Talk me out of a Swaro X5i

CCooper

WKR
Die hard NXS guy here. I have several with MOAR reticle and it is what I am used to. I tried a 4-32 NX8 and couldn’t warm up to the reticle, very fine and parallax adjustment was very finicky for my taste (maybe tight eyebox issue) anyway, it didn’t stick around and I picked up another NXS. Long story short, NXS glass isn’t swaro glass and I love my swaro glass. Never had the chance to look through a X5i or play with one. For those of you who own one, Is the juice worth the squeeze? Let’s please keep this one from derailing. I would love some good feedback from those who have spent some time with one.
Thanks.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I have one on my Armalite AR10 SASS. Love it. Can't say how it tracks next to a Nightforce, but the glass.... Can't beat Swaro for clarity. Swaro is what made me realize clarity trumps magnification. Back to the X5, yes the juice is worth the squeeze.

I have been using one (non-illum 3.5-18) for a few years now and it is nice. What I don't like - windage turret: it's uncapped/doesn't lock and gradations aren't marked L/R, also sometimes the grub screws come loose and it spins a bit. Overall turret bulk, somewhat complicated 0-stop, special tools to adjust. Relatively nit-picky stuff, but it's an expensive instrument.

Love the 4wx reticle, glass is great, good eye relief and box, weight is reasonable, seems to track reliably. There's times I wonder why I spent all that $$ on a scope that I don't use to it's full potential - I do spin the turrets, but don't shoot beyond 600 yards hardly at all. Swaro glass certainly isn't necessary for a hunting scope.

There, I did my best :)

ericF

WKR
I have two non-illuminated X5's A 5-25 and a 3.5-18. The 5-25 went to Alaska and had no issues bouncing around in super cubs between a sheep and a moose. I haven't really used that scope since then, but the 3.5-18 has been well used. It is on a Ruger American Predator that is not treated kindly and has help up well through rain, snow, dirt and multiple Deer and Antelope.

Have many z5 great scopes ! Would not buy anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
Die hard NXS guy here. I have several with MOAR reticle and it is what I am used to. I tried a 4-32 NX8 and couldn’t warm up to the reticle, very fine and parallax adjustment was very finicky for my taste (maybe tight eyebox issue) anyway, it didn’t stick around and I picked up another NXS. Long story short, NXS glass isn’t swaro glass and I love my swaro glass. Never had the chance to look through a X5i or play with one. For those of you who own one, Is the juice worth the squeeze? Let’s please keep this one from derailing. I would love some good feedback from those who have spent some time with one.
Thanks.
Look through a Night Force - then turn the turrets. You'll never look back. Swaro has solid glass I'll give them that but the turrets are "swishy" to me. They have a new line this year that puts NF in your price point. Worth a look - if you want to go big check out the ATACR line. I own an ATACR and a NX8, love em!

WRO

WKR
Look through a Night Force - then turn the turrets. You'll never look back. Swaro has solid glass I'll give them that but the turrets are "swishy" to me. They have a new line this year that puts NF in your price point. Worth a look - if you want to go big check out the ATACR line. I own an ATACR and a NX8, love em!
I have an Actar in my safe, x5 turrets are anything but mushy, maybe z5 turrets. I used to run an x5 and should've never sold it, I run kahles 318i and 525i most of the time now. Same glass as the Swarovski, but I prefer ffp and love the set up.

I cannot stand the eyeboxes in nightforces.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thanks.
If you're looking for excellent glass and reliability that trumps NF then look into the March FX 4.5-28
It has a really great eye box with the widest FOV that I've ever seen.
Also the glass is so freaking clear that I didn't go above 15 power shooting at 1300 yards last weekend.
My NF experience was super disappointing, even before I looked through the March, and x5s have too many negative tracking reports for my comfort.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned and sold the Z6i, which is the model that I felt the turrets were squishy. Maybe the X5i is different with the different turrets. Is the glass in the Swaro clearer than NF Atacr - slightly sure. Enough to choose it over a repeatable turret and NF durability - no chance. At this level the clarity is in the edges, is the clarity of either going to make or break a 500 yard shot - NOPE. This was on a 6.5cm that I wasn't really hunting/shooting with past 500 at game. I took on the extra 10oz+ with NF with a 20moa base because I wanted to do more with the rifle.

Just my experience, everyone's eyes are different. I love the new Swaro NL's, likely the best glass I've every looked through. Spotters are the same way. I did have a warranty issue with mine and the experience was pleasant, so was the customer service.

Cheers!

I have owned and sold the Z6i, which is the model that I felt the turrets were squishy. Maybe the X5i is different with the different turrets.

Kind of like comparing a leupy vx3/5/6 to a nightforce rather than a mark 5 or 8.