortable and I sleep so much better in it it's worth the wight penalty for me.

I'm 6'1" 220, very broad shoulders and wear a 15 boot. So there are a lot of bags that advertised being "big" but really are not like the slick bag.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yea thats the same one I have and absolutely love it. Its just way overkill for archery season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Yea thats the same one I have and absolutely love it. Its just way overkill for archery season.

I bought an REI Magna 20 degree bag, might be a 10 degree, down, regular size and barely big enough that weighs less than 2 pounds and packs down to a large football. It's not as comfortable as my slick bag but good enough. I put it on a sea to summit inflatable pad and I sleep pretty well. Something like that might be an option for you.

What I strugglled with for awhile was a pillow. I tried all sorts of stuff and couldn't figure it out. I was wrapping all my clothes into one jacket and making a pillow. Then it would fall apart blah blah blah. Now I just bring an empty pillow case and put all my clothes in it. Works well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

A quilt was too drafty for me. Spent more time fiddling with it than I did sleeping under it. Probably user error more than anything but not worth the risk of losing sleep to continue the trial and error process for me. Went back to my trusty Slick Bag with zero complaints. Planning to try a WM Kodiak this season as my first dip into a down bag.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a super hot sleeper, toss and turn and sleep on my side. I will never ever use anything but a quilt. I have a viam outdoors 0 degree quilt and I’ve used it down to -15 and was happy but for some cold air getting in at my feet.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
A quilt was too drafty for me. Spent more time fiddling with it than I did sleeping under it. Probably user error more than anything but not worth the risk of losing sleep to continue the trial and error process for me. Went back to my trusty Slick Bag with zero complaints. Planning to try a WM Kodiak this season as my first dip into a down bag.
Wider quilt with a skinnier pad helps, and proper attachment to pad.
That said I’ll probably get an extra wide when I get a quilt for colder temps just to be more forgiving with tossing and turning.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
What I strugglled with for awhile was a pillow. I tried all sorts of stuff and couldn't figure it out. I was wrapping all my clothes into one jacket and making a pillow. Then it would fall apart blah blah blah. Now I just bring an empty pillow case and put all my clothes in it. Works well.
I did the extra clothes in stuffed jacket for a while. Eventually got a nemo fillo for a car camping trip once and it’s been great. Weight worth carrying for sure.

Lowg08

WKR
I have the big Agnes echo park 0 degree. It’s the best of all world. I can zip it off for a quilt, add a BA wedging and zip the quilt into a bag or partial open quilt or leave on the pad attachment and put a pad in the sleeve. Beat of all worlds

TXCO

WKR
Im not a fan. They have lots of heat loss for minimal weight savings and it just doesnt practically add up to me. I think theyre great for summer camping but not much more than that.

I would suspect a lot of these folks with draft issues are probably using regular width quilts. I don’t even know why there is such a thing - OP make sure you buy a wide width.

With that said, I don’t think I’d want to go under 25 or so with a quilt. It’s one thing if it’s a freak night during the summer or early fall, but I wouldn’t go out on a late fall or winter trip with a quilt. Sleeping bags are definitely welcome that time of year.

Rt_nevada

FNG
I switched last season to an el coyote 10 degree quilt and love it. I tested it out in the low 20’s cowboy camping and I was plenty warm. I woke up once from a draft but it was due to me not quite having the retention bands on the pad correctly, but after I got that sorted it was great.

Rob5589

WKR
I just used a quilt for the first time (El Coyote 20*) and it was awesome. I side sleep and move a ton (not comfortable on air mattresses) and it was just the ticket. I was hesitant but even a wide/long bag didn't work so I took the leap. It was mid twenties, used a 4.9r pad, light pants, light shirt, light thermal, and was borderline too warm. I lean slightly toward being a cold sleeper.

The EC is very nice, super quality, great attachment system, very warm for the rating. Made in AZ, too.

Drenalin

WKR
One reason I want to switch is bag size. Ive owned 5 or 6 mummy bags advertised as 6’6” but when I put the hood up, my feet compress the insulation and I feel constricted. The models they use must be 6’ 6” and wear a size 9 boots with the shoulder width of a 10year old. The two exceptions to this have been the Kifaru Slick bag and a Sierra Designs. I like both of these bags but they are heavy. I’m really wanting to shave some weight this year and both of these are well over 3 lb in the long versions. I’m tired of buying and returning mummy bags that aren’t big enough and feel like a quilt (long/wide version) will alleviate this issue without severe weight penalties.

There are a handful of quilt manufacturers that will do custom work for you...just call and talk through your concerns, you an probably get something with enough extra length without a huge price increase. Quilts also have the same temp rating issues as bags - some are true to temp or warmer than advertised, some are simply dreaming on the temps they advertise.

To your point about talking you out of a quilt, my only gripe is that pad attachment systems can be finicky and take some getting used to. Without solving that relatively simple riddle, you'll have drafts and probably won't sleep well. If your quilt isn't wide enough, you'll have drafts and probably won't sleep well. Drafts, to me, are the biggest downside - but it's not an insurmountable problem, in general.

sndmn11

WKR
I researched custom ones for a year, and then spur of the moment ordered an astralite despite it seeming to be less regarded as others. Soo happy I did.

I think an overlooked component of "I sleep cold" is people being too hot and sweating, which causes them their body to cool them off. Get snug in the right insulation and you'll sleep through the night easier.

OP
Bearwhisky
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Lots of great information.

You can uzip a bag and use it like a quilt but you cannot zip up a quilt. Use my bags as quilts quite a lot.
This. Plenty of bags that can be unzipped to quilt or partial quilt mode.

I am an active side sleeper. Tried 3 quilts and just can’t keep the drafts out. I sleep warm and open up my bag a lot but I am a bag guy for about 40* and below. Try a quilt. It takes some technique. If it ain’t for you, you will know it After a night or two.

someone mentioned the EE convert above. I have one. It works pretty well. I went apex and it is bulkier and heavier than I was hoping. So in a way, it is either a heavy, bulky quilt or a featureless bag (no hood, draft tube, etc.). Kind of the worst of both worlds. I don’t hate it, but I am not sure I would buy it again. If you go EE, Size up as their specs are based on the dimensions of the unfilled blank. The final, filled product will be 4-6 inches shorter than the published spec.

FWIW I think it is tough to cut weight sleeping bag weight and still have roomy for the husky crowd. i am a bigger guy to. 6’3”. 250#. 50” shoulders. Kifaru 20* slick bag has become my go to. I also like the 20* Nemo forte. Their spoon design leaves a lot of leg and knee room for side sleeping and the shoulders are pretty good among the commercial bag makers. I don’t currently have a super cold bag but I will add a western mountaineering bag to the stable when I book my next cold weather trip. Saving my pennies for a Sequoia.

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
One reason I want to switch is bag size. Ive owned 5 or 6 mummy bags advertised as 6’6” but when I put the hood up, my feet compress the insulation and I feel constricted. The models they use must be 6’ 6” and wear a size 9 boots with the shoulder width of a 10year old. The two exceptions to this have been the Kifaru Slick bag and a Sierra Designs. I like both of these bags but they are heavy. I’m really wanting to shave some weight this year and both of these are well over 3 lb in the long versions. I’m tired of buying and returning mummy bags that aren’t big enough and feel like a quilt (long/wide version) will alleviate this issue without severe weight penalties.

I might be pointing out the obvious here, but I cant help but notice you didn't mention Western Mountaineering.

The Badger and Kodiak are both offered in a 7'0 length and are cut wide. The Badger is 2 lbs 10 oz in 7'0 length. They also have a Sequoia if you want an extra wide cut.... and it still weighs 3/4 of a lb less than a wide/long Slick bag (stated specs, not first hand experience).

I have a Badger and love it as I am also an active sleeper. I have extra fill in mine and have had it below zero with no issues. I used to think I was a cold sleeper - I just realized most bags suck and their stated lower limit rating is BS. I can sleep in my WM comfortably below its stated rating. By all accounts FF is similar in regards to temp ratings, but I don't have first hand experience.

Last edited:
OP
Bearwhisky
I might be pointing out the obvious here, but I cant help but notice you didn't mention Western Mountaineering.

The Badger and Kodiak are both offered in a 7'0 length and are cut wide. The Badger is 2 lbs 10 oz in 7'0 length. They also have a Sequoia if you want an extra wide cut.... and it still weighs 3/4 of a lb less than a wide/long Slick bag (stated specs, not first hand experience).

I have a Badger and love it as I am also an active sleeper. I have extra fill in mine and have had it below zero with no issues. I used to think I was a cold sleeper - I just realized most bags suck and their stated lower limit rating is BS. I can sleep in my WM comfortably below its stated rating. By all accounts FF is the same, but I don't have first hand experience.

I mentioned them in the OP as considerations of mine other than a quilt. The 7’ is very attractive. Badger is of most interest for sure. Appreciate the input! I’m currently leaning towards that over a quilt.