Talk me out of buying a 300 PRC

aman

FNG
I currently have a 270 Win Tikka T3x, my only rifle. Looking for a bigger gun for elk and long range shooting. I handload all of my ammo. Want fast twist barrel and ability to seat bullets long.

Would get a Tikka T3x 300 Win Mag if it met those criteria.

Looking at either a CA Mesa or Bargara.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a top-shelf scope on the Tikka?
Have you gotten everything out of it you can - group size, shooting long-range, field position shooting, etc...

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do you have a lot of experience shooting big magnums? How far do you want to be able to shoot an elk? Are you going to run a suppressor or a brake? If brake, have you shot a braked rifle?

Ha ha
Who's asking the questions here.
I'd say you'll be well served with a 300 PRC, its about the perfect LR hunting cartridge in my opinion.
It is the new and improved 300 WM, and it will replace it as America's 30 cal magnum.

I've loaded one for a friend (CA Ridgeline) and its pretty impressive/ easy to tune, recoil with 212 eldx bullets is nothing with the factory brake.
With Lapua brass its an absolute no brainer, I'd have one myself but since I built a custom I decided on 30 Nosler because I like the case design a little more.

N2TRKYS

WKR
150 grain Partitions going 3000 fps out of your 270 Win will kill alot of elk. That covers your elk hunting.

Now for your long range shooting, get a 6 or 6.5 caliber in a cartridge of your choosing. It’ll be more pleasant to shoot than a heavy hitting magnum on the range. You were wanting to buy a new rifle anyway, right?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
What is long-range?

A 140 Berger at 2800fps will put you at 700yards before it drops below 1800fps - is that long enough?

The 130 Classic Hunter at 2950 will get you to 800 before dropping out.

More gun will not make up for lack of proficiency. Can you now reliably hit at 700 yards?

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ca long range and really like it. It’s on the heavy side but it helps for the recoil. I’m sure the bargara is fine although I think it might be a little more difficult to re barrel. Mine didn’t shoot factory Hornady very well but it definitely does good with hand loads. I used a tuner to get max velocity and keep a cycling seating depth. Hope that helps your decision

deadwolf

WKR
If you handload, I’d go RUM or nosler. The PRCs biggest advantage is quality factory ammo with heavy bullets.

Maybe a RUM with a custom chambering, I hate how far bullets are seated in the RUM, same as the WM. Still, a RUM is a go getter for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
If you handload, I’d go RUM or nosler. The PRCs biggest advantage is quality factory ammo with heavy bullets.
If you're going to hand load, the 300 norma..Quality brass is relatively to get and and you don't run into the coal issues you get with a rum running the big heavies (225+).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

What is long-range?

A 140 Berger at 2800fps will put you at 700yards before it drops below 1800fps - is that long enough?

The 130 Classic Hunter at 2950 will get you to 800 before dropping out.

More gun will not make up for lack of proficiency. Can you now reliably hit at 700 yards?
Uh OK
Are you saying the partition is a good 800 yard hunting bullet? cuz I was talking about the Partition and LR shooting specifically..
Im not going to wade into another silly Rokslide debate about killing elk at a half mile with the smallest caliber available

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Uh OK
Are you saying the partition is a good 800 yard hunting bullet? cuz I was talking about the Partition and LR shooting specifically..
Im not going to wade into another silly Rokslide debate about killing elk at a half mile with the smallest caliber available
No need to debate anything, my friend.

That Partition is not a LR bullet, I agree. There are, however, alternatives like I was illustrating. Long-range is different to every person, based on skillset and equipment.

Taking the thread post at its face value, I am making the case for keeping the 270 and maximizing the potential of the rifle and shooter - something I wish I would have done starting out years ago.

OP
aman

aman

FNG
If I was doing custom chambering I'd just get a 300 Win Mag and chamber such it seats long bullets appropriately. I'm also not interested in 300 RUM or Lapua because the main reason that the 300 PRC interests me is it provides long mags and fast twist rate out of the box due to SAAMI spec.

Depends on what you call long range. What range are you wanting to use them?
I've killed 3 bulls with 140 partitions, all inside 300 yards and they were awesome.
Beyond approx. 400 they suck real bad, my longest kill on a bull is past 900 yards.
I've used them all and NOTHING puts them down at long range (600 +) like a heavy 30 cal Berger

WRO

WKR
I've killed 3 bulls with 140 partitions, all inside 300 yards and they were awesome.
Beyond approx. 400 they suck real bad, my longest kill on a bull is past 900 yards.
I've used them all and NOTHING puts them down at long range (600 +) like a heavy 30 cal Berger
Plus the beauty of a big 300 is bucking the wind..

Eldms have been absolutely lethal for me, but my body of work with them is only 9 or 10 elk so far..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR

Good on you for recognizing that you need to get closer to shoot animals.